Humber Men’s Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rideaway

Humber Men’s Bike

Post by Rideaway »

I am thinking of buying a second hand bike for a friend. It is a Humber One Impact Light Weight mans bike. I have been trying to find out about the make but can’t find any Humber bikes. My concern is as to whether it will be in working order and whether you can still buy parts for it. The owner says that it has not been used for a while but after trying it the gears seem to work and it sees to be okay. They are selling it for £24. Will the seat be adjustable on this type of bike?
Attachments
57B21F49-6E9C-414F-BCB9-A9F461BBF201.jpeg
3A16DF6D-F89C-4DC6-8A2B-E570B66CB177.jpeg
3A16DF6D-F89C-4DC6-8A2B-E570B66CB177.jpeg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 508 times
mjr

Re: Humber Men’s Bike

Post by mjr »

Humber was an old major brand which was bought by Raleigh in the 1930s. It's probably been sold to I don't know who or used for "unbranded" discount Raleighs (by mail order and teleshopping and so on), so don't expect great things.

The seat should adjust but they can stick and be very difficult to free, so it's worth asking for it to be adjusted before you buy, whether or not you really need it adjusted to sit on the bike and check the size.

That bike seems to have front suspension so I suspect "Light Weight" will be just a name.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Can’t tell you anything about this bike, other than that the down tube sticker appears to read ‘NUMBER’ ONE.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Rideaway wrote:I am thinking of buying a second hand bike for a friend. It is a Humber One Impact Light Weight mans bike. I have been trying to find out about the make but can’t find any Humber bikes. My concern is as to whether it will be in working order and whether you can still buy parts for it. The owner says that it has not been used for a while but after trying it the gears seem to work and it sees to be okay. They are selling it for £24. Will the seat be adjustable on this type of bike?

Take a punt,It,s £24-0,doesn,t look bad, though new tyres, tubes,cables ,if needed would treble that.You would need some knowledge to determine whether wheel bearings,bottom bracket,wheel rims,transmission parts are serviceable though.Does it look neglected?A rusty chain is a sign of being left outside.On the other hand,I picked up a Ridgeback at my local used shop,£40-oo,little use,a real bargain.Use your eyes and ears,try to test wheel bearings for excess movement,grab the cranks, and push and pull them,any excess movement?Try it out,gears shifting ok?
Its £24-00!!!Wouldn,t worry about buying parts,plenty of cheaper shimano stuff about.
pwa

Post by pwa »

£24 is the price of two cheap tyres. If it still works at all you have a bargain. Just check that the seat post (the tube beneath the seat) still slides up and down when the bolt is loosened. Make sure the brakes work too.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Plenty of spares for it can be used from nearly any manufacturer, parts will be generic and available from many many outlets.
At £24 a real bargain, looks ok to me in the pic.
A knowledgeable biker who does his own maintenance could give it a once over in an hour to adjust/check brakes and grease all the bearings etc etc.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

pwa wrote:£24 is the price of two cheap tyres. If it still works at all you have a bargain. Just check that the seat post (the tube beneath the seat) still slides up and down when the bolt is loosened. Make sure the brakes work too.

This piece of advice would apply to any used bike, esp the seatpost bit,
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Worth £24 even to adorn a patio or the foyer of a hipster barber shop where moustaches and other thing sare whaxed.