Flu 'jab'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Flu 'jab'

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:I havent bothered with the flu jab I suspect it would give me the flu from what people above are saying.

That's probably a bad bet.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm a bit surprised that the admittedly small sample on here contains so many non-takers. I have (socially-distanced) contact with quite a lot of people of my generation and though I'm often out-of-step on things like Brexit, all seem to be committed to flu jabs. In a normal year when anti-covid measures have not been in force at the health centre, I see many familiar faces there around the same time as me.

I know that some injections have been the subject of adverse publicity: does this apply to the flu jab?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:I know that some injections have been the subject of adverse publicity: does this apply to the flu jab?

There have been some rather startling opinion polls on vaccinations in the UK recently, and I suspect that it might.

As above: I'm not sure that the threshold for vaccination against seasonal flu has previously been correctly set. This year is different.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I know that some injections have been the subject of adverse publicity: does this apply to the flu jab?

There have been some rather startling opinion polls on vaccinations in the UK recently, and I suspect that it might.

As above: I'm not sure that the threshold for vaccination against seasonal flu has previously been correctly set. This year is different.

Jonathan

Vaccinations I know I've had are diphtheria, polio, TB and smallpox. I think all kids get those along with MMR these days.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

with all the social distancing at the moment nobody should be getting the flu or a cold this year
I agree - it has been in the back of my mind to wonder whether, under the current arrangements, a massive & expensive push to put out a 'flu vaccine is the one thing that doesn't need to happen. In some ways, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I took the view that if it was free and at very low risk to me, I might as well take up the offer. And if they were truly going to follow The Science, they could have said, "Cyclists need not apply, as you're all so bloomin' fit..."!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

pete75 wrote:Vaccinations I know I've had are diphtheria, polio, TB and smallpox. I think all kids get those along with MMR these days.

Well, perhaps not all apparently...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote:
with all the social distancing at the moment nobody should be getting the flu or a cold this year
I agree - it has been in the back of my mind to wonder whether, under the current arrangements, a massive & expensive push to put out a 'flu vaccine is the one thing that doesn't need to happen. In some ways, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I took the view that if it was free and at very low risk to me, I might as well take up the offer. And if they were truly going to follow The Science, they could have said, "Cyclists need not apply, as you're all so bloomin' fit..."!

Fitness grants no immunity from the effects of bacteria or virus and it can make some diseases worse.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Although I think there may be evidence that staying fit delays the age related decline in the body’s immune system.
peetee

Post by peetee »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Touch of Flu :mrgreen:

My GP said if you have flu and there is a fifty pound note in your garden you won't cant get out of bed!

I know what he means. I had it in once and will never refer to a bad cold as ‘flu’ ever again. I was in bed for a week, slept most of the time, barely ate and ached from top to toe.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

peetee wrote:
Touch of Flu :mrgreen:

My GP said if you have flu and there is a fifty pound note in your garden you won't cant get out of bed!

I know what he means. I had it in once and will never refer to a bad cold as ‘flu’ ever again. I was in bed for a week, slept most of the time, barely ate and ached from top to toe.

I have never had anything like that
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Had the Flu jab yesterday and no sign of any reaction - yet. :roll: :)
My wife had hers during the week and has a bruise and sore arm.

Wen I wer a lad at junior school, (1956-ish) there was an outbreak of flu. Out of the 400 or so people in the school, Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
cycleruk wrote:Had the Flu jab yesterday and no sign of any reaction - yet. :roll: :)

Wen I wer a lad at junior school, (1956-ish) there was an outbreak of flu. Out of the 400 or so people in the school, Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.

We had a Peter Sidebottom in my year! 70's.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

cycleruk wrote:Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.

Perhaps it’s genetic. Do you have a strangely angled posterior too? 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cycleruk wrote:Had the Flu jab yesterday and no sign of any reaction - yet. :roll: :)

We had a Peter Sidebottom in my year! 70's.

Our Biology Teacher was a Mr B-a-s-t-a-r-d. I had a school friend who later became a doctor whose surname was Coffin. There was a girl whose surname was Greengrass
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

My wife went to school in England and had a teacher called Miss Pratt from Pratt's Bottom. Some very silly names of people in England.
I am here. Where are you?