Advice Route from Bristol to Lancashire

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rwrobson

Advice Route from Bristol to Lancashire

Post by rwrobson »

doing LEJOG next May (2009) have planned route to Bristol, but unsure which way to go from there, have seen references to going via Gloucester as much flatter , rather than across Severn bridge then via Hereford.
Any advice would be most welcome
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Shortest/easiest route is Bristol/Gloucester/Tewkesbury/Worcester/Kidderminster/Telford/Whitchurch/Warrington .....

A Roads all the way.

Is that what you want?
Or a more scenic and leisurely ride?

Sorry for being so blunt.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

Bristol, Gloucester, Newent, Bromyard, Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Warrington, Preston, Lancaster, Shap, Penrith, Carlisle worked for us - qv Rob & Joe's JOGLE - with a map available for a modest charity donation - see www.beewee.org.uk

Rob

... it seems to be the season for E2E planning - about 8 of our charity CD maps have been sent out in the last week or so
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
rwrobson

Post by rwrobson »

they are great thanks will look at those in detaill .when i get some time!!
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

I did Bristol to Ross on Wye (via Monmouth) and up to Clun in Shropshire then Chester then Slaidburn, Lancashire. Very quiet roads, scenic and not taxing at all. Easiest bit of the wholel LEJOG I thought!
rwrobson

Bristol to Lancashire

Post by rwrobson »

have checked this route out , it's actually 30 miles longer than crossong severn bridge and going via monmouth hereford leominster shrewsbury...
is nthere a reason you chose this route ..i.e flatter . quieter roads?

Mick F wrote:Shortest/easiest route is Bristol/Gloucester/Tewkesbury/Worcester/Kidderminster/Telford/Whitchurch/Warrington .....

A Roads all the way.

Is that what you want?
Or a more scenic and leisurely ride?

Sorry for being so blunt.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's surprising. But no matter.

You didn't say originally what sort of ride you wanted, so I answered with a fast flatish and easy route. The route may be 30 miles further, but it's much quicker nonetheless.

The route I suggested isn't very busy, but is it quite busy and it's on main/trunk roads going through some major towns and cities. It's the route favoured by LEJOGers who want to ride it in 5 or less days. The roads are straight and direct, and very easy to navigate along. They are also smooth and wide with no pinch points and little to hold you up.

Going over the Severn Bridge and up the Wye Valley and up the A49 from Monmouth/Ross on Wye is much nicer, and my preferred route, though FAR slower.
Mick F. Cornwall
rwrobson

Post by rwrobson »

thanks for that .. sorry i didnt make myself very clear ..i'm hoping to ride in 12-13 days .. averaging 80 miles a day .. if the route is slighly longer but flatter and quieter then thats prob the preferred option ..

Mick F wrote:That's surprising. But no matter.

You didn't say originally what sort of ride you wanted, so I answered with a fast flatish and easy route. The route may be 30 miles further, but it's much quicker nonetheless.

The route I suggested isn't very busy, but is it quite busy and it's on main/trunk roads going through some major towns and cities. It's the route favoured by LEJOGers who want to ride it in 5 or less days. The roads are straight and direct, and very easy to navigate along. They are also smooth and wide with no pinch points and little to hold you up.

Going over the Severn Bridge and up the Wye Valley and up the A49 from Monmouth/Ross on Wye is much nicer, and my preferred route, though FAR slower.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah!

Severn Bridge, Wye Valley, Hereford.
Try to keep off the A40 near Monmouth - awful road!

Leominster, Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Warrington, Preston, Carlisle, Edinburgh, Pitlochry, Inverness.
The Old A9 is a wonderful road, it has been obliterated in places by the New A9, but a great cycle track will take you over Drumochter pass and Slochd Summit.
From Drumochter, aim for Dalwhinnie then turn off just out of the town by the railway bridge, and head north on the Old A9 again, then the track into Newtonmore, followed by Kingussie and Aveimore, then on to Carrbridge.

Then on and off the Old A9 and cycle tracks to Moy, then either follow the cycle track down to Inverness, or get on the New A9 for a fantastic free ride down off the hill at 40mph plus freewheeling!

Nasty bit over Kessock Bridge (you can ride on the far side of the crash barrier to protect you from the heavy traffic) then follow the A9 all the way to Latheron via Invergordon, Tain, Golspie, Helmsdale and the steep valley of the Braes of Berridale - V hard work!

Then take the A99 direct to JOG.

Hows that?

Others will come on extolling the virtues of the West Coast route via Fort William. NOT my choice! A82 = Awful.

And before I forget, have a read at my accounts:
www.lejogandback.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i went Bristol - Gloucester (very flat easy ride)
to hereford...
thro leominster,ludlow etc straight up A49
...to whitchurch...
...to Warrington...
..yo Preston
then to lancashire

ive live around herefordshire and currently in Shropshie....my favourite places to ride in the UK. well worth a visit. sometimes challenging hills but always pretty views

***just for the record the A49 truly is a terrible road to cycle on. its easy cycling but the motorists are idiots***....with that in mind i still occassionally cycle it tho
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Mick F wrote:Ah!

Severn Bridge, Wye Valley, Hereford.
Try to keep off the A40 near Monmouth - awful road!

Couldn't agree more! Drive that way most weeks and always see cyclists on the A40 looking scared on what is basically a motorway but not officially!

Would suggest ALL cyclists to go on the very scenic cycle path that takes you from Monmouth to Symonds Yat and then on to Ross-on-Wye for you to take whichever route you want. The cycle path is hard to find but happy to assist..... :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I did my double E2E in '06, I was "looking scared" on the A40, and pulled off at a junction on my way the Welsh Bicknor YHA.

I postman saw me, and had seen me struggling too, and got his OS map out to describe a better way. Great!

On my way back south, a couple of weeks later, I would've been able to find my way ok but couldn't be bothered as it was early on a Sunday morning, so stayed on A40. Quiet!
Mick F. Cornwall
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Our group did a moderately fast LEJOG in September 2003 and we crossed the Severn Bridge and went from Chepstow to Hereford and then up the A49. After one climb just north of Hereford I seem to remember being on the outer ring for the next few days - except for Shap!

BTW once out of Glasgow we chose the A82 route. Magical!

Good luck - planning an End-To-End is so nice!
rwrobson

Post by rwrobson »

Mick F wrote:That's surprising. But no matter.

Ive done a preliminary route now.. and comments welcome.. decided to do West Coast but avoid Glasgow and take ferry across to Arran which will be a short day... and take in some scenery

here's the route for now but may change

Day 1 LANDS END to St Austell (54miles) avoiding A30
Day 2 St Austell to Okehampton (62 miles)
Day 3 Okehampton to Bridgnorth (66 miles)
Day 4 Bridgnorth to Tewkesbury (via Bristol Gloucester) (75 miles)
Day 5 Tewkesbury to Whitchurch (81 miles)
Day 6 Whitchurch to Garstang (75 miles)
Day 7 Garstang to Carlisle (75 miles)
Day 8 Carlisle to Cumnock (78 miles)
Day 9 Cumnock to Ardrossan / ferry to Arran(30 miles)
Day in Arran
Day 10 Arran ferry to Claonaig then onto Oban (59 miles)
Day 11 Oban to Fort Augustus (76 miles)
Day 12 Fort Augustus to Invergordon (57 miles)
Day 13 Invergordon to Bettyhill (76 miles)
Day 14 Bettyhill to JOHN O’GROATS (50 miles)
ransos

Post by ransos »

According to my calculations, the most direct route north from Bristol is over the bridge to Chepstow, then Monmouth. I avoided the A40 by going via the A466 instead, which takes you to the A49 just before Hereford. I'm sure that the all English route would be flatter though.