Indian girl cycles 1200km with her old fella on the rack!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SimonCelsa

Indian girl cycles 1200km with her old fella on the rack!!

Post by SimonCelsa »

This is quite a feat, over 100 miles a day, snippet from BBC article recently published:

A 15-year-old girl who cycled 1,200km with her injured father on the back of her bike has been invited to a cycling trial by the Cycling Federation of India.

Impressed by her astonishing effort, the federation invited Jyoti Kumari to take the test. If she passes, she will become a trainee at the state-of-the-art National Cycling Academy.

"We have told her that she will be called to Delhi next month as soon as the lockdown is lifted. All the expenses of her travel, lodging and other will be borne by us," Chairman Onkar Singh told Press Trust of India.

Jyoti began her journey after India went into lockdown, and many workers were left stranded and unable to work. She and her family were threatened with eviction and they had no food, she told BBC Hindi.

With trains cancelled, Jyoti decided to buy a bike with the emergency grants given by the government.

Her father, who was injured in January, sat on the back of the bike and they travelled for seven days from Gurugram to Bihar, in eastern India.

Good luck in the trials, Jyoti!

Makes some of my audax efforts seem rather paltry. Apologies if this has been highlighted in another thread.
reohn2

Re: Indian girl cycles 1200km with her old fella on the rack!!

Post by reohn2 »

:shock: incredible :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Great story.
Any pics?
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks vorpal.
Had issues with first link but not second.
Sweep
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Well done indeed.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think the trial should have been for an Indian Track Team!
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

Wonderful. Amazing how she picked up an old singlespeed antique and set off on that remarkable journey while we all stress out over choosing the right bike, gearing, luggage capabilities, etc etc etc for a fortnight in France! :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

She has turned it down as she wants an education

She has experienced education problems because of her domestic and other duties, and this will now be provided and sponsored.

In India and other third world countries, female education is an issue. I hope she does well. This determination and an education could be a powerful thing
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:She has turned it down as she wants an education

She has experienced education problems because of her domestic and other duties, and this will now be provided and sponsored.

In India and other third world countries, female education is an issue. I hope she does well. This determination and an education could be a powerful thing

Great news that she's being sponsored in her education and I also hope she does well too,though I feel sure with the kind of determination she's shown already she will :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just listened to the BBC podcast on this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08qw4x7
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cunobelin wrote:She has turned it down as she wants an education

India is a very large country. It might be a mistake to generalise. Some of the highest achieving pupils I have taught have been girls of Indian heritage, including schooling in India itself, as well as in the UK. Indian states may very well differ too. Kerala, for example, scores highly in terms of social development, including female education:

https://populationeducation.org/sites/default/files/kerala_a_model_case_for_education.pdf

But yes, in some parts of India access to education for girls is difficult, it seems. Karuna Trust https://www.karuna.org/ do a lot of work on this, particularly amongst Dalit women and girls.