Best Garmin type computer for bicycle tourist?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

Re: Best Garmin type computer for bicycle tourist?

Post by Jamesh »

How about the Samsung galaxy xcover 3 for £50-69 second hand?

Shouldn't need a cover and will have a good battery life if screen isn't on 24/7??

Cheers James
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mattsccm wrote:I suspect that I am going to be in the same boat soon and I have a question about Garmins that use AAs. How do they perform on rechargeables? My experience isn't good. Maybe half the life of a normal AA and not enough for a day. Yes I can carry spares but that's another thing to remember to pack etc. Good as I could find rechargeable batteries but in admittedly old, 2000 , GPS.

No problem what so ever with rechargeable, cant remember which ones I am running at the moment but get 24hours plus from a set, A bit but not much less in the winter months. And if your touring and charging becomes an issue, you can just switch to standard
NUKe

Post by Sweep »

willem jongman wrote:Indeed, Eneloop were I think the first of the so called low discharge rechargeable batteries. In my limited experience the Ansmann slow discharge batteries seem to outperform the Sanyo/Panasonic originals.

Yes I have heard good things about them You don't see them around much though.

Surely if they have their own factory of any size at all they must be making them available under different brands as well?

There are pretty convincing reports of Eneloops being available under other brands.
Sweep
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Sweep wrote:
willem jongman wrote:Indeed, Eneloop were I think the first of the so called low discharge rechargeable batteries. In my limited experience the Ansmann slow discharge batteries seem to outperform the Sanyo/Panasonic originals.

Yes I have heard good things about them You don't see them around much though.

Surely if they have their own factory of any size at all they must be making them available under different brands as well?

There are pretty convincing reports of Eneloops being available under other brands.

As others have said Eneloop are the way to go, they are easily available on Ebay & Amazon, circa £12 for a pack of four AA
It's worth investing in an intelligent charger - these charge each battery individually, which prolongs their live, and usually have diagnostic and refresh options, although I've never needed to use these.

I'm still using the same four Eneloops I purchased in 2014, and have used them for 1000's of hours. A fully charged pair will easily last in excess of 24hrs and that is with the backlight on overnight. So on a 600Km/38hr ride I need to carry one spare set & aim to swap them on the start of day 2 just to avoid them running low at an inconvenient time.

On a weeks tour (so only used during the day) I would be fine with a set in the Garmin and two spare sets in my saddle bag and change them every 2-3 days.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Vitara wrote:As others have said Eneloop are the way to go, they are easily available on Ebay & Amazon, circa £12 for a pack of four AA
IME, beware fake Eneloops :wink:
"42"
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just a thought. I have borrowed a mates Oregon 650. Haven't put it on charge yet, no AAs handy, but looking at the very complicated manual it looks as if I can display normal road going date, speed, time, average speed, cadence etc.
Is this actually possible and is it reasonablty easy?
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

I have a Garmin Etrex touch 25 that uses rechargeable AA batteries. I quite like the device when in use but hate the Garmin software, my preference would be a new old stock Etrex touch 35 as that has the Bluetooth connectivity.
Reference using a smartphone, they can work well but the Garmin is trouble-free and properly waterproof. :wink:
I hear some other makes have better user interface software which would steer me away from Garmin if I was specifically looking for a new device now.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just ignore my post above. Found and ancient post of mine from 2016 saying that I had it sorted. No idea what I was doing as I csn't do it know and the damn thing was never used again.
Off to find a new old stock 800 :)
Devonpedals

Post by Devonpedals »

freeflow wrote:A simless smartphone **is** a dedicated device, one with much more flexibility than a dedicated gps. Given that you can buy very well specified smartphones for around £100-120 you would be doing yourself a disservice to ignore the value for money factor.

Read your reply here and am interested to know which Smartphone you have in mind please
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

No specific type. Just go on Amazon, search on smartphone, choose one that fits the bill. Remember that you are buying the phone to use only as a cycle computer/navigation aid.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

freeflow wrote:No specific type. Just go on Amazon, search on smartphone, choose one that fits the bill. Remember that you are buying the phone to use only as a cycle computer/navigation aid.

Galaxy S7 is waterproof and works brilliantly for navigating with all types of apps available; many not needing an internet connection while on the road. Can be had second hand for not much over £100. You can get a Quadlock case to fit on handlbars.
Chris F, Cornwall