Ebikes and fitness

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mumbojumbo

Re: Ebikes and fitness

Post by mumbojumbo »

I have zero idea what you are talking about. The point is had the bike not had some electrical assistance I would not have cycled for 40 miles yesterday with 20 miles into a head wind.

[quote][/quote]

What I am suggesting is that the rider did not burn off the calories indicated on the print off.If this disappoints you |am very sorry.Having stated my view I have litle knowledge,interest in or enthusiasm for complicated computers-I know some people are very sold on them.I to keep cycling simple and simply record my destination and time in saddle to nearest hour.
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

^Its not a print out, it's something called Strava :).

Anyways I don't think anyone is trying to count calories, its simply what Strava reports, it was more to show just how little 'assistance' you can ask from an eBike depending on your type of riding terrain.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

There have been several studies that prove that experienced cyclists work just as hard on an ebike as they do on a regular one, they just go a lot further and travel faster. I certainly do!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

[quotePostby Gangzoom » 29 Sep 2020, 8:47pm

^Its not a print out, it's something called Strava :).

Anyways I don't think anyone is trying to count calories, its simply what Strava reports, it was more to show just how little 'assistance' you can ask from an eBike depending on your type of riding terrain.][/quote]

It iwas in text form so assumed it had been printed-how else does it get on page.screen?The calories were mentioned in the non-print out.Strava sounds like a gimmicky thing to me.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

https://www.strava.com/

Will add to my Xmas wish list after the Mary Berry cooking app!
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I love these debates, arguments or whatever we might call them.
I have no intention of trying to understand the facts, figures and graphs and much of the ( unnecessary in my opinion) data that people produce in comparing the advantages and disadvantages of the non ebike to the ebike.
We all love cycling. That surely has to be the one fact joining us all together. To be able to get out in the countryside on two wheels is a wonderful gift as there are thousands who would love to but cannot for numerous reasons.
I bought myself a ebike earlier this year .I have done 1000miles on it during lockdown and also many miles on my Ridgeback touring bike along with equally many miles on my Claud Butler town bike ( used most days for shopping etc).
Each bike has a place in my life and in my heart. I certainly get a workout on my ebike. I only engage the motor when I really need to. So when Borisface states .Quote ''The moral from my experience is don't be seduced into thinking that you are getting a decent workout with an ebike. You are not. '''unquote.
This may well be the situation for Borisface but it will not be for many. I have a serious asthma issue so even with the Bosch engaged my wife passes me on the hills easily on her Pendelton ebike bought at a quarter of the price of my Cannondale ebike. However this gets me out there on two wheels puffing and panting on the hills. I certainly get a work out.

To Mumbojumbo
''When I witness people on ebikes i notice several things
1.they seem to be wearing miltiple layers of clothing suggesting they are cold through inactivity
2.they ride round like Father Brown,very upright
3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists ''
unquote.
No 1 Absolute nonsense.
No 2 Many non ebikes are upright Have a look at the Netherlands.
No 3 You should see me...There is certainly a grimace on my face on most inclines.

Never made the link between Bob Dylan going Electric and my buying an ebike????? But I am chuffed that there might be such a connection. Well if you don't like his post 1965 music that is very sad. Some of the greatest music ever produced..
What's the word, hmmmm Oh yes I think it is called progress.

It is now raining in Solihull as I sit and read this post back to myself to make sure it is English. After lunch I will be out on my bike. There poses a question? Which one???
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

To Mumbojumbo
''When I witness people on ebikes i notice several things
1.they seem to be wearing miltiple layers of clothing suggesting they are cold through inactivity
2.they ride round like Father Brown,very upright
3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists ''
unquote.
No 1 Absolute nonsense.
No 2 Many non ebikes are upright Have a look at the Netherlands.
No 3 You should see me...There is certainly a grimace on my face on most inclines.

Never made the link between Bob Dylan going Electric and my buying an ebike????? But I am chuffed that there might be such a connection. Well if you don't like his post 1965 music that is very sad. Some of the greatest music ever produced..
What's the word, hmmmm Oh yes I think it is called progress.
membership of Freemasons per capita inn West Midlands
It is now raining in Solihull as I sit and read this post back to myself to make sure it is English. After lunch I will be out on my bike. There poses a question? Which one???

You cannot contradict what I have witnessed,as you were not present.I cannot comment on Holland as have never and will never visit such a nation,but have seen FB on a bike.Whether you grimace on or not is your private decision,I simply report my observations.Finally have never visited Solihull although |I understand it is an upmarket suburb of Birmingham,which once had a division of British Leyaland and hasn the highest per capita membership of Freemasons in UK.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mumbojumbo wrote:3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists

If grimacing is normal, then cycling has gone very wrong in this country! www.bikeyface.com/what-is-a-bikeyface/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The link is rather frightening,notably the woman cycling with a child on her bars,which looks a bit mad.Did you go to Royal Academy to perfect your artistry?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote:The link is rather frightening,notably the woman cycling with a child on her bars,which looks a bit mad.

This one?

It looks to me as if the child is strapped into a seat on the frame behind the bars.

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You mean the bars which will bruise her,if and when mother/granny/sister/nurse/au pair lurches forward in an accident?Are you suggesting this is safe and to be recommended?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's a matter for the adult who's responsible for the child and the relevant regulations.

I was merely questioning whether we were looking at the same picture because I couldn't match it from your description.

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Well you were clearly able to identify as you posted picture,and the seat ia attached to cross-bars/top tubes.I| am surprised you donot have an opinion.It is for an adult to decide but surely you can work out what you would do?
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Person A on an ebike may get less exercise than person B on an ordinary bike. But person A may get more exercise on an ebike than if they were not using an ebike.

Spot on. Any bike is a good bike, and any ride is exercise - ebike or otherwise!
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Well said richtea99.

In my comment yesterday I was being a little light hearted in my words as some seem to get very serious over the subject of ebikes. Their place in the cycling world plus all the other issues and really it matters not one jot to some how we manage to enjoy our time cycling. As long as we are out in the sun, wind and rain?

To mumbojumbo
You are perfectly right that I cannot contradict what you have seen. I apologise for my contradiction. All these ecyclists ( if we call them that) wearing multiple layers of clothing and your seeing Father Brown on his bike? You certainly appear to have strong feelings on The Netherlands. I wonder why?
I also wonder why when you quote me in your response that you add a half a sentence of complete irrelevance and I quote ''membership of Freemasons per capita inn West Midlands'' unquote.
What is that about as I certainly never mentioned anything about Freemasons in my post? All very strange. You then continued to give an equally strange insight into Solihull. Hmmm.?
IMG_E1715[1].jpg

My wife in less than multiple layers of clothing with her ebike next to my ebike. I was wearing shorts and a polo shirt at the time. This was a beautiful day out during this wretched lockdown.