Would you report your neighbours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Would you report your neighbours?

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote:Used to live next door to a couple with a very young child. The woman was loudly verbally aggressive to her partner and may have hit him (multiple times). She certainly hit/smacked the child. Sometimes wondered if l should contact the authorities - l never did. I could hear things but could never actually see it.

Yes, please inform the police. Their general response to domestic abuse has changed enormously. (And it has greatly increased their workload.)

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Syd wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Syd wrote:OP neither of the examples you give are against the law, at least not in the UK.

Not yet.

And no plans to change that.

Well the European Convention on Human Rights guarantees freedom of religion and political views. The government wants to pull out of it which begs the question what are they planning to do that the convention prohibits.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I should like to report them for illegal parking, for example, but I do not trust the police to keep my name secret

The communist countries had honorary monitors who dealt with people who put the washing out on Sundays, or who smoked on their balconies, parked their cycles in wrong places, parked their cars nose in, &c, etc
+1!

If you're going to accuse someone of lawbreaking you should be prepared to openly stand behind your allegation not hide behind secrecy.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I should like to report them for illegal parking, for example, but I do not trust the police to keep my name secret

The communist countries had honorary monitors who dealt with people who put the washing out on Sundays, or who smoked on their balconies, parked their cycles in wrong places, parked their cars nose in, &c, etc
+1!

If you're going to accuse someone of lawbreaking you should be prepared to openly stand behind your allegation not hide behind secrecy.

Why? I am not a police officer
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very little of what makes a society safe and law-abiding depends on policing and prosecution or on legislation. A lot depends on the behaviour of the population.

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

pete75 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Not yet.

And no plans to change that.

Well the European Convention on Human Rights guarantees freedom of religion and political views. The government wants to pull out of it which begs the question what are they planning to do that the convention prohibits.

Time to dig out your tinfoil hat methinks.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Syd wrote:And no plans to change that.

I can't make out the Government's current policy on the ECHR. It wants opt-outs on certain aspects. The 2019 manifesto includes changes to the HRA but I haven't seen any details.

Jonathan

PS: At one time May had the unusual position of wanting to withdraw from the ECHR and remain in the EU.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Well said Jdsk about compliance rather than compulsion! Mustn't get in the way of the self centred?
Stuff you Jack rules! MM
Navara

Post by Navara »

For a serious crime-maybe.
Anything else I would sort myself if it affected me/us.(Noise/parking etc).

IMO anyone who "shops" neighbours for having family round under these stupid C-19 "rules" deserves any repercussions that follow.These people should not have anonymity.I have no time for people like that.
If its a party/BBQ etc with 20/30/40 people then have a quiet word...or a beer and a burger...but phoning the Police doesn't sit right with me and would take us down a very dangerous path.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello. My next door farming neighbours in France have nine children, all of whom are now married with children of their own - and in some cases, grandchildren as well.

My region of France (as large as Cornwall, Devon, and Somerset combined) has only had six suspected, but proved negative, cases of this virus since the panic started all those months ago - and not a single death.
If some distant politician suggested to my neighbour that he should limit his household gatherings to six, I can imagine what his response might be - but the 'swearing' mods prevent me from repeating it here.

Please, stupid politicians, stop counting the increase in 'cases' - which one might expect when testing itself increases - but let us know what the current death rate is, and break this down into vulnerable groups, age groups, and ethnic groups. You will then know where and who to test first. This approach will save millions of wasted pounds, and also allow hospitals to open again to those with other more serious conditions - and many have recently died because of political stupidity.

Can the government please get rid of Chris Whitty? He may be a medical academic, but as a structured advisor he is useless - as are many that Bojo and his cronies rely upon, because they have not a sensible brain cell of their own.

This country is going down the pan; countless amounts wasted on what is nought but a virus, countless amounts spent on Brexit, and countless amounts spent on the pensions of those in power - is there NO-ONE in Westminster who can stop the rot?

Happy days? Huh!
Attachments
Another Government committee meeting.jpg
Another Government committee meeting.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 263 times
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Syd wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Syd wrote:And no plans to change that.

Tell that to the the Telegraph then https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ghts-laws/ and the Independant https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 33013.html and almost every other newspaper. It's well documented Johnson wants to pull out of it - and please don't claim it's "fake news".
Syd

Post by Syd »

pete75 wrote:
Syd wrote:
pete75 wrote:Well the European Convention on Human Rights guarantees freedom of religion and political views. The government wants to pull out of it which begs the question what are they planning to do that the convention prohibits.

Tell that to the the Telegraph then https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ghts-laws/ and the Independant https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 33013.html and almost every other newspaper. It's well documented Johnson wants to pull out of it - and please don't claim it's "fake news".

I am not disputing them wanting to pull out.

I don’t know there reasons but it’s not to make being Roman Catholic, agnostic, or a Lib Dem supporter illegal and suggested in the OP.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Report my neighbour for breaking the law? Sure would, I even tried to get the police to do the driver of a car with no number plates or V.E.D. Disc!
It was on double yellow lines outside Bootle Town Hall.
Yep, a Rolls Royce with an ornate "George & the Dragon" radiator mascot! Too many plods don't put themselves out to protect us all :lol: :lol: :lol:
The woman passenger had no money for parking meters. Laws don't seem to apply to some folk! MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote:I am not disputing them wanting to pull out.

A government spokesperson said: “The UK is committed to the European convention on human rights... "
13 September 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/sep/13/uk-government-plans-to-remove-key-human-rights-protections

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Syd wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Syd wrote:Time to dig out your tinfoil hat methinks.

I am not disputing them wanting to pull out.

I don’t know there reasons but it’s not to make being Roman Catholic, agnostic, or a Lib Dem supporter illegal and suggested in the OP.

Their reasons are obviously because the act prevents them from doing something they want to do. I doubt it's because they want to take aim at the religions and political parties you mention but there are others.