Three Speed Day Rides and Touring, how long and how far.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sid Aluminium

Re: Three Speed Day Rides and Touring, how long and how far.

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Carlton green wrote:Thanks, that’s interesting and I might well think about it.

Well, you can participate in the 'challenge' fun without officially registering&etc. :D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sid Aluminium wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Thanks, that’s interesting and I might well think about it.

Well, you can participate in the 'challenge' fun without officially registering&etc. :D

Indeed, and hence I did an hour and half out down my local country lanes this morning. Lovely day for it too. :D
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Carlton green wrote:Picking overall gearing on a 3-speed hub is, IMHO, a bit of an art. I don’t know about the gear spread on the Sram but the AW is a ‘workable’ compromise.

The Sturmey-Archer K and AW, Shimano Nexus 3 and Fichtel&Sachs/SRAM T3 & iMotion 3 all have ~basically~ the same gear spread. It's a good design choice between overall gear range and the step size between gears.

My Sram 5-speed hub with back peddling hub brake was a joy to use, sadly it’s now out of production but spare parts are still available in Germany.

I'm still bumfuzzled that SRAM ended - just flat out bell up and quit - IGH production, rather than sell the intellectual property and tooling to some other company.