Dawes Galaxy 2000-2009

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mumbojumbo

Re: Dawes Galaxy 2000-2009

Post by mumbojumbo »

I did not buy bike as my offer was rejected and as said before bike felt dead.Good for load-bearing but would not work on lenthy ride of over 50-60 miles.Wanted it for my son-would rather buy frame built by decent outfit.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Brucey wrote:the '1982' picture below is well before 1982.

You can see the 1982 catalogue here

https://dawescycles.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/1982-dawes-cat-vcc-library.pdf

cheers

Mrs speedsixdave has the 1982 Lady Galaxy, as seen in that catalogue, with the twin tubes. It is spectacularly whippy, such that I'm amazed it ever got beyond the prototype stage. But it's pretty light!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Not a Galaxy but a Sardar on ebay collection from Bath 11 hours left currently £100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAWES-Green- ... ect=mobile

Nothing to do with me just seemed a possibility for someone looking for a touring bike.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Saw it: but I’ve got too many bikes...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I have a ten year old steel framed galaxy made in Vietnam. It is fine. I have ridden it 800 miles with no problems - large but jointed tubes no visible welding. If you want one I could be persuaded to sell it. I am in Norfolk.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Back in the day Dawes were good builders, Norris Lockley, who traded as Bespoke Cycles in Settle said his father and mother both rode Dawes and he rated them in the early years as a very good OTP clubmans machine.. about 12 years since I was given a very light 23'' frameset by an old cycle Mechanic , it has Dawes hall marks in the frame construction but we just couldn't prove its heritage.. I refinished it reasonably in black and gold and it rides way above its value , built originally for 27's I used it with periodish kit until a friend made an offer after trying it on a ride, he sold it back last year to me, it now sports really good 700 wheels and a full modern Claris groupset.. its deep drop brakes are its only folly... but i don't use it enough nowadays to warrant spending on better calipers.. sorry they have gone by the wayside like many others will if this crap keeps business in jeopardy...will
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

scrimper wrote:
Brucey wrote:it is pretty much all true in various years. However in some cases frames made overseas might have been better rather than worse than UK built ones; only a few days ago I was looking at a broken dawes galaxy fork (from an early 1990s bike) it was quite clear to me that the main reason it had broken was that it hadn't been properly brazed.

cheers

In fairness to Dawes that could happen to any cycle not just UK built ones. I have 3 Dawes 531 cycles, a Mirage racer from 1975, super Galaxy from 1980 and a Super galaxy from 1989, all are still fine and are ridden regularly. I doubt very much that far east manufactured alloy frames will still be good after 45 year. :)

well it wouldn't have been the first badly brazed fork I have seen from Dawes but when I looked more closely at the fork in question, I realised I had done Dawes a disservice in this case. It became clear that the failure had initiated in the fork crown itself, adjacent to the crown race seating. The fork crown had been machined (presumably in the factory where they made the fork crowns) to accept the crown race, and they had simply overdone it, leaving the hollow crown less than 1mm wall thickness at a point that was quite highly stressed. This part cracked first and the failure then propagated round the rest of the fork crown until one leg of the fork dropped off.

It looked like bad brazing at first, but actually it wasn't any such thing.

Any pics of your Dawes?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~