Fitting a bb motor after market

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
belgiangoth

Fitting a bb motor after market

Post by belgiangoth »

Is this totally crazy (as in requires frame modification)? Or is it a case of bb swap page?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Trikesnbikes

Re: Fitting a bb motor after market

Post by Trikesnbikes »

I have fitted bottom bracket conversion kits to several cycles. They are not perfect but they do the job and have been largely reliable. They do require "standard" bottom bracket dimensions i.e. 68-73 mm width.
hemo

Post by hemo »

After market BB mid drive motors are available, just a few to name and available.
Tongsheng TDSZ.
Bafang BBS.
Aikema.
Mxus.
Lingbei.
Gospade.
Yalu.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Look at Woosh for a couple of crank drive kits: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/
Manufacturers from the list above. I think they usually have more choices but supply is short at the moment.
If you send them details (and pictures) of the bike they'll say if it is suitable and any issues you may have.
They will also provide generally excellent customer service before and after any sale.

As above, bottom bracket width is important.
One common issue is brazed gear cable guides under the bottom bracket; many BB kits fit snug under the bottom bracket.
Can be resolved if you don't mind grinding them off and rerouting cables.
You may have issues with front gear options.

Some people (including Woosh) have said that BB kits are even easier to fit than hub kits; as long as you have the tools and knowledge to deal with bottom bracket replacement.

If you are thinking seriously about this rather than just wondering, also look on https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/