The age concession: a crisis of conscience

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
lescargo

Re: The age concession: a crisis of conscience

Post by lescargo »

Anybody have access to the the "plastic" agm?
Did the zealots with their own personal "axe to grind" who now run what once was, for 130 years, a splendid CYCLING CLUB win their day??
While the limitations from CORONA VIRUS might prove to be convenient for them we must recognise from start that this naïve scheme was well
planned and executed.
We were informed at 11th. hour-constitutionally legal- but UNETHICAL-we could have been informed in spring-this left no opportunity for those,
older(payed all their lives?), members any possible route to express their views for or against, in club mag.
If letters objecting would be printed any way??

Standby for biggest exodus since Moses left Egypt of those of us who recognised the folly of "accountant driven" Charity campaign but did not
act hoping CTC would CONTINUE as previous.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

OH, by the way, I voted against, there's a surprise
roger

Post by roger »

The word I have yet to read is tradition.

I belong to four sports clubs with reduced and in one case zero rates.

We moved house away from the Home Counties about six years ago. Out of interest I looked at the season ticket rates for the retired, finding that I could watch Premier League players for a very low season ticket rate.Have a look around.

I had the impression that one of the factors behind the charity move was to moderate, alright nullify, the position of the DAs and Sections. Thus we now have membership groups - the beginning of a new tradition. The Cycle Clips edition of two weeks ago was extolling the fact that we have four people supporting the Membership Groups in what seemed very close to the traditional DAs regular activities..

For many , many years it has been a tradition that those of advancing years were given good treatment.Some sort of pampering or whatever.In many areas, not just cycling, the advanced have time available to help their clubs, families etc.

The other part of the process that worries me is that something of some significance to so many, nineteen thousand,was not communicated by the Chief Executive or the Trustee Chair.

Have to point that Nicola Marshall did respond on behalf of the Charity.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

My membership renewal is due January but I have now cancelled my DD through my bank online. Sadly, I can’t say I’m sad.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Not interested in the slightest of being in a club or taking part in organised rides etc, so all that attracted me was the insurance and the legal advice/support. When I became an OAP in 2017, I qualified for Senior membership and was still happy to remain a member.

I like the honesty, you joined for the benefit and that benefit is no longer worth the cost for you. I can't see why anyone would have any disagreement with that. What you thankfully haven't done, is make any case why your membership should be cheaper than mine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:Not interested in the slightest of being in a club or taking part in organised rides etc, so all that attracted me was the insurance and the legal advice/support. When I became an OAP in 2017, I qualified for Senior membership and was still happy to remain a member.

I like the honesty, you joined for the benefit and that benefit is no longer worth the cost for you. I can't see why anyone would have any disagreement with that. What you thankfully haven't done, is make any case why your membership should be cheaper than mine.
My history with being a member of CTC was one of economy. I could never see that what I wanted was worth the full adult fee, but when I gave up work, I found that membership was available as un waged ................... and therefore joined.
Turning OAP allowed the same membership fee as "un waged", so carried on with it.

Me, personally, can't see The Benefit per Quid now that my fees would double(?) for next year ...................... ad infinitum.

I'm 70 in a couple of years, and my cycling is becoming less distance-orientated and with no plans for riding End2End yet again!! :lol:

I see no reason for specific cycle insurance, and our home policy will suffice methinks.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I may have mentioned this before but you could look on the bright side and remember the years you enjoyed at the discounted rate when the organisation used the poorly-defined expression "unwaged" as the qualification for concessionary membership. I've been "unwaged" since I was 52 on a public pension way, way above the income level qualifying for means-tested benefits.
emmbee

Post by emmbee »

I have already cancelled any future direct debit & as my main reason for membership was the 3rd party liability cover I have investigated the possibility of buying this as a freestanding policy & discovered that it is readily available. I can't imagine that I will be the only person quitting.
seumasl

Post by seumasl »

After the motion was carried re removing OAP discounted membership I rang Cycling UK and was kept in a queue only to be told to leave a recorded message which I did, later that day I rang again and got through to a person whom I told that I would not be renewing my membership and why, "Alright, I'll cancel it now " he said, I told him No, I still had a month to run which he seemed to find difficult to understand.
The following day on our way to Somerset to spend a few days cycling I received a return call from the message I had left, I repeated that I would not be renewing membership due to the rule change and the lady just said "Oh, alright" and put the phone down.
Both of the staff at Cycling UK seemed !. Rather offhand and 2. Neither of them made any effort to offer alternative membership deals ie Life Membership or Family Membership which leads me to think that they not only don't value the rank and file members but want to see the "Oldies" gone, I haven't felt at home in this organisation since it stopped presenting itself as The CTC and my feelings have been sadly confirmed.
I shall miss "The CTC" but then again you left me a few years back didn't you
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is this still valid?
https://www.cyclinguk.org/join

As matter of fact, I paid £29.50 in July of this year for 12 months as a senior member.
This equals £2.48 per month.

Senior now is £2.54 a month as per the above website, meaning the annual senior fee is now, according to them ................ £30.48
They are supposed to be doing away with the senior fees .......................... but their website doesn't say that.

What's going on here?
Mick F. Cornwall
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

I think it comes into being on 1st Nov this year.
seumasl

Post by seumasl »

I agree something looks a tad dodgy, as the motion was carried (how ?) Maybe they won't alter the web site until the date of the change, my renewal in October would be £30-40 (I think) the new non discount OAP prices come in November. I am happy I left, the old CTC were more transparent and caring.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ElaineB wrote:I think it comes into being on 1st Nov this year.
That's fine ........... but why doesn't their website give some sort of heads up on the forthcoming changes?

They could scoop up loadsa new older members if they said they could join before Nov 2020 for a year on the cheap ..................... but that's not in their financial interest, is it! :lol:

What's that saying on the TV prog about apprentices?

"I''m out!"

I will not be renewing in July 2021.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Oh No! How many times are you going to tell us between now and then?
You could just stick it in your signature to save you all that typing :lol:
Or were you hoping for some sort of leaving party?
seumasl

Post by seumasl »

Party ? Yaaaay.