NHS Covid-19 app shortcoming?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: NHS Covid-19 app shortcoming?

Post by thirdcrank »

I've no problem with the ideas behind test and trace and their importance has been hammered home constantly for what seems like forever.

Unfortunately, the delivery does not seem to match the presentation.

I received a text from some official source urging me to download the app but it seems my iphone 5C is inadequate for the job in hand. Information is hard to find and at best unclear.

Testing seems chaotic.

The slogan might as well be "Hands, knees and bumps-a-daisy."
Syd

Post by Syd »

thirdcrank wrote:I've no problem with the ideas behind test and trace and their importance has been hammered home constantly for what seems like forever.

Unfortunately, the delivery does not seem to match the presentation.

I received a text from some official source urging me to download the app but it seems my iphone 5C is inadequate for the job in hand. Information is hard to find and at best unclear.

Testing seems chaotic.

The slogan might as well be "Hands, knees and bumps-a-daisy."

Seems the latest iOS supported by the 5c is 10.3 with the app requiring iOS 13 (supported on iPhone 6s and later).

Seems they are excluding a lot of potential users who still have older hardware.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Syd wrote: ... Seems the latest iOS supported by the 5c is 10.3 with the app requiring iOS 13 (supported on iPhone 6s and later).

Seems they are excluding a lot of potential users who still have older hardware.

Some of us are a lot older than our phones - some 70 years difference in my case, but I do try to keep up.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The 5c is my favourite phone. Super little device.
Small and fits in a pocket easily. Nice bright screen and can do just about anything a smart phone can do.
I still use mine, and now with a PAYG Sim in it.

Trouble is, the 5c is now unsupported, so as such, I bought a secondhand 6s for my contract Sim. It's a bit big, but at least not too big!
Mine is now at IOS 14.0.1

5c is at IOS 10.3.3 and that's as far as it'll go ............................ sadly. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:
Syd wrote: ... Seems the latest iOS supported by the 5c is 10.3 with the app requiring iOS 13 (supported on iPhone 6s and later).

Some of us are a lot older than our phones - some 70 years difference in my case, but I do try to keep up.

But keep up with what?
I have an iphone 4 running (I think!) 7.0.6
And yet it has retained it's normal internet functionality really well.
Only in the last few months have certain video type clips (and it is the minority) become difficult to stream.
Though it takes a longer time to do some things than it did previously. Unnecessary complexity?

Many Apps of course won't load onto it, but I don't really use apps. Many commercial apps have a normal webpage that does work.
(Having said that Chain Reaction cycles won't let me pay any more with it so I don't/can't use them. Not so tragic! And their loss.)

What is all this new code so important for?
What does it all do, this update stuff, if my phone still works so well generally?

I fear I may go just down another route when this old thing fails and just give up the internet altogether.
Take a new simpler perspective.
And be less watched over too maybe.