Busted wheel- Got knocked off my bike. **bike dummy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LianneVokes

Busted wheel- Got knocked off my bike. **bike dummy

Post by LianneVokes »

Hi guys,
I got knocked off my bike, :oops: I'm okay but the bike not so much.
I have a cruiser which is pretty unusual. It's a single speed where I have to reverse peddle to brake.
I have no idea what I should do now?
What do I need to do to fix him. Is this some sort of special wheel :idea:
The back wheel is buckled so bad some dude said I had a 'banana wheel'.
Should I just find a guy local to fix it? Or could I fix it myself.

Thanks in advance

** Yes I am a bike dummy
Attachments
IMG_20201006_174822.jpg
IMG_20201006_174855.jpg
Jdsk

Re: Busted wheel- Got knocked off my bike. **bike dummy

Post by Jdsk »

That's called a "back pedal" or "coaster" brake.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

Is it only the wheel that is damaged?

What size tyre is it? if you're not sure tell us everything that's written on it.

Where are you?

Does it have another brake on the front wheel?

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Nice bike!

But unless the front brake is very well hidden, it is not road legal, and, more importantly, is not safe, with just the back pedal brake. I would recommend either getting a brake fixed to the front, or ride only away from traffic and where you won't endanger pedestrians.

A Velodrome would be ideal :wink:

Wheel straightening is a skilled art, not for the faint hearted and depending on just how bad it is, may well require the rim to be replaced. I'd advise taking to your local bike shop.
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote:But unless the front brake is very well hidden, it is not road legal,

...not road legal in the UK, if permanently resident here.

and, more importantly, is not safe, with just the back pedal brake.

That's very debatable. I'd also recommend a front brake because it gives you a better failsafe than skidding your shoe soles if your back brake breaks, but no more than that. Only having the backpedal brake probably limits your speed, as you should go no faster than you can stop within what is definitely clear, but cruiser bikes are for cruising more than racing anyway.

Wheel straightening is a skilled art, not for the faint hearted and depending on just how bad it is, may well require the rim to be replaced. I'd advise taking to your local bike shop.

Amen. From the pictures, it doesn't look that bad, but nothing replaces having an expert look at it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What a strange bike-does not appoear to have any brakes! Are you training for a role as an entertainer?It reminds me of people who use skateboards on a busy road.Get yiurself a proper bike for a safer future.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The front wheel looks wonky to me, might just be the photo.

Who or what knocked you off, if it was another party's fault, claim on their insurance if you got details.
hamster

Post by hamster »

mumbojumbo wrote:What a strange bike-does not appoear to have any brakes! Are you training for a role as an entertainer?It reminds me of people who use skateboards on a busy road.Get yiurself a proper bike for a safer future.

It has a coaster brake, just like millions of bikes in the Netherlands.
However it's not road-legal without a front one.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Is that in Holland?Had one as a kid but if were that good would be used in tdf.Unsafe in my view.A brake is most important part of cycling safely.
hamster

Post by hamster »

mumbojumbo wrote:Is that in Holland?Had one as a kid but if were that good would be used in tdf.Unsafe in my view.A brake is most important part of cycling safely.

It's a beach cruiser, hardly likely to be bombing down a big TdF mountain - so comparisons are hardly relevant.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mumbojumbo wrote:Is that in Holland?Had one as a kid but if were that good would be used in tdf.Unsafe in my view.A brake is most important part of cycling safely.

It's a rear brake operated through the drive chain and uses the power of your leg muscles to provide the stopping power... so there's no danger of losing your ability to brake if a cable snaps and there's more power going into the rear brake than the force of your grip could ever muster..

..I'm thinking of fitting one to my next bike.....
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

hey guys lighten up, the OP is not asking for advise about his bikes brakes but how to get it sorted.

To the OP, have you got details of the person who knocked you off, because that sounds like an insurance claim to me. How to claim is covered in various threads on here....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

eileithyia wrote:hey guys lighten up, the OP is not asking for advise about his bikes brakes but how to get it sorted.
True, but it would be remiss of us not to point out the legalities.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

For the wheel, take it to a bike shop, they might ba able to true it up, if not they can put a new rim onto the back wheel, assuming no other damage to the bike.

They might be able to fit a front brake as well, if there's a mounting point.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

My money is on this being a 'fire and forget' post.