Been a funny old day

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Been a funny old day

Post by Si »

(or week even), as they used to say on Last of the Summer Wine.

On another thread somewhere someone asked about what are the best Christmas films. The one that I always think of is Paint Your Wagon. Not because it's a wonderful film, but because it brings back memories of when I was a lad. Myself and my cousins used to go round to my aunty and uncle's house for boxing day and it seemed that every year Paint Your Wagon was on. This lead to all us kids spending the rest of the day singing "I was born under a wandering start" Lee Marvin style in the deepest voices that we could, much to the amusement of the grown ups. When I hear it now it always makes me a bit nostalgic for those years long ago, and so I'd been thinking about old family Christmases.

Fast forward to last week.

Now, my dad, he's in his 90s and not always in the best of health. Obviously, when you have relatives of that age you do worry about them a bit. But the other day I got a strange feeling of things not being right and, for no real tangible reason, concern for my dad.

Shortly after I got home the phone went and it was my mum. Turns out that my dad's last surviving brother had just died (he was from a big family of six brothers and sisters).

Went to the funeral yesterday. Church was all covered in frost: looked like a Dickensian Christmas scene. All the family were there, some who I'd not seen for decades. We followed the coffin into the church, my dad not too steady on his feet and my cousins obviously very upset at losing their dad.

Into the church and heard the music. They'd not gone the normal route and chosen a hymn, nope, you guessed it, they had a recording of Lee Marvin singing "Wandering star". Really did bring a tear (several) to my eye. Not only for the uncle that had just passed on, but for all those relations and friends that used to come to our family Christmas celebrations and who are no longer with us, and for my dad, the last of his generation in his side of the family. Just goes to show that you need to enjoy your family now as they won't be with you for ever.

No real point to this post, and sorry to be miserable, just couldn't quite get into the right mood to start work this morning.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"Just goes to show that you need to enjoy your family now as they won't be with you for ever."

Some years ago, Joan and Roy, my In-Laws, celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary. All the family was there, both our daughters and partners, me and Mrs Mick F with her two sisters and their families. A big "do". Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Neighbours - you know the scene. A good day was had by all.

After the blessing in the church, we all went over to the church hall for nosh and booze. The place was full of smiles.

I took both our girls to one side, and made sure they knew that the scene before us would never be repeated, and that they should go round to everybody and introduce themselves and have a chat. They did so, even meeting relations they'd never met before, and getting hugs and sloppy kisses from everyone!

Here we are in late 2008. Only 8 years on, and many if not most, of the older people have gone.

Even Joan and Roy. God bless them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Si, this brought a lump to my throat.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Uncle and this must of been a real wrench to your dad and mum as well, especially now as your dad is the last of his generation.

The service for him sounds like a real celebration of his life. I do love the songs people now choose at funerals instead of the more mournful ones.

At my mums funeral (oh, boy do I MISS her..) she had Bill Haley and the Comets playing as the curtain closed... You know it.. See you later aligator! It did make us all smile.

Your post brought back all sorts of memories.

Hope your feeling better soon.

Mary
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Thinking of you ...
Dee
pigman

Post by pigman »

Si
youre lucky to have such a family, who can put on a good do, despite the solemn occassion. its things like this that often make me a bit envious. Being of foreign descent, our get togehters are extemely small - you could fit us all in one room. but at least were happy. I feel really sorry when I hear that adult siblings etc dont get on.
glueman

Post by glueman »

My in-laws have had the most appalling sequence of bereavements with their friends this year with something like six close ones dying in the last few months, some old, some quite young.
We had a card yesterday from the farmer where we used to live saying his wife had passed away, a lovely woman. Makes you think.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A big hug to you Si, it is sharing our ups and downs with friends that is an important part of our life.
Trouble shared is trouble halved, hope you are feeling better now and sorry to hear of your family's loss.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Si

Post by Si »

Many thanks for the kind words!
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Sorry to read about your loss.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar