Advice on which step through bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
GreenSpace99

Advice on which step through bike

Post by GreenSpace99 »

Hi

I'm starting to take my child to nursery and would like a step through bicycle that can accommodate a seat on the back.
There are just so many brands and websites and so much jargon and I have no idea where to start as my local bike shop a) doesn't answer the phone and b) doesn't seem to do electric. :P
I can access the work cycle scheme to help with payment and would like something on the lighter side so I can lift it into the car if necessary. Without going over £1600, can anyone offer just a few recommendations please?

Thanks in advance
hemo

Re: Advice on which step through bike

Post by hemo »

Ebikes don't do light circa 22- 25kg is the norm.

Ebikes direct.
Woosh bikes.
Wisper bikes.
Juicy bikes.

Woosh are mail order only, unless in Southend where they have a shop business warehouse where they build their bikes.
Carlton green

Re: Advice on which step through bike

Post by Carlton green »

GreenSpace99 wrote:Hi

I'm starting to take my child to nursery and would like a step through bicycle that can accommodate a seat on the back.
There are just so many brands and websites and so much jargon and I have no idea where to start as my local bike shop a) doesn't answer the phone and b) doesn't seem to do electric. :P
I can access the work cycle scheme to help with payment and would like something on the lighter side so I can lift it into the car if necessary. Without going over £1600, can anyone offer just a few recommendations please?

Thanks in advance

I cannot answer your question directly but would suggest that you modify your requirements.

My experience of child carrying is dated but the fundamental thing to ensure is that the child seat is an appropriate match to the bike. Any old bike will not necessarily do, it does need to have sufficient length between the bottom bracket axle and the rear wheel axle to allow the necessary space for you, your child and its seat. The centre of gravity of the child in its seat also needs to be forward of the rear axle. Don’t ask me how I know these things and of the agro a misinformed choice caused me.

With correct gearing and a bit of effort you might not need electrical assistance, many people get by just fine with only their own leg power - historically loads of folk shifted children many miles without power assistance. However, if you really want electric then I suggest that you first seek out suitable child carrying bikes and then (assuming that they haven’t already got it) investigate which could have electric power assistance added to them.

I hope that that helps.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.