Bike Stuff at Aldi - Ongoing Updates

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi This Sunday 27/9/20

Post by mjr »

GranvilleThomas wrote:[...] when the ambient light level is high, then in the battle to be seen, I want all my available light to be heading for all other people in the vicinity’s retinas and that includes people driving vehicles as well as pedestrians on the pavement or crossing the road.

By directing all your available light at the ground in those circumstances is surely just asking for a SMIDSY event to take place?

It's not usually all the available light. Few cut offs are so harsh to be invisible above their horizon. There is still intentional spill over to illuminate reflective road signs and help other road users to see you. It's just not dazzling.

Dazzling other road users doesn't help you to be seen (dazzled drivers don't see much), it's illegal and it endangers other cyclists, so it's a really antisocial thing to do.

Just to reiterate I am talking about low to medium power lights here, the power of which is open for debate obviously but just lets say for the sake of argument all lights below 500 lumen are classed as low to medium power.

Lumens are bunk. You can have a million lumens and if you focus it into a tight beam straight up then no road users will care (air traffic might!). Lux and equivalent matter, both on road and in the face.

My experience of cycling at night in recent years is that many modern car lights are far too bright and dazzling and i’m sure they can’t all be out of alignment or have illegal light unit upgrades installed?

Of course they can. Ask ten random drivers who aren't car mechanics (or close relatives) and don't drive the car they learned in how to check and adjust the permanent alignment of their headlights and I'd be surprised if two could answer correctly. The proportion of cars driving around with missing lights is almost a pandemic. Add the malfunctioning ones and it'll be well over half around here.

Sorry I value my life too much!

And I value everyone's lives too much to dazzle motorists who can kill me or any nearby cyclist or walker with impunity if they don't slow/stop correctly when dazzle. Please don't argue against beam standards. That Aldi light seems dross.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

The front light of this set does have a cut off. It's directly in front. And that cut off is not dramatically changed by selecting a higher power setting. Consequently, if I want to press on, this light is not my first choice.
However, I do possess several sets all bought when they have been discounted to such an extent as to become irresistible.

Where I find them useful is as a cheap backup - given the inevitability that lights of this type will go out rather suddenly (flashing green light notwithstanding), I keep one unlit on the bars until such time as my 'main beam' dies, or appears to be about to.
The 'main beam' is also from Aldi, also usb chargeable but has a better lense design that provides my desired pencil beam.
On longer 'matchlit' rides, I keep a second spare in the saddlebag.

As said before, the rear light is excellent and it's worth buying the set just for that.
spikesoton

Post by spikesoton »

I bought the panniers, lights, short sleeved top, 5.99 winter gloves and GT85. I would have got muck off lube but I couldn't see any.

The gloves are very thick so I went a size up. The gel palm should make them more comfortable than ski gloves. I suspect they will be useful when the temperature gets below 5C.

The lights seem good except for the double click to switch too-from flashing. Only managed that once on each light so far!

As for the panniers, they don't have any means of fixing to the bottom of the rack so I will need to get a bungee on each side or a long one over both. Actually I have often done that with cheap panniers anyway because it's such a faff to connect them to the rack. Might not be an issue if full. As shown in the other photos, they sit high on the rack, being deigned for racks with a side rail each side. That might be an advantage on a small wheel bicycle. (See Aldi web pages). The clips to hang the bag from the rack are quite stiff and would suit wire racks better than thicker tubes. I bought them for commuting as they look quite posh and will take a laptop and change of clothes plus waterproof and lunch. The idea of panniers to rucksack would be good for bike-train commuting.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

spikesoton wrote:As for the panniers, they don't have any means of fixing to the bottom of the rack so I will need to get a bungee on each side or a long one over both.

You can get all of the Ortlieb hook bits individually:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=ortlieb%20hook

Jonathan
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

mjr wrote:
GranvilleThomas wrote:[...] when the ambient light level is high, then in the battle to be seen, I want all my available light to be heading for all other people in the vicinity’s retinas and that includes people driving vehicles as well as pedestrians on the pavement or crossing the road.

By directing all your available light at the ground in those circumstances is surely just asking for a SMIDSY event to take place?

It's not usually all the available light. Few cut offs are so harsh to be invisible above their horizon. There is still intentional spill over to illuminate reflective road signs and help other road users to see you. It's just not dazzling.

Dazzling other road users doesn't help you to be seen (dazzled drivers don't see much), it's illegal and it endangers other cyclists, so it's a really antisocial thing to do.

Just to reiterate I am talking about low to medium power lights here, the power of which is open for debate obviously but just lets say for the sake of argument all lights below 500 lumen are classed as low to medium power.

Lumens are bunk. You can have a million lumens and if you focus it into a tight beam straight up then no road users will care (air traffic might!). Lux and equivalent matter, both on road and in the face.

My experience of cycling at night in recent years is that many modern car lights are far too bright and dazzling and i’m sure they can’t all be out of alignment or have illegal light unit upgrades installed?

Of course they can. Ask ten random drivers who aren't car mechanics (or close relatives) and don't drive the car they learned in how to check and adjust the permanent alignment of their headlights and I'd be surprised if two could answer correctly. The proportion of cars driving around with missing lights is almost a pandemic. Add the malfunctioning ones and it'll be well over half around here.

Sorry I value my life too much!

And I value everyone's lives too much to dazzle motorists who can kill me or any nearby cyclist or walker with impunity if they don't slow/stop correctly when dazzle. Please don't argue against beam standards. That Aldi light seems dross.

Sorry but I think your being a little pedantic :)

After following many lighting discussions on cycling forums the phrases ‘beam cut off’ and 'beam standards' have become a mantra, as if repeating it whenever lights are discussed will somehow be some kind of panacea for all ill’s.

If you are using lights that are approaching the same power as a modern car on your bike, then yes some way of not dazzling other road users is appropriate, but for very many bike lights, it is simply not necessary and in fact counter productive because nobody will easily see you.

The Aldi front light is not the best it's true, but to try and claim it is some kind of dazzling super light is simply incorrect, it's just a cheap LED torch and trying to claim it will put peoples lives at risk is just a gross exaggeration, it is simply not bright enough, especially when mixed in amongst the myriad of light sources in the average urban environment.

If you press any light up against your eye and switch it on then you will most likely 'dazzle' yourself, but that does not necessarily mean that the light will dazzle anyone else when roaming wild in the jungle of lights out there, where it is imperative that you are visible.

I am not arguing against beam standards, I am just arguing for common sense. I have no intention of dazzling anyone and I test all my lights by walking up the road and looking at them, it's not rocket science.

I understand about candelas, lumens and lux, I used the term 'lumens' because it is the trendy way of describing the light intensity and most people understand the general meaning of it, but you correct it is largely meaningless in the way it is generally used.

I'm afraid we will just have to disagree as I do not think (as you seem to) that 'dim', 'weak', 'puny', 'low power', hard too see but legal (4 candelas or similar for example) lights need their potential visibility to other road users restricted because of a 'beam standard' requirement.

To suggest that such lights (and similar low output cycle lights) have the potential to dazzle other road users is just sensationalism and potentially putting peoples lives in danger when on the road, by encouraging them to restrict their visibility to others who are consistently using far brighter lighting day and night.

I understand that you do not agree with me and you are obviously passionate about your 'beam standard' cause but sorry I think differently :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

GranvilleThomas wrote:
mjr wrote:It's not usually all the available light. Few cut offs are so harsh to be invisible above their horizon. There is still intentional spill over to illuminate reflective road signs and help other road users to see you. It's just not dazzling.

[...] If you are using lights that are approaching the same power as a modern car on your bike, then yes some way of not dazzling other road users is appropriate, but for very many bike lights, it is simply not necessary and in fact counter productive because nobody will easily see you.

People will easily see you if they bother to look. The problem is more often not that lights have too sharp a beam cut-off, or that people aren't using sufficiently bright lights, but that the motorist did not look properly.

I understand that you do not agree with me and you are obviously passionate about your 'beam standard' cause but sorry I think differently :)

No, I'm just sick of being dazzled by idiot British cyclists who on average use overpriced torches strapped wobbily to their handlebars instead of real headlights, and of the internet apologists for them who argue that it's safer to ride with a torch because they didn't realise that a "cut off" is not total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

mjr wrote:
GranvilleThomas wrote:
mjr wrote:It's not usually all the available light. Few cut offs are so harsh to be invisible above their horizon. There is still intentional spill over to illuminate reflective road signs and help other road users to see you. It's just not dazzling.

[...] If you are using lights that are approaching the same power as a modern car on your bike, then yes some way of not dazzling other road users is appropriate, but for very many bike lights, it is simply not necessary and in fact counter productive because nobody will easily see you.

People will easily see you if they bother to look. The problem is more often not that lights have too sharp a beam cut-off, or that people aren't using sufficiently bright lights, but that the motorist did not look properly.

No, I'm just sick of being dazzled by idiot British cyclists who on average use overpriced torches strapped wobbily to their handlebars instead of real headlights, and of the internet apologists for them who argue that it's safer to ride with a torch because they didn't realise that a "cut off" is not total.

OK all the best. have a great day :D
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

mjr wrote:No, I'm just sick of being dazzled by idiot British cyclists who on average use overpriced torches strapped wobbily to their handlebars instead of real headlights, and of the internet apologists for them who argue that it's safer to ride with a torch because they didn't realise that a "cut off" is not total.

Do something about it apart from bleating, moaning, whining and whinging.
mjr

Post by mjr »

De Sisti wrote:
mjr wrote:No, I'm just sick of being dazzled by idiot British cyclists who on average use overpriced torches strapped wobbily to their handlebars instead of real headlights, and of the internet apologists for them who argue that it's safer to ride with a torch because they didn't realise that a "cut off" is not total.

Do something about it apart from bleating, moaning, whining and whinging.

Are you suggesting hitting them,or what?
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

I found that a lezyne microdrive band works as a direct replacement for the Aldi strap (which I did manage to break)

I've used one of a previous year's light set for commuting, some audaxes and a FNRttC. It's a nice, solid little light with a good run time on setting 1/2 which is usually enough for road riding for me, with the higher settings good for when you head downhill.

I bought a second set this year, the front light looks identical to my old one, and if anything it's marginally brighter. I'm now happy to have a spare in my saddle bag :)
al_yrpal

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi 12/10/20

Post by al_yrpal »

Battery powered pump for bike tyres or cars available right now 12/10/20

Aldi number 704562370431100

Got one and its brilliant

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

al_yrpal wrote:Battery powered pump for bike tyres or cars available right now 12/10/20

Al

Have you used it on a car type tyre? My van needs about 50 psi.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

simonhill wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Battery powered pump for bike tyres or cars available right now 12/10/20

Al

Have you used it on a car type tyre? My van needs about 50 psi.

Yes use it on my VW Camper @ 60psi

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

mjr wrote:The description for the lights say ". Lights to be used in line with road vehicle lighting regulations" so I guess they're not K marked and so not sufficient to make you legally lit on their own. Shame. I wish they'd take a page from lidl's book.

I have a couple of sets of these lights and they are very good and well worth it in my opinion.

Downside if any i am not sure if you can get replacement rubber straps for the front one
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

GranvilleThomas wrote:I purchased the Aldi light set last year and I think they are very good quality and value for money.
Thanks for the super review, GT - there's a future for you in the cycle-equipment-testing-and-reviewing profession! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)