HMRC and Air BNB to collude

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo

HMRC and Air BNB to collude

Post by mumbojumbo »

I understand that HMRC and Air BNB will take steps to catch tax dodgers who rent out property in this "grey market".What will be the result,and do you approve?

SOURCE https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nbzb
rotavator

Re: HMRC and Air BNB to collude

Post by rotavator »

If the property owners/managers are declaring their income, as they should, then they have nothing to worry about.

Incidentally, I am self employed and declare all my income so I have nothing to worry about from HMRC. I don't have any sympathy for self employed tradesmen etc. who don't declare all their income then brag about how little or no income tax they pay.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Such tradesmen can work in a manner where no tax is liable,even as much as £100,000 pa.You have be smart or have a smart adviser.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

rotavator wrote: I don't have any sympathy for self employed tradesmen etc. who don't declare all their income then brag about how little or no income tax they pay.

That perfectly describes a number of my friends and aquaintances. All self employed plumbers/heating engineers, they wear 'fiddling' like a badge of honour. The best bit is that they don't hide it, spouting off in the local merchant's about how much they're not declairing. It's not just 'talk' I know for an absolute fact that they're doing it.

If I was systematically fiddling my way through life I would keep my mouth shut.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I met a mechanic like that. Got called in once but HMRC were too trusting so his story wasn't checked. Money stashed all over to hide it apparently.

An MD of a SME and fellow club mate was pontificating about how easy it was too "avoid" tax when he looked up at the new member the other side of the large bar table. A sudden thought struck his mind and he went quiet. The next thing he said was to ask what the new guy did for a living.

Can you guess what the newbie's answer was? Tax inspector!!! White face matched the white hair of the MD until the HMRC guy explained it wasn't his area and they don't shoot in their own backyard anyway. Needless to say the MD never discussed tax arrangements ever again. I don't think anyone did.

TBF to the new guy, he was a decent guy who, like most police friends, turned a blind eye to things among friends that should be in his remit to act on. Indeed I reckon he was a little bit of a poacher with his own finances. Nobody's fully honest these days I reckon.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

That perfectly describes a number of my friends and aquaintances. All self employed plumbers/heating engineers, they wear 'fiddling' like a badge of honour. The best bit is that they don't hide it, spouting off in the local merchant's about how much they're not declairing. It's not just 'talk' I know for an absolute fact that they're doing it.

If I was systematically fiddling my way through life I would keep my mouth shut.

Have you been tempted to report these "friends"?Be careful-they say you can be judged by"the company you keep".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... If I was systematically fiddling my way through life I would keep my mouth shut. ...

And I fancy the converse often applies.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I met a mechanic like that. Got called in once but HMRC were too trusting so his story wasn't checked. Money stashed all over to hide it apparently.

An MD of a SME and fellow club mate was pontificating about how easy it was too "avoid" tax when he looked up at the new member the other side of the large bar table. A sudden thought struck his mind and he went quiet. The next thing he said was to ask what the new guy did for a living.

Can you guess what the newbie's answer was? Tax inspector!!! White face matched the white hair of the MD until the HMRC guy explained it wasn't his area and they don't shoot in their own backyard anyway. Needless to say the MD never discussed tax arrangements ever again. I don't think anyone did.

TBF to the new guy, he was a decent guy who, like most police friends, turned a blind eye to things among friends that should be in his remit to act on. Indeed I reckon he was a little bit of a poacher with his own finances. Nobody's fully honest these days I reckon.

And that's something many dislike about the police force - they let their friends get away with committing crimes. It's corruption.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

If they are off-duty they become ordinary joes.If I worked as a window-cleaner |I would not feel compelled to go round impersonating George Frisby.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

mumbojumbo wrote:

Have you been tempted to report these "friends"?Be careful-they say you can be judged by"the company you keep".

No I haven't. I have known most of these blokes for circa 50 years. We have grown up together and there is no way that I would report them to anyone....I've never been remotely tempted.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You have an admirable sense of loyalty and giving tacit approval to their absence of social responsibilty eg charging OAPs for sevices and unwittingly depriving these poorer peoplke of a higher material way of life.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Take a walk up Lozells road in Birmingham and see all the people in branded sportswear and new trainers flashing the latest I-phones having never paid a penny of income tax!
As Morrissey in The Smith's wrote in the song 'Still Ill'..........
'I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving, England is mine and it owes me a living'
peetee

Post by peetee »

About 15 years ago I had a conversation with a council-employed plumber who took on private work too. I smelt a rat as we stood in the kitchen of his rented council house and he boasted that the previous year he had earned £80k.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PH

Post by PH »

I haven't got a lot of time for dishonest traders, of any sort. Not because I believe the tax system to be fair, but because of the commercial advantage it gives them over the honest ones.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

peetee wrote:About 15 years ago I had a conversation with a council-employed plumber who took on private work too. I smelt a rat as we stood in the kitchen of his rented council house and he boasted that the previous year he had earned £80k.

The point is all this tax evasion has to be made up somehow and the somehow is PAYE.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker