Bikes feature in Observer 'Woman' Magazine Fashion Awards

Dee Jay

Bikes feature in Observer 'Woman' Magazine Fashion Awards

Post by Dee Jay »

It may seem a bit cheeky to consider this campaigning, but from the point of view of some women it could prove more successful than many other ways.

Scroll down to Number 32:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... wards-2008
Dee
james01

Post by james01 »

Apart from being the wrong sex,not owning a Pashley or a bar-basket (although I do like the occasional doughnut), and never knowingly riding languidly, I'm clearly a contender for Alternative Style of the Year Award (maybe I'd better stop tucking my trousers into my socks, I'll stand a better chance). 8)
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

I shall have a go at 'riding languidly' - I shall report back .... although I think I might have be in a county other than Devon. Or does anyone think it's possible to do 'languid' whilst climbing?
Dee
paulah

Post by paulah »

you're obviously not members of the movement

http://theslowbicycle.blogspot.com/

However the bicycle is now officially fashionable, the other week in manchester I spotted three shop windows using city / dutch bikes as part of the display - Selfridges and 2 trendy womens clothes shops (ok, 4 if you count Evans cycles)
CJ

Post by CJ »

Dee Jay wrote:I shall have a go at 'riding languidly' - I shall report back .... although I think I might have be in a county other than Devon. Or does anyone think it's possible to do 'languid' whilst climbing?

I'm not sure "languid" is the right word (meanings include listless and lacking in spirit, which all sounds rather depressing) whereas I feel sure the author really intended to connect lack of haste with elegance.

That being the case, it's simply a matter of equipping one's bicycle with a low enough gear. I mean REALLY low. Never mind twenty-something inches: we're talking about the teens.

Any competent rider should be able to balance a bike at a slow walking speed, i.e. 2mph, and pedal easily at 60rpm. That equates to an 11 inch gear. Unfortunately you'll not get that low without resorting to special measures, such as Mountain-Drive or a small wheels. But any bike can easily have a 17 inch bottom gear and that'll do 2½mph at 50rpm.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

CJ wrote:
Dee Jay wrote:I shall have a go at 'riding languidly' - I shall report back .... although I think I might have be in a county other than Devon. Or does anyone think it's possible to do 'languid' whilst climbing?

I'm not sure "languid" is the right word (meanings include listless and lacking in spirit, which all sounds rather depressing) whereas I feel sure the author really intended to connect lack of haste with elegance.

That being the case, it's simply a matter of equipping one's bicycle with a low enough gear. I mean REALLY low. Never mind twenty-something inches: we're talking about the teens.

Any competent rider should be able to balance a bike at a slow walking speed, i.e. 2mph, and pedal easily at 60rpm. That equates to an 11 inch gear. Unfortunately you'll not get that low without resorting to special measures, such as Mountain-Drive or a small wheels. But any bike can easily have a 17 inch bottom gear and that'll do 2½mph at 50rpm.

I'm sure you are right, CJ: unhurried, not breaking a sweat and going at a speed which would enable pedestrians, motorists and fellow cyclists to admire 'the look' being 'showcased'! (Obviously, this is the 'languid' I'd be aiming for!! 8) )

Aiming for ^^^^, too!!
Dee
meic

Post by meic »

If glamourous women were cycling along the road at 2mph, would more cars be willing to wait until it is safe before overtaking?
Yma o Hyd
paulah

Post by paulah »

meic wrote:If glamourous women were cycling along the road at 2mph, would more cars be willing to wait until it is safe before overtaking?

I don't know about glamorous but it was found by that research by Ian Walker into overtaking that motorists give more room to cyclists that look like women. If only you would all wear a wig and skirt when cycling...
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

paulah wrote:
meic wrote:If glamourous women were cycling along the road at 2mph, would more cars be willing to wait until it is safe before overtaking?

I don't know about glamorous but it was found by that research by Ian Walker into overtaking that motorists give more room to cyclists that look like women. If only you would all wear a wig and skirt when cycling...

:( Aww ... and I thought it was the glamour I try to bring to the activity! :roll: Oh, well .... I shan't stop now! 8)
Dee
meic

Post by meic »

I can have the wig, skirt and red lipstick but my wife says the beard is staying on. :wink:
Yma o Hyd