Eurovelo15

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Furkuk

Eurovelo15

Post by Furkuk »

Thinking of doing this next year, as long as COVID allows. Has anyone cycle camped in Europe in early June? What’s the campsites like? Full or easy to find space?
Jdsk

Re: Eurovelo15

Post by Jdsk »

We went S to N in 2019, starting on 23/6 in Switzerland at Oberalppass. Mostly camped and there was space in every site.

Great trip. Biggest problem was the extreme heat.

Jonathan
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

Thanks for that, we are thinking of starting on the 1st June and doing the same as you, south to north. :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you found the discussion in the archives about getting to the start and home again from the finish?

Jonathan
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

No, but I’ll see if I can find it. I was thinking of flying to Zurich and catching a ferry back to Hull :)
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I rode most of the Rhine north to south a few years back, in May/early June, then home through Italy and France. Campsites all the way, with no problems at all.
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

Cheers, thanks for that :)
djb

Post by djb »

another confirmation from numerous times camping in that time period is no problem. Last time was a few summers ago doing Eurovelo 6 and it was apparent in the campgrounds that many of the other campers were retired folks getting out before things get busy in August, the traditional vacation period for the French.
I have car camped in France in august with French friends, but they knew the deal and got it all booked ages in advance (a block of time in one campground)

In general, the times I've arrived on a bicycle looking tired and hungry at a campground has always ended up with a spot being found for me somewhere even if the place was full. Have only one memory of being refused a place and that's over 30 years (touch wood) but it always helps to put on your best smile in these situations.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I was planning to do it this year, but CoVid got in the way.

Planning on rolling down it next year, but will be booking it last minute.

There were some stunning looking Jugendheberge for non-camping nights.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've done it late August / early September before heading back up EV6. As soon as schools are back its as if someone pulls the plug. Weekends aside camp site were virtually empty. I've done Spain back to the UK in early / mid June, likewise camp sites empty.

One thing worth noting, especially with some of the municipals on the French side further down EV 15 is they have a short season or would simply be closed when I arrived, not all have contact numbers, might be the same in early June, not sure.
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

Thanks to all. Just need this COVID-19 to disappear so we can all get back to normal. I’m planning it for early June next year so fingers crossed :)
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's been a few years now but I've cycled camped up the Rhine a couple of times in late april/early may.
Doing roughly 50-60 miles a day, I didn't have any trouble finding campsites each night bar a stretch just after Mainz.
On the first trip I started home when I reached the Black Sea, the second the Med, on both trips I did a roundabout route home via the Baltic and finally getting home sometime in August.

Luck ........... :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tigerbiten wrote:It's been a few years now but I've cycled camped up the Rhine a couple of times in late april/early may.
Doing roughly 50-60 miles a day, I didn't have any trouble finding campsites each night bar a stretch just after Mainz.

I think largely due to the nature of the land, that stretch roughly Mainz to Speyer is almost bereft of campsites. There are a few within a short distance of the river but as its pretty boring and not exactly a touristy region there is a general dearth of camping opportunities. Must admit that when i did that section i used a site @ 10km from the river on the edge of the Pfalz.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

foxyrider wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:It's been a few years now but I've cycled camped up the Rhine a couple of times in late april/early may.

I think largely due to the nature of the land, that stretch roughly Mainz to Speyer is almost bereft of campsites. There are a few within a short distance of the river but as its pretty boring and not exactly a touristy region there is a general dearth of camping opportunities. Must admit that when i did that section i used a site @ 10km from the river on the edge of the Pfalz.

I cheated, first wild camp of each tour.
I knew the next campsite was going to be iffy, so started from Mainz later than my normal start.
By the time I'd done my 50-ish miles, it was getting late so started to look for somewhere suitable.
In late april the nettles are still small, so it's easier to tuck yourself out of sight in a small wood.
Not really recommended but both times I got away with it.

On my first tour down the Danube, I didn't really start to wild camp until I reached the old eastern bloc countries and campsites got very rare.
On my second tour down to the Med and back didn't need to do much wild camping as campsite are fairly easy to find in western europe.

Luck ........ :D
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Is it still safe to assume that Germany is shut on Sundays?
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”