Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bigjim

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by bigjim »

bigjim wrote:I don't understand why people on here are hoarding. Doesn't seem right to me. Not everybody can afford to do this and I wouldn't want to deprive a poorer family with young children of bread. Just do without. Anyway, during rationing, the nations health improved dramatically.

But if people take a months worth of those items they are depriving a poorer person the chance to buy cheap food. Many people live week to week and if the forecast unemployment comes true it could be even more relevant.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Unlike in April, with others filling their 4x4s and coming back for more, I didnt leave any empty shelves, lots there left. I can only carry so much in a couple of panniers, even though they are big ones
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

mercalia wrote: Lidl Rich Tea - 29p , choc digestive 42p,shortbread fingers 39p. Good for a snack.

Those short bread biscuits are yummy :) , better than four times the price at Sainsburys :?

Saw a program on tv weekly farm something or other, explained at bout barley crop and there is just one week window to make money or not.
Two barley fields local and a week or so ago the barley was not ripe.............it is last weekend but doubt that it will get harvested any time soon.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

mercalia wrote:well unlike in April by others filling their 4x4s and coming back for more, I didnt leave any empty shelves, lots there left. I can only carry so much in a couple of panniers, even though they are big ones

Get a trailer :mrgreen:

We spend just £26 a week each on all food and toiletries..............by buying cheap when on offers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Morrisons and Tesco have already limited Purchases, I did my trolley run last night stocked up on the usual loo rolls and flour :mrgreen:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Morrisons and Tesco have already limited Purchases, I did my trolley run last night stocked up on the usual loo rolls and flour :mrgreen:

no hand wash few loo rolls in Lidls. few baked beans. Any one who is old would be sensible to have stocked up over the summer and from now continue to do so as I for one dont intend frequent places where others are during winter time as now we not only have flu but also covid19.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Some food banks deliver for the vulnerable.I dont think Lidl do though.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Our local Lidl has a box for donations for the local food bank, Aldi don't
pwa

Post by pwa »

All it takes for the shelves to empty is for sensible folk like us to think "I'm not one of those panic buyers but just to be on the safe side I will get a few extra of this and that...". Stay calm, folks, buy as normal and if there are any shortages they will be short lived and we can just put up with a bit of inconvenience for a week or so. Until sanity prevails. We have bought no flour in the last week and won't try to until we feel we want some. And if the shelves are empty when we do, we will make do without.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

A friend still has about 400 loo rolls from the last bout of panic buying, serves him right.

I have 4 bars of soap and 8 tins of tomatoes in the cupboard. Was no 30p plain chocolate in Lidl the other day. I hope the price of petrol drops soon.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

greyingbeard wrote:A friend still has about 400 loo rolls from the last bout of panic buying, serves him right.

I have 4 bars of soap and 8 tins of tomatoes in the cupboard. Was no 30p plain chocolate in Lidl the other day. I hope the price of petrol drops soon.

Thats a fire hazard
there is a special offer over the weekend of their milk choc with hazlenut bits just 29p and also my lidl any way are selling of the Surf liquid 2 for £2.99 ie buy one get one free
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

greyingbeard wrote:A friend still has about 400 loo rolls from the last bout of panic buying, serves him right.

A couple of weeks ago Tesco had bins full of pasta by the checkout, flogging it off at a discount. I assume sales had dropped through the floor whilst everyone used up their stockpiles.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

SO the next panic buy is Lidl Rich Tea biscuits ( 29p) none for the last week. However I found a very nice biscuit I have never tried before - Lidl Chocolate Oaties just 41p pkt. I feed the standard oaties to the squirrel who visits me so never thought of me trying the choc version. So tomorrow I'll get a few pkts in, before they go on the endangered list also
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Aldi rich tea are better! I've got hooked on their cheap dark chocolate bars! Love half a bar every night before bed with a cup of coffee!
Squirrels are still a pain here, they only have to see the end of my air rifle slide out of the bathroom window and they scarper, have caught a couple in the trap though.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The last time I went shopping, which was on Tuesday evening, the shelves in the supermarket were full. The loo roll section had even been expanded to accommodate the larger than normal stock, reducing the space given to kitchen roll. Household staples like eggs, milk and flour and bread were at normal levels. Deliveries to stores are strong. So what could produce panic buying right now? It is people on social media talking about what could become temporarily hard to get, then deciding on the basis of that conversation to go out a buy just a few more of something than normal. That is what this thread is. This is where panic buying starts. Forget about it! Get on with life and stop worrying. If the worst comes to the worst and you can't make flapjack or whatever next Wednesday, life will go on. Show a bit of dignity and refuse to be part of the next panic.