Ginnels, and snickets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
markjohnobrien

Re: Ginnels, and snickets

Post by markjohnobrien »

TrevA wrote:
sjs wrote:
Rod Goodfellow wrote:In Sheffield in 1940s known as a jennel

East Midlands, or at least Derby/Nottingham area, they're gitties.

I beg to disagree, as a born and bred Nottingham lad, they were always known as twitchels.

Hardly: I beg to disagree even more as someone who was originally from Nottinghamshire, and had friends in Nottingham itself, it was always Jitty or Gitty (sic).

I’ve never even heard of twitchels in a Nottinghamshire context.

While twitchel may have been used in a dark, dank, corner of Nottingham that I’m unaware of, as per the example, it certainly wasn’t a universal usage in Nottingham or Nottinghamshire.

Still, thanks for your example as, again, I’ve never heard of it.

I’ve even asked my family (who have lived in Nottinghamshire all of their lives and some worked in Nottingham for 50 years, and they have never heard of the phrase either.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Twitchel is a Nottingham word

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/submi ... 9/twitchel

Perhaps it’s just a Carlton thing, though I asked my wife, who’s a Woodthorpe girl and she said twitchel too, without any prompting from me.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Interesting: thanks for clarifying the specific areas.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mumbling nerd references both twitchel and Jitty, though the correct pronunciation would be jitteh.

https://mumblingnerd.com/2010/06/23/not ... atic-form/
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thanks - had a good chuckle reading the link as my young children who were born and live in Oxfordshire, and don’t have flat vowels obviously, occasionally, and episodically, call each other “Mardy”. When I interrogated them on where they had heard this, they replied “Granny in Nottinghamshire”.

Mardy means sulky or petulant.

Apologies for the thread drift but it fell within the vein of East Midlands or Nottinghamshire dialect.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

TrevA wrote:Twitchel is a Nottingham word

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/submi ... 9/twitchel

Perhaps it’s just a Carlton thing, though I asked my wife, who’s a Woodthorpe girl and she said twitchel too, without any prompting from me.

"My" twitchel" is in Carlton. My gf grew up in Sherwood and twitchel was common currency there.
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

markjohnobrien wrote:
TrevA wrote:
sjs wrote:
East Midlands, or at least Derby/Nottingham area, they're gitties.

I beg to disagree, as a born and bred Nottingham lad, they were always known as twitchels.

Hardly: I beg to disagree even more as someone who was originally from Nottinghamshire, and had friends in Nottingham itself, it was always Jitty or Gitty (sic).

I’ve never even heard of twitchels in a Nottinghamshire context.

While twitchel may have been used in a dark, dank, corner of Nottingham that I’m unaware of, as per the example, it certainly wasn’t a universal usage in Nottingham or Nottinghamshire.

Still, thanks for your example as, again, I’ve never heard of it.

I’ve even asked my family (who have lived in Nottinghamshire all of their lives and some worked in Nottingham for 50 years, and they have never heard of the phrase either.

I've lived in Nottingham for over 70yrs and assure you that the term twitchell was used, as was jitty & alley.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Anyone from Derby? I hail from Ilkeston (about half way between Nottingham and Derby) and it was (40+ years ago!) jitty/gitty there, though I wouldn't say twitchell was completely unknown. Also, as mentioned above, mardy (and ruder variants) and many other local words were in common use.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Very interesting: as while I’m from Nottinghamshire, I went to secondary school in Ilkeston and never heard the phrase twitchel there either!

And what makes it even more interesting is that the school bussed in children from lots of different areas from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire giving a cross sample of local dialect usage.

I’m getting the impression this is a distinctive Nottingham phrase, possibly used more strongly in some areas of Nottingham than others. It might also be generational in its usage.