Find me a jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Find me a jacket

Post by mattsccm »

A fussy mate wants a new jacket. Soft shell sort of thing so it can be worn all day except when slashing down. He isn't a sweater so can deal with such a thing. Needs to be nice and bright with some reflective bits as well. Lower end of the soft shell price range please.
Anyone got any pointers?
PH

Re: Find me a jacket

Post by PH »

I have no experience, yet, but I keep hearing good things about Galibier clothing from those that do. You might have given a better indication of price range "lower end" means different things to different people. These are my idea of mid range and might fit the bill, in Roubaix and Super Roubaix fabric. I've seen the yellow one and it's certainly bright.
https://galibier.cc/product/vujacket/
https://galibier.cc/product/roubaixjersey/
Last edited by PH on 10 Oct 2020, 9:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Decathlon? They seem to have a number of cycling softshells in fluoro yellow with reflective bits (and a couple in less lurid colours), ranging from about £30 to twice that.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ta. I' ll point him that way.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Galibier Mistral Jacket is the best bit of cycling clothing I've bought in a lifetime of cycling. Don't just take my word for it. Read the reviews and believe them.

https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-fou ... er-jacket/
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Aldi were selling a bright yellow, softshell, mesh lined, a few week ago. Hood, front zip flap, velcro cuffs, underarm zips, rear pocket, all for £14:99. Don't know if they've any left.

Edit sorry, it's not soft shell, but normal nylon like finish.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Is Galibier the place where the legendary Mick F got his new mitts from?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Of corse in the good old days it was the name of the best brand of mountain boots.
philg

Post by philg »

iandusud wrote:Galibier Mistral Jacket is the best bit of cycling clothing I've bought in a lifetime of cycling. Don't just take my word for it. Read the reviews and believe them.

https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-fou ... er-jacket/

I have to agree.
I too was looking for a replacement for my venerable Lusso waterproof so after reading the reviews took the plunge.

Found that the XL was a might too snug for my liking, though arguably the right size, so exchanged it for the 2XL which arrived yesterday.
Out for 2 hours this afternoon in drizzle/rain I can confirm it is both waterproof - the water just beads on the surface - and breathable, wore just a L/S vest underneath and it was bone dry at the end.

This could be the Holy Grail of cycling jackets - waterproof, windproof, breathable and warm - not forgetting at £69 a bit of a bargain too
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote:Is Galibier the place where the legendary Mick F got his new mitts from?

Yes, but those were leather.
Sweep
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Mountain Warehouse softshell, I've had mine for 8 years, used as a casual and cycling jacket. Deep side pockets, nothing on the rear, warm, gives some protection to rain, however they are black.
Can you not persuade them they don't need a techno clown outfit for cycling?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Is mine too small? viewtopic.php?f=32&t=141970