irony of selling a plastic cap from China to highlight climate change

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
nomm

irony of selling a plastic cap from China to highlight climate change

Post by nomm »

I was in the market for a new cap - so when I saw this I thought, well thats a nice design and it donates money to climate change and Sustrans have had a hand in it etc - https://www.primaleurope.com/collection ... -1850-2019 - Alas I should have checked a bit more throughly

On Primals description page it stated "100% breathable, soft-yet-durable cotton"(which they have now removed since I have asked for a refund), I know this because I have a screen shot of it.

So... I was annoyed when my new cap arrived and it stated 100% polyester - made in china on the label! None of my cycling caps I have bought over the years have been made from plastic - nearly all are 100% or nearly 100% cotton, and it turns out none of them were made in china. Only Europe or USA (all of which were bought in the country of manufacturer).

Now, I am sure it was produced with the best intentions and I am aware it's sometimes quite hard to find clothing not made of plastic and produced in china... but not impossible. And with Sustrans happy to stick their name on it, they might have checked.

I have asked Primal for a refund for the hat and the shipping - sighting misleading material information in the description of the cap. They have refused to refund the shipping thus far - I have also complained to Sustrans.

Primal also seem unable to acknowledge the irony of selling such a product.
Greystoke

Re: irony of selling a plastic cap from China to highlight climate change

Post by Greystoke »

We all need to wake up to this.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So, here's the deal: with time fast running out, there is no good news. All targets, all international declarations, all key dates have been missed. All significant warning measures are increasing, many faster than predicted. Look hard for progress towards "dealing with climate change" and you will find only trivial or meaningless examples.
Get used to it.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

its just something else to sell for a quick buck
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Polyester may well have a lower environmental impact than cotton
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Surely if you really want to ease climate issues it would be better to eschew the purchase of any new items,and there are masses of caps available in charity shops.Why wear a cap like that when out walking-presumably you cycle in a helmet.Do you wear cap bebeath helmet?
botty

Post by botty »

Presumably you wear a helmet when cycling?

That's a bit presumptuous.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Whilst I sympathise with the misdescription, surely the peak would have been plastic regardless.

I agree with the charity shop route. I recently bought a brand new cap for 50p, to add to my other 50p - £1 caps. I can never imagine me spending £15 plus postage on a cap.

I can thoroughly recommend charity shops. Plenty of people buy new kit, often in medium only to find they are actually a large size. Tops, waterproofs, layers, caps, etc. I also have some very good down jackets.

What's not to like, recycling combined with saving money.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:Plenty of people buy new kit, often in medium only to find they are actually a large size.

Obesity-driven size inflation means it's often the other way round; you always used to be a large but now you're a medium or even a small.

I'll second (groan!) buying second-hand.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

While the status quo remains, it simply doesn't matter what anyone does or buys. Debating a choice of cap, in itself, is fiddling while Rome burns. Until there is wide-spread civil unrest, on an unprecidented scale, nothing will change. Our fate is already sealed. The irony is that the extreme conditions that will have to be in place sufficient for the peasants to revolt, will mean that it will already be too late to change anything. By the end of the century, our home will no longer support higher animals, like mammals... to think otherwise is to display one of our inbuilt characteristics - optimism. Optimism doesn't work when you tilt a planet's feedback systems too far. Wear whatever cap you want.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

simonineaston wrote:By the end of the century, our home will no longer support higher animals, like mammals...

A reference for this assertion would be of interest
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Cotton must be nearly as bad for the environment as plastic, if not worse. We need to put a stop to a vacuous fashion industry that manipulates people into throwing away clothing and buying new just to keep up with whatever the celebs are wearing.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You are right,although I have never sought to emulate Klaudia Wrinkelmin and Louise Hammilton.
nomm

Post by nomm »

Yes - I think I am more annoyed at myself more than anything for falling into buying a new thingy. I'm usually pretty good and ebay/chazzers. Ah well lesson learned.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Bmbibzzz, That comment about obesity in more than a bit naughty when it involves hat size! With a size 7 1/4 hat size I've been called a big head but on size alone never a fat head!!!!
But when it comes to stating in specifications that something is 100% Cotton when in fact it is 100% Polyester is a criminal offence! Sale of Goods Act, Product description, so as you have the evidence have a word with your local Trading Standards Dept?
They will know chapter & verse exactly which regulation has been broken, then deal with the firm involved stating such facts.
Often it is not the money involved that is the concern, merely the breech of trust! The devil is indeed in the detail. MM