Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like the hoarding has started due to Lockdown II, the sequel ( cumming soon to your local cinema), with people buying up all the turkeys they can get their greedy mitts on.

Yep. Bizarre combination of empty shelves at the shops this market day. Some things I'd expect (there's a run on bog roll again despite covid not causing the squits! And yeast has gone missing again) but others are just a bit odd, such as coconut milk and several types of fruit'n'nut chocolate: has Trump called them miracle cures this week?

well the touch stone of things to come is a) there are no baked beans or nearly sold out.

For some reason my lidl had been getting in supplies of bread yeast week in week out - thats now all gone and the white bread flour just a few left whereas there had alwayd been a healthy supply the last few weeks. I went to Tescos and got 4 pkts of whole meal flour as I found a white/whole meal mix is the nest combination if you want the bread to last a few days & still keep the price down - their own brand is £1.10 and they also had some locally milled stuff for £1.30 Wrights located at Ponders End, Middlesex, London, using wheat from Essex. So I bought a couple .

WP_20200922_16_45_58_Pro.jpg
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

They said "Go back to work" and people did and they said "You idiots. Stay home"

They said "Go to the pub and we'll even pay you to eat out" and then they said "You idiots, why are you going to the pub and eating out?"
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:They said "Go back to work" and people did and they said "You idiots. Stay home"

They said "Go to the pub and we'll even pay you to eat out" and then they said "You idiots, why are you going to the pub and eating out?"

[youtube]sfrThV6DJu4[/youtube]

See also testing.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:Prime Minister today on restrictions: "likely to remain in force for six months".

Impact on Easter?

Jonathan

Nah that's just over egging the Simnel Cake.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like the hoarding has started due to Lockdown II, the sequel ( cumming soon to your local cinema), with people buying up all the turkeys they can get their greedy mitts on.

Yep. Bizarre combination of empty shelves at the shops this market day. Some things I'd expect (there's a run on bog roll again despite covid not causing the squits! And yeast has gone missing again) but others are just a bit odd, such as coconut milk and several types of fruit'n'nut chocolate: has Trump called them miracle cures this week?

well the touch stone of things to come is a) there are no baked beans or nearly sold out.

For some reason my lidl had been getting in supplies of bread yeast week in week out - thats now all gone and the white bread flour just a few left whereas there had alwayd been a healthy supply the last few weeks. I went to Tescos and got 4 pkts of whole meal flour as I found a white/whole meal mix is the nest combination if you want the bread to last a few days & still keep the price down - their own brand is £1.10 and they also had some locally milled stuff for £1.30 Wrights located at Ponders End, Middlesex, London, using wheat from Essex. So I bought a couple .

Mebbe they're running out of flour because of all the people going in and buying 4 bags of the stuff....
Last edited by pete75 on 22 Sep 2020, 7:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Are you suggesting that our actions affect other people?

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:Are you suggesting that our actions affect other people?

Jonathan

Not only that, their actions affect you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

... and the same applies to virus transmission?

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:Yep. Bizarre combination of empty shelves at the shops this market day. Some things I'd expect (there's a run on bog roll again despite covid not causing the squits! And yeast has gone missing again) but others are just a bit odd, such as coconut milk and several types of fruit'n'nut chocolate: has Trump called them miracle cures this week?

Mebbe they're running out of flour because of all the people going in and buying 4 bags of the stuff....

thats the first bread flour I have bought since March/April. I can only carry so many things on my bike at once so today it was the flour. With the white flour I have will last me until next March
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Get it delivered. I just got 32kg of bread and 3kg of pastry flour delivered last week. I’ve used 32 Kg since lock down started when I switched my buying from supermarket to mill.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:... and the same applies to virus transmission?

Jonathan

I think it's pretty obvious by now that viruses are transmitted from one person to another. A bit daft to question that.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Yeah right!
Yeah right!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Absolutely! Never, Ever "snitch" on the neighbours.

Just flag down the next Covid Marshall passing by and ask him if this means you shouldn't use your own garden...

they get high vis jackets for resolving with these situations. Should be worth a watch!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:

its started. Today no liquid hand wash ( now 2 days atleast ). Very few pkts of loo paper. The baked beans down to a few, even the heinz ones all gone.
pwa

Post by pwa »

We got our week's worth of supplies yesterday evening with no problems. Plenty of bread, loo rolls, etc. If there is a panic (why????????) it ought to be subsiding by the time we need anything. When the silly sods realise groceries are still being delivered to the supermarkets at the same rate as normal.