Glueless Patches

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Glueless Patches

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:Unless you can see a nail or thorn in the tyre it's hard to find the hole in a tube.

Usually I can see the flint or glass responsible for most of my interruptions but dribbling water on the partially-reinflated tyre and watching for bubbles finds most of the rest. The remaining 1% suck.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's helpful to locate the source of the puncture to prevent getting a second one from the same object. When the object isn't obvious, you can usually locate the jet of air from the hole in the tube, then that gives you the approximate position of the object (assuming you know the tyre's position relative to the tube, eg because you match the label with the valve).
David9694

Post by David9694 »

mercalia wrote:if they dont last why bother at all? whats this good for a temporary repair, how much more effort does it take to do it properly with rubber soln and patch? All the effort is taking the tyre off? if the weather is bad you just change the tube. I dont get it.

I agree, Although it’s hard to get tubes at less than a fiver a time.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

David9694 wrote: Although it’s hard to get tubes at less than a fiver a time.

You're not looking hard enough.
Sweep
David9694

Post by David9694 »

See you in the new bargain inner tubes thread!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

David9694 wrote:See you in the new bargain inner tubes thread!

£2.99 in Decathlon, £3.50 in Go Outdoors
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote:

And planetx do frequent offers on tubes. Vavert branded which go outdoors sell sometimes.
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

andrew_s wrote:

4 for a tenner in Halfords
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

David9694 wrote:
Eyebrox wrote:I found the Park ones to be suitably thin and pliable - which helped when tucking the repaired tube back into the tyre at the roadside. Not cheap though at £6 for six. Maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Glued or glue-less, I find that on tubes for thinner tyres, where the curvature is greater the ability of the patch to bend and stay bent matters the most. There’s a lot of for-glue patches out there that will come unstuck.

Just tried a couple of GP-2s on a tight curve. Quite impressed.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:
andrew_s wrote:

4 for a tenner in Halfords

Is there no quality threshold then? ;-)

I wasn't impressed with the Vavert (as seen at PX and GO) because they didn't take patches reliably. Half odds tubes with the orange label seem ok, but I'd still rather Schwalbe or Impac with the superior Woods valves.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
humankeith

Post by humankeith »

I carry the PartTool 'stickers' and had just assumed these had taken over the 'old fashioned' boxes with glue, crayon, patches with orange bit around the edge.

I've been using these for the past 10 years and have tubes with multiple punctures repaired by them in all condition and still going strong.

I've never had one fail on bikes running psi of 60-110.
nomm

Post by nomm »

I've been using the Parktool stickers for 5+ years now without issue until I left a bike out, all day in the sun, in the most recent heatwave (30+) - 2 peeled and lifted on the same tyre in the same way at the same time... Must have been the heat?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I started this thread after repairing a puncture on my daughter's bike discovering that I was very low on normal patches and deciding to try using some glueless patches from Wilco that someone had given me. I said I would feed back on the success or not. Well last week I noticed that her rear tyre was once again flat so thought to myself "that patch didn't hold". However I discovered that she had another puncture and that the patch I had fitted was holding perfectly. So, so for so good.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nomm wrote:I've been using the Parktool stickers for 5+ years now without issue until I left a bike out, all day in the sun, in the most recent heatwave (30+) - 2 peeled and lifted on the same tyre in the same way at the same time... Must have been the heat?

unionised patches, them; one off, all off....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~