Ginnels, and snickets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ginnels, and snickets

Post by Mick F »

Back in Wigan when I woz a kid, we called them "entries". Mrs Mick F is a Scouser, and she called them "allies" or "passage-ways".

Neither me nor Mrs Mick F had heard the word "ginnell' until we moved to Scotland.
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

As a kid in 1960s Manchester they were called Entries, or sometimes Alleys.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Some of you will know Pennel's Vennel in Peebles. So named after George Pennel who ran the bike shop there for many years and the haunt of many young cyclists through the sixties, seventies and onwards.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

'Twittens' round here.
"42"
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

"Jitty" in Leicester
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Called a padd where I grew up.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I'm in Halifax, in West Yorkshire.
The traditions that I've been brought up with have been :
Ginnel - being a footpath between walls - not necessarily walls between buildings, walls to each-side of a footpath can be between fields.
Snicket - being a footpath open on one side with wall/hedge etc on other side, or open both sides.

But these things are never 100% - a footpath quite near where I live has a high wall down one side, a 6'0" hedge on most of the other side, with house gable-ends at each end, and it's called the 'brickyard'!......and a lot of open footpaths are just 'footpaths'.

Where open footpaths have been fenced on one or both sides, we still call them footpaths........fences don't count as walls.

Some of the "comer-ins" in the new houses use other words for some footpaths, like 'passage'.............but they're not from here! - and they can't walk anyway, they live in cars!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i grew up in Northamptonshire, where any narrow, urban route was an alley, whether big enough for a car or barely wide enough to walk through.

For the last forty years i've lived in Sheffield Jennel, Ginel or however you want to spell it, is the term used for the same thing but not exclusively, certainly once motor traffic uses same it is referred to more usually as a lane.

The York Snickelways are a little different to the run of the mill alleys as they are (mostly) public thoroughfares providing access to shops and premises with no other access having been built between streets. I'm sure you can find similar in other medieval cities/towns but maybe in less profussion.

I'm in Bristol atm where the paths between houses seem to be referred to as simply the lane or alley
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We also have Wynds in Northumberland. Not quite the same as vennels which go between buildings, Wynds are narrow dog leg lanes.
John
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

sjs wrote:
Rod Goodfellow wrote:In Sheffield in 1940s known as a jennel

East Midlands, or at least Derby/Nottingham area, they're gitties.

I beg to disagree, as a born and bred Nottingham lad, they were always known as twitchels.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Alley or Entry where I grew up.
Along with Batches; an individual round of bread used for a sandwich, but have had to get used to; roll, cob, barm cake, over the years.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

eileithyia wrote:Alley or Entry where I grew up.
Seems right to me, being a Wigan chap.

Dad was Wigan by history and heritage. Mum was from Coppull history and heritage.
Bought up in Wigan/Sandish.
Mick F. Cornwall
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Nottingham - jitties!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mick F wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Alley or Entry where I grew up.
Seems right to me, being a Wigan chap.

Dad was Wigan by history and heritage. Mum was from Coppull history and heritage.
Bought up in Wigan/Sandish.

'Cept I was brought up in the Midlands not Wigan/Standish.

PS You would hate to see the state of the Robin Hood these days... boarded up and very unloved looking.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
sjs

Post by sjs »

TrevA wrote:
sjs wrote:
Rod Goodfellow wrote:In Sheffield in 1940s known as a jennel

East Midlands, or at least Derby/Nottingham area, they're gitties.

I beg to disagree, as a born and bred Nottingham lad, they were always known as twitchels.

That's interesting. I see there's a vote for gitty/jitty upthread from Leicester. Maybe in the Nottingham/Derby area gitty was more ocal to Ilkeston than I thought.