Clatteringshaws to Glen Trool

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Clatteringshaws to Glen Trool

Post by PAB855 »

How does this route compare with the cycle path on the north side of the Kielder Reservoir? We found that had quite a number of steep ramps which surprised us as the videos we checked beforehand didn't give that impression. There was even a mountain bike rider coming towards us who had to zig zag up a ramp to keep going. Beautiful run though.
None of the climbs were very long .

Any maps etc recommended? Is it NCN 7? If so a Sustrans map might help?

Cheers
Graham

Re: Clatteringshaws to Glen Trool

Post by Graham »

A forum search on Clatteringshaws brings up a number of previous topics. Which may be of interest.
Other searchwords are worth a try, if that lot isn't sufficient..
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks Graham.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

You couldn't make those place-names up. Well, you could, but everyone would think they were a bit far-fetched.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Audax67 wrote:You couldn't make those place-names up. Well, you could, but everyone would think they were a bit far-fetched.

Once, someone did.
John
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I've just been reading a few accounts of first hand experiences on this route. It would appear that the only challenge is a rather steep hill near the top end of L Trool . One writer said 15%, Also there was so much gravel, it became impossible for some riders to keep going. That's the kind of thing I need to check on ,because my wife rides an ICE Adventure with e assist and rear suspension on Big Apple tyres, but it has its limitations when the going gets tough.

As I have discovered, the only way for us to know what's in store for us is if I do a recce on my ebike which is well equipped for most NCN standard routes and some off road work.

I think it's very annoying when we just want a pleasant traffic free route and have been more than disappointed by the number of difficulties created on the routes such as very steep ramps, loose surfaces, tightly spaced bollards, awkward zig zag barriers etc. Many times I have had to push the trike (with my wife on board as she is disabled) out of trouble then go back for my bike. Occasionally, with a smile, we have to break the rules when we see a notice instructing cyclists to dismount! When that happens, it means we remain stationary!

We do appreciate that there are some great cycle paths, but feel there needs to be just a bit more consideration for ALL users, not just fit MTB riders .
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

It's a couple of years since I've ridden it so memory is a bit hazy as to the steepness of the climbs. The first few miles from Clatteringshaws are a single track tarmac road. It then becomes fire road until you have reached Lough Trool. The surface is rough and stony in places with a few fairly long but not overly steep climbs. The last section of track, from Lough Trool up to where it becomes a tarmac road once more, is fairly steep but quite short.

It's a very enjoyable and scenic route but I would suggest, given the nature of the fire road section, more suitable for mtbs. A sturdy hybrid or tourer would cope, with care. It is, indeed, NCN 7. An OS map would be my recommendation.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Many thanks Galloper, that's the most useful information so far. The Landranger map has been ordered.

Cheers