Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
richardfm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Post by richardfm »

I take an enamel mug, a small cafetiere that does one mug and some coffee that I grind and pack individual portions before leavng
Richard M
Cardiff
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I bring a plastic microwave safe stuff cos mostly anywhere I'm at, campsites and such, there's a microwave and electric kettle to hand. Don't do much wild camping since it would mean carting a lot more stuff.
I am here. Where are you?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cowsham wrote:I bring a plastic microwave safe stuff cos mostly anywhere I'm at, campsites and such, there's a microwave and electric kettle to hand. Don't do much wild camping since it would mean carting a lot more stuff.

a microwave!
I don't even have such a thing at home.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote:
Cowsham wrote:I bring a plastic microwave safe stuff cos mostly anywhere I'm at, campsites and such, there's a microwave and electric kettle to hand. Don't do much wild camping since it would mean carting a lot more stuff.

a microwave!
I don't even have such a thing at home.

:lol: like it.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Morzedec wrote:Clean hanky and a dinner jacket.

Get invited everywhere, saves cooking.

You are Patrick Leigh-Fermor and I claim my five pound note.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote:not the right thread, but...
soon after I learned about the bio-degradable wet-wipes (see upthread), I read a study finds that for the first time ever, micro-plastics are now routinely found in human organs. Great - just what we need...
So back to the idea that there are plastics in wet-wipes, T bags, kitchen towel - anything in fact that needs protection from being too quick to dissolve. Enter the bio-degradable variant. But I'm sorry to say that the food industry have an awful reputation for spin and opacity and I will lay odds of 100:1 that when they say their products are "bio-degradable" it doesn't mean they are plastic-free. Evidence? Well, companies like Pukka, who used to have good food-safety credentials, are already playing that game - they say their T bags are safe & bio-degradable but it turns out that they still have a plastic element, albiet lower than mainstream product like Typhoo / PG Tips - all three are ultimately owned by Unilever. They all cheerfully point out that there's no evidence that the presence of microplastics poses a health threat (of course not - it's a relatively recent development & its waaaay too early to say one way or another, for sure), and use carefully prepared phrases, like
The envelope contains only a very thin layer of BPA and PVC free plastic,
Well thanks, but I'm not convinced these products are safe, long-term.

I think PG Tips bags, or at least certain boxes of PG Tips bags, are now paper not plastic.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Something I take is a small plastic chopping board from a standard kitchen shop, not camping-specific.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

A chopping oard in a dark colour serves as a commuication aid/blackboard,and as a headboard,tool-tray and a prayer mat if grass wet.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Something I take is a small plastic chopping board from a standard kitchen shop, not camping-specific.

me too, even though the trangia has a sort of chopping board/strainer.
I got mine from Lidl in one of their pretty frequent kitchen kit promos.
Also a great Decathlon fold-out lockable cooking knife - it's pretty seriously heavy but am confident I can chop anything with it - so much I use it at home in the kitchen as my go-to knife.
I think it may be discontinued - possibly because it's a rather too useful urban weapon.

edit - it may well be discontinued as couldn't find it on the decathlon web site (tho it is notoriously poor).

This is the esteemed knife.

https://decathlon.com.au/products/hikin ... 3624066159
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If I'm away on a bike holiday I don't want to be honing my culinary skills all day long. I'll either eat out or eat cheap at the campsite or whatever facility I've landed at. Carrying food around with me ? Not for me.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Cowsham wrote:If I'm away on a bike holiday I don't want to be honing my culinary skills all day long. I'll either eat out or eat cheap at the campsite or whatever facility I've landed at. Carrying food around with me ? Not for me.

I'm with you. I carry coffee making kit and emergency supplies in case I can't find anywhere to eat out, but don't plan to prepare meals.
Richard M
Cardiff
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cowsham wrote:If I'm away on a bike holiday I don't want to be honing my culinary skills all day long.

I assure you I don't "hone" my culinary skills at home or on tour.
My philosophy is that if it can't be made in 20 minutes, usually less, forget it. Am happy with basic simple food.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I don't want to be honing my culinary skills all day long.
That's why I took to touring northern France, all those years ago - I worked out that the countryside was lovely and the food excellent - no need to take cooking equipment with me.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Cowsham wrote:If I'm away on a bike holiday I don't want to be honing my culinary skills all day long. I'll either eat out or eat cheap at the campsite or whatever facility I've landed at. Carrying food around with me ? Not for me.

More or less the same for me except I always carry some food with me, enough for one evening meal and one breakfast, just in case. I've only needed to use the evening meal part on a few occasions but use the breakfast part quite regularly.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PaulaT wrote:

More or less the same for me except I always carry some food with me, enough for one evening meal and one breakfast, just in case. I've only needed to use the evening meal part on a few occasions but use the breakfast part quite regularly.

If you carry no cooking kit, what is this standby evening meal you carry?
(I have been reduced to eat some pretty strange stuff before bedding down if I couldn't be bothered to cook)
Sweep