Perimeter of Wales.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Russellw

Perimeter of Wales.

Post by Russellw »

Does anyone have or know of the best route for this? Starting and finishing at the same point completing a full (or as reasonably possible) perimeter of Wales?
Thanks
pwa

Re: Perimeter of Wales.

Post by pwa »

I live about a mile from the Welsh coast and around here it is possible to cycle nice coastal roads. But much of the Welsh coast has only unattractive busy roads, with the nicer roads further inland. The border with England has plenty of nice roads though.
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

pwa

Post by pwa »

Russellw wrote:Does anyone have or know of the best route for this? Starting and finishing at the same point completing a full (or as reasonably possible) perimeter of Wales?
Thanks

cycle.travel is a good site to play around with possible routes.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/184952

This is just an example of what I can make in five minutes on that site. Put in two distant points, top and bottom, select a "round trip" option, then drag the resulting route around to refine it. It favours the better (from a cycling point of view) roads and tracks. You can also check how changing the route affects the amount of climbing you are building in. Give it a go.

If you make a route then bring it here for people to comment on you will get detailed advice from people who know different parts of Wales. I know the southernmost bit quite well.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

i would begin near Monmouth and cycle clockwise to West keeping sea on left and as you near Flint follow border with England.You could push along coastal path in many areas in West Wales.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd cut the top and bottom of Wales off.

Go through the Brecon beacons and through Snowdonia rather than hugging the coast religiously.

That's if you like hills which if course as cyclists we do!!

Cheers James
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

"Best"! It's Wales; you go down one little road to see something beautiful or interesting and that means you missed another little road where there was something beautiful or interesting. :D

I suggested this to my wife for Summer Tour 2020. Yeah, that didn't happen. Phthphth. Anyway, I made sure I turned off the profile graphic before I showed it to her. :lol: FWIW, looks like the climbs are bigger north to south.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34293906

This could be combined with either half of the Cicerone for a loop.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

[quotee: Perimeter of Wales.
Unread postby Jamesh » 29 Sep 2020, 9:18pm

Go through the Brecon beacons and through Snowdonia rather than hugging the coast religiously.

Cheers James
][/quote]

You have made Wales into a rectangle,which will upset Dylan Thomas and Barry John,both from west Wales.Charles has lost his castle,and Welsh culture decimated.I assume you are English.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Personally, I think a tour is best if it is designed around quality experience rather than trying to "do it all". James suggests cutting off the top and bottom of Wales to make a better tour, and I think I agree. I live in the Vale of Glamorgan, down at the very bottom of Wales on the map, and yesterday I did a very pleasant 35 mile loop from my house that saw me on main road for precisely 200 metres. But I cannot get out of my region without passing through less enjoyable territory with busier roads to contend with. Any tour that came into my patch would have to thread through those busier places. Staying further north and missing out the Newport, Cardiff, Swansea stretch makes it much easier to stay on nice roads.

I suggest getting back to the coast at Bynea near Llanelli, where the wonderful Millenium Coast Path allows miles of traffic-free cycling right beside the coast, with some of the finest coastal scenery you will see anywhere. Follow NCN routes to St David's, or find a more direct route there.

This 180 mile route has a lot to offer:

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/185033

Though a more direct route on NCNs from Brecon, through Llandeilo to Carmarthen might be just as good and a lot less convoluted. Choices, choices.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

i think you are right but the original request stated perimeter not most remote or beautiful route.It is like suggesting aperson eat poached turbo,when they have requested corned beef hash,It is a normative response to an objective question.I would have though a resident of Glamorgan would have been a little more patriotic-or are you an emigree?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

mumbojumbo wrote:[quotee: Perimeter of Wales.

Cheers James
]

You have made Wales into a rectangle,which will upset Dylan Thomas and Barry John,both from west Wales.Charles has lost his castle,and Welsh culture decimated.I assume you are English.[/quote]

Sorry I think you miss understood me!!!

I meant going west above Newport, Cardiff and Swansea to Llanelli

Like wise cut out the very top of sales from Llandudno to Chester -Rhyl isn't Wales finest town!!!

Definitely do the cardigan coast fantastic riding on quiet roads. I had 2 weeks lovely riding there this summer.

I hope I've appeased Dylan Thomas!!!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Jamesh wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:[quotee: Perimeter of Wales.

Cheers James
]

You have made Wales into a rectangle,which will upset Dylan Thomas and Barry John,both from west Wales.Charles has lost his castle,and Welsh culture decimated.I assume you are English.

Sorry I think you miss understood me!!!

I meant going west above Newport, Cardiff and Swansea to Llanelli

Like wise cut out the very top of Wales from Llandudno to Chester -Rhyl isn't Wales finest town!!!

Definitely do the cardigan coast fantastic riding on quiet roads. I had 2 weeks lovely riding there this summer.

I hope I've appeased Dylan Thomas!!!

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

mumbojumbo wrote:i think you are right but the original request stated perimeter not most remote or beautiful route.It is like suggesting aperson eat poached turbo,when they have requested corned beef hash,It is a normative response to an objective question.I would have though a resident of Glamorgan would have been a little more patriotic-or are you an emigree?

I like where I live but I am also aware that I live on an island of very nice cycling surrounded by, on one side, the sea, and on the other three sides by urban areas where traffic is hard to avoid and scenery is sometimes compromised by industry. Passing through my neck of the woods would be pleasant but to get here you first have to thread through / round Newport and Cardiff, and after my patch you have Port Talbot (steel works etc) and Swansea to contend with. It can be done (eg NCN4) but there might be better alternatives.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sid Aluminium wrote:"Best"! It's Wales; you go down one little road to see something beautiful or interesting and that means you missed another little road where there was something beautiful or interesting. :D

Follow the perimeter or the lanes and you'll see things in addition to something beautiful. This is what we saw following the NCN4 just outside Newport last month on a ride from Bristol to Cardiff. It went on for a few hundred metres.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52371522
pwa

Post by pwa »

It also has to be said that at this very moment much of Wales is in a form of "lockdown" which means that while you can pass through affected counties you cannot stay or visit shops etc. You have to keep going until you reach a country not in "lockdown". At this moment, on the South Wales coast that means, after entering Newport, getting past Llanelli before stopping, which would make quite a strenuous day. North Wales also has areas with the same restrictions on visiting, but again you can pass through. If you are a resident of one of the Welsh counties in "lockdown" you cannot leave them except for "essential" reasons such as work or education. So I cannot enter my neighbouring Welsh counties for leisure.

Hopefully this mess will be a distant memory by next summer. Or is that just wishful thinking?