Bells for bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
greyingbeard

Bells for bikes

Post by greyingbeard »

Lion make a very good pinger bell here in UK.

Does anyone make a traditional rrrring-rrring bell ? Rotating clockwork innards, double clapper by washers I believe.
mjr

Re: Bells for bikes

Post by mjr »

Adie, among many others: Bibia, Widek...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Yes I got a couple from china for peanuts

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bycicle-Bell-Vintage-Metal-Body-Ring-Sound-Loud-Handlebar-Iron-Silver-UK/392859071990?

The metal is mild steel I suppose so I was able to bend some of the bits to get better action. They are also small ( about 6cm) but sound fine. The only people who dont hear it are those with ear phones in

or

https://bobbinbikes.com/collections/bells

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bells-horns/widek-bibia-chrome-plated-steel-crown-bell/
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Sep 2020, 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yep, widek, oxford, D2O branded ones are available, amongst others. Most of the cheap ones have a plastic thumb button so cannot be expected to last forever (the plastic tends to go brittle even if it doesn't start out that way). Some models have an aluminium bell, some are chromed steel (which usually sounds better but eventually rusts of course).

Worthy of mention is the spanninga 'turning bell'. With others here

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/bells

This is cheaply made (and not everyone likes the way it works) but it sits alongside the handlebar not on top of it, so it is much less likely to get damaged. If you want to turn the bike upside down safely without having to move anything on the handlebar this is a good choice.

In terms of penetrating the consciousness of the average erratic/dozy pedestrian without alarming them, I still think a 'drringg-drringg' bell is probably best, closely followed by a 'ping-ping' from a pinger. The 'ding-dong' bells are good but I suspect they may not so quickly mean 'bike' to most people.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Halfords, Poundland, Home bargains et all. Pink with unicorns good. Or Super Mario.
All better than the most expensive single pinger which no non cyclist recognises as a bell.
Bells work well under the saddle as every old time trialist knew.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BTW some bells just sound terrible to me; impure main tones, with odd overtones. It shouldn't really matter of course but I much prefer a bell which has a nice musical-sounding tone.

I think things such as the shape and mounting of the bell are important. I also think that it is virtually impossible not to colour the sound of a 'drring-dringg' bell; the reason is that there has to be a projection on the inside which is struck; this is either a pin that is welded inside or a formed projection. These alter the weight of the bell and/or the stiffness respectively, and can colour the tone accordingly.

Ping and 'Ding dong' bells have no such projections so in theory can make a purer tone. If there were such a thing as a much smaller 'ding dong' bell, I'd probably favour it.

cheers
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brucey wrote:
The 'ding-dong' bells are good but I suspect they may not so quickly mean 'bike' to most people.

cheers

Indeed some may think that the witch is dead.

To the OP be carefully regarding the bar clamp width with some cheap bells. I got one from the Poundshop and the clamp was tiny. Probably only suited to a child's bike. Another from the Euro shop in the Netherlands was fine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that'll scatter folk ahead of you...?

cheers
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

I much prefer the brrrrring over the ping on a bell and picked on up from Halfords, it needs a little modding to fit on my bike but all sorted now.

I like how you can alter the tone depending on how you ring it so it can be gentle or more urgent.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I don't care who makes it or how it works, it just has to be small, loud and rattle-free. I have a boxful of bells that meet two of those criteria, but only one that meets all three.

Undeaf peds who don't use earphones, that's another story. (You'll be lucky - Ed).
Have we got time for another cuppa?
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

try to communicazte with them and what you get is an offended shrug, Im on the phone. No manners. The countryside is for enjoying, not extending the banal suburban trivia of most peoples existences.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

I used to have a Chater-lea copy bell, it wasn't small,had a double lever action ,press down for one bong,return lever bonged a semi tone higher.
When I say Bong, think Big Ben 'Bong', certainly was loud.
Mounted on the quill stem, so used to whack with the palm of the hand, unfortunately it went missing in action, pilfered!
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

where my chinese bell is

WP_20200916_12_18_05_Pro.jpg

my fingers on the drop bars on the tops can activate the bell on the bracket below. good little bell

The "T" bracket came from china I think cost me just £1.50.I bought 3, incl free postage
mjr

Post by mjr »

greyingbeard wrote:The countryside is for enjoying, not extending the banal suburban trivia of most peoples existences.

Who appointed you Kaiser of the countryside? At least they're not blocking the back roads with their DIY waste. Those are the ones to get really upset about!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The ‘Hornit’ up to 140 dBs of ‘I’m behind you’.

https://hornit.com/

I won’t leave home without one.