NHS Covid-19 app shortcoming?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: NHS Covid-19 app shortcoming?

Post by RickH »

geocycle wrote:I've just had a text asking me to click a link to download the app. I guess it could genuine but no way am I going to click it and see!

It is probably genuine but there may be scams doing the rounds. I had an email & part of the general blurb said
All individuals over the age of 16 who are registered with a GP in England and have provided an email address to the NHS are receiving this email. Some people will receive a text message instead, if an email address has not been provided.(my bold)

The email also said
Download the ‘NHS COVID-19’ app from the App Store or Google Play. There is more information at https://covid19.nhs.uk

Rather than giving a link to the app.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Just noticed this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54328644
If it's as good as claimed, Shouldn't we all be using it? Especially those whose work requires close contact with the irresponsible?
Feel a mite sorry for the constabulary having to get by without our advantages. Although I imagine they would have pretty good access to testing.
Still... I probably won't be downloading it either. Google Play has never allowed me to download even a free app unless I type in my card details. Just doesn't meet my need to know criteria.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Syd

Post by Syd »

DaveP wrote:Just noticed this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54328644
If it's as good as claimed, Shouldn't we all be using it? Especially those whose work requires close contact with the irresponsible?
Feel a mite sorry for the constabulary having to get by without our advantages. Although I imagine they would have pretty good access to testing.
Still... I probably won't be downloading it either. Google Play has never allowed me to download even a free app unless I type in my card details. Just doesn't meet my need to know criteria.

NHS staff, around here certainly, are being told to switch off Bluetooth (thus disabling the app) whilst working in ‘red’ wards or clinical areas.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Even when pubs closed at 10.30 during the week and 11.00 on a Friday and Saturday, there was many a "lock-in" going on, and I don't see why they wouldn't carry on now.

Warden Hodges wannabes will be round and issue fines starting at £10'000
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rjb

Post by rjb »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:Even when pubs closed at 10.30 during the week and 11.00 on a Friday and Saturday, there was many a "lock-in" going on, and I don't see why they wouldn't carry on now.

Warden Hodges wannabes will be round and issue fines starting at £10'000

They will need their tin lids to stay safe. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

DaveP wrote:Still... I probably won't be downloading it either. Google Play has never allowed me to download even a free app unless I type in my card details. Just doesn't meet my need to know criteria.

The trick is to click the continue (or whatever) option & then on the next screen there is a "skip", "cancel" or "not now" option (I forget which, it should be obvious) which then takes you into the Play Store. It will presumably nag you for payment details if you try to download anything that costs money & you will probably have to run through the routine again periodically.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

NUKe wrote:I did wonder about this having logged in to the café at lunch at lunchtime

But there is another elephant in the room, if you have Symptoms and the NHS test you, you cant register your test as either positive or negative you can only register private tests from Serco.[apparently now fixed]

The app is from a private company and yet it's called the NHS app. Just like the testing it's all been put out to private companies, not the NHS.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:What happens if someone tests positive and was there mid afternoon or into the evening?
I would have been nowhere near them, but the app would alert me and suggest I get a test! :shock:

Unless you've left your phone there, the app knows when you were there.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

RickH wrote:The trick is to click the continue (or whatever) option & then on the next screen there is a "skip", "cancel" or "not now" option (I forget which, it should be obvious) which then takes you into the Play Store. It will presumably nag you for payment details if you try to download anything that costs money & you will probably have to run through the routine again periodically.

Thanks, I'll remember that for future use. I must admit, when confronted with on line issues like this I do tend to swear and reach for the Off button. Whatever App I was after would only have been for convenience.
Not sure now whether to send off for the Grumpy Old Git badge or the Curmudgeron T... :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:What happens if someone tests positive and was there mid afternoon or into the evening?
I would have been nowhere near them, but the app would alert me and suggest I get a test! :shock:

No it doesn't.
It doesn't know where you are unless you scan a QR code on entry .............. and you can't scan an exit code, so the app continues to have you there long after you've gone ................. and taken your phone with you.

It knows if you've been in bluetooth range of another phone using the app, but not where anyone is/was unless a QR code is scanned.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

regarding the QR code I have seen. Does the eaterie or pub etc get a confirmation you have actually scanned it? or do they ask to see you have? whats to stop some one pretending to scan it with their phone?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello, Too technical and even worse Orwellian for me! The smart-phone has diminished rational judgement, some folk just blindly follow the road to being controlled by the technology, very sad. MM
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote:

No it doesn't.
It doesn't know where you are unless you scan a QR code on entry .............. and you can't scan an exit code, so the app continues to have you there long after you've gone ................. and taken your phone with you.

It knows if you've been in bluetooth range of another phone using the app, but not where anyone is/was unless a QR code is scanned.

I don't know what would happen but if the app knows you've been somewhere it can be used to message you, something like "you were in the Red Lion on such-and-such a date. Please contact NHS track & trace". They would probably ask what time you left &, if that overlapped with a positive case being there (who may not have had the app), ask you to take appropriate action.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wrong.
Read the app.
About this app/How the app works/What the app does

Also read
Menu/Your data and privacy/ ... and scroll down to "The app cannot"

Use your GPS
Check or monitor if you're self isolating
Be used by law to identify or track you
See personal info ....... etc etc

Further, the data is only on your phone. No one else can see it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:

We were shopping today.
Screwfix
Lidl
Morrisons
Post Office

Not one single place had a QR code on the door.
Therefore the app had no idea where we were or when we were or when we left.
Mick F. Cornwall