GLOVES

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
EFMax

GLOVES

Post by EFMax »

Was out and about on Friday morning (5.30am - 7.30am) had on two pairs of thermal gloves, got back home and my fingers were dead.. burnt and tingled for ages before they warmed back up..

..so does anyone know of a decent set of gloves that really work cos I refuse to have my morning rides in the cold spoilt by the fact that my fingers get numb so quickly.. (there are no circulation issues)

For that matter me toes could do with some help also.. cheers..
JH22

Post by JH22 »

I keep my fingers warm with a pair of Specialized Radiant gloves. I got mine a few years back in a sale but i reckon they normally retail for around £40. I've got an older version which has got a pocket for inserting some of them handwarming heat packs - don't know if that feature is on the version you can currently buy. I've also found them to be waterproof as well. The only problem with them is they can be too warm if it isn't properly cold.

I apologise if you know this already but the other thing about cold hands is to make sure your body is warm. You don't really need fingers in the grand scheme of things so when it really is cold your body will work to keep the bits of you warm that are important to staying alive and won't really care if your fingers and toes drop off. Don't know if you wear a hat/skullcap under helmet, but keeping heat in really does make a difference.
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

I go with running gloves under fleece type ones but make sure the rest of my body is all wrapped up. It's also good to increase your cadence so your pumping blood around your body a bit more.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I go to work and back in the early evening and morning and I was suffering from cold on the finger tips. I was wearing Altura thermal gloves, no good enough.

I went to Tesco's and got the thermal ski gloves for a £5, less with the 2.5% vat off. Hands are lovely and warm now.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

In Lidls last week I got a pair of ski gloves. They were only 3.99 and they are really warm. Don't know how long they will last though.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
UrbanManc

Re: GLOVES

Post by UrbanManc »

EFMax wrote:Was out and about on Friday morning (5.30am - 7.30am) had on two pairs of thermal gloves, got back home and my fingers were dead.. burnt and tingled for ages before they warmed back up..

..so does anyone know of a decent set of gloves that really work cos I refuse to have my morning rides in the cold spoilt by the fact that my fingers get numb so quickly.. (there are no circulation issues)

For that matter me toes could do with some help also.. cheers..

It's cold , very very cold, in fact it's the coldest start to a winter I can remember.

Go to a motorcycle shop (or over the internet) and buy a pair of silk inner gloves, when I rode motorcycles they were the only thing that worked for me.
random37

Post by random37 »

People think I'm a freak for suggesting this, but my favourite thing if it's really cold is a pair of rubber coated cotton work gloves, as available for about 99p a pair at a builder's merchant.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If you can track down a pair of shrunken woolen dachstein mountaineering mittens they are fantastic.

They are mittens so it depends what your shifters/ brakes are like, but they will keep you warm! They aren't actually windproof (unless you get a layer of ice/ snow over them) but you normally need the cooling breeze to stop your hands oveheating!

They've kept me warm and comfy at -25c Ice climbing (-40c, with an goretex outer over them!!). They also cost less than £20. Amazing bit of kit!

Also, don't forget if your gloves are too tight it will restrict circulation, two pairs of gloves may actually be colder than one...

John
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

about a month ago i bought a pair of pearl izumi lobster claws, not cheap (about £40 including p+p) but well warm. they have a full finger internal lining.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I find the Altura Micro Fleece gloves surprisingly effective for their (lowish)cost and low bulk. Seem to be pretty windproof too, but breathe well having no liner.
paulah

Post by paulah »

JH22 wrote:I apologise if you know this already but the other thing about cold hands is to make sure your body is warm. You don't really need fingers in the grand scheme of things so when it really is cold your body will work to keep the bits of you warm that are important to staying alive and won't really care if your fingers and toes drop off. Don't know if you wear a hat/skullcap under helmet, but keeping heat in really does make a difference.

I'll second that - I've got slight circulation problems, but since I got a thermal hat my hands have been a lot warmer
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

The old mountaineers had a saying that if their toes were cold, put a hat on!! Most of your heat is lost through your head so if your cold then your body draws heat away from your extremities and into your core.

I suffer badly from reynauds and gave up years ago looking for gloves that work, instead i wear windproof fleece gloves and a hat and just pedal like crazy to get my blood pumping. It doesn't always stop my hands getting cold, but then when they start getting cold then thats it theres no way of warming them up!
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

I use the plastic gloves from petrol stations, when motor biking. Don't really feel the need when cycling (don't go that fast). But the plastic gloves under my (waterproof/windproof ha ha..) motorbike gloves make a really positive difference.

essentially they are 100% windproof, which is what I find the main problem on the motorbike (having my hands outside in 90 mph windchill). Just ridden London-Edinburgh today, and hands were freezing (winter gloves, heated grips, bar muffs). Picked up some of these plastic gloves, and, while not as warm as toast, had the rest of the ride pain free and able to operate the brakes/clutch.

worth trying. and they are free...
digital kid

Post by digital kid »

I have a pair of Burton snow board gloves. Not the big bulky sking type though. Mine are for pulling tricks in the half pipe and are the best gloves I have ever had and at £50 they are worth every penny. Probably way over spec for cycling but they work a treat in the cold mornings..