The AA for cyclists press release???

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
catz2271

The AA for cyclists press release???

Post by catz2271 »

Hi my son who is nearly 12 cycled to school this morning and as he was about to leave school for the return journey he asked a friend to hold his bike up while he put on his helmet. He has had the bike less than 2 months from Halfords. His friend decided to run off with the bike as a joke and she fell and he couldnt ride it home and actually had to carry it and its a 26" Cipher. The rear brake wont work as the cable has come out of the 2 arms which are supposed to be upright and are connected to the brake pads. I have tried to reconnect it like the front but I cant. I am arthritic so not great with fiddly things. I put in a search aengine if there was a cycle version of the AA and I was directed to a press release from cycling UK. I live in greater manchester but how do I contact them for help in getting my son back on the road. He loves his bike going school, football training and just for a ride around the block when he is feeling stressed. Like I said before I bought it from Halfords and they said they can fix it but wont come out to the house and I have to take it to them. I don't drive, and it isnt foldable so cant take it on the bus. He can't ride it to Halfords as there is a very busy motorway junction roundabout between here and there and not safe for him. So I cant get it to him. I have tried to explain the situation but they cant/wont help. Hope you can help
flat tyre

Re: The AA for cyclists press release???

Post by flat tyre »

You may find that there is a local mobile bike mechanic, try searching for local bike repairs.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

catz2271 wrote:I live in greater manchester but how do I contact them for help in getting my son back on the road.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/groups-listing

Yes, local mobile mechanic as above.

+ Local bike shop, even if they don't advertise mobile service.

+ Ask school for contacts.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

flat tyre wrote:You may find that there is a local mobile bike mechanic, try searching for local bike repairs.

Or try asking on any social media groups of http://www.gmcc.org.uk for suggestions or help.

https://www.gmcc.org.uk/links/greater-m ... discounts/ includes a mobile mechanic for south Manc.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I'd hoped the thread was about addiction issues - I would love to cut down on the miles, but the more I do the worse it gets,
peetee

Post by peetee »

As the brake is not functioning he shouldn’t try to ride it. It sounds like the brake has just been released (used when the wheel needs to be removed) and the brake isn’t actually broken but pay close attention to the front brake, if the back looks damaged then seek professional help.
If it looks undamaged try this:
At the brake lever where the cable comes out there is an adjuster barrel with a locking collar. Wind the collar towards the end where it joins the cable and the adjuster barrel in towards the lever. This should slacken the brake cable enough to reset the brake arms at the wheel. There is a loose metal bracket on one arm, the end of the curved aluminium pipe slots into this (it can be fiddly because the rubber bellows may get in the way and you have to bring the arms up against spring tension. With the curved pipe slotted in the whole assembly should hold the brake pads near the wheel rim. Now you have to check the Brake will work when the lever is pulled. If not then turn the lever adjuster out until you can feel the brakes working at about half the lever pull.
Last edited by peetee on 17 Sep 2020, 9:41am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Where abouts in Greater Manchester are you? There are quite a few options of local shops and charitys who will help you get it sorted.