Free on road parking in southampton area

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LeicaM4

Free on road parking in southampton area

Post by LeicaM4 »

Hi does anyone know of a safe place to leave vehicle for two to three days in the Southampton and surrounding village areas ? I want to catch the red funnel ferry to IOW later this coming week for bike packing trip over there and ideally would like to leave car safe area and cycle into the docks to catch ferry. I've looked at google maps and Netley and old netley seem to have some areas with no restrictions on parking but any advice gratefully appreciated.
andrew_s

Re: Free on road parking in southampton area

Post by andrew_s »

What I do in that situation is to look on google maps satellite view for an area of older suburbia* where most houses have driveways, but second or third cars are frequent enough that on street parking is relatively common, and where a strange car would just be assumed to be a neighbour.
A quick glance at Southampton would suggest the Shirley area.

* modern suburbia being of a non-connected tree branching layout - cul de sac hell.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Streetview is the answer, and avoid parking directly in front of someone's house of course. Find a street where other cars are parked but you don't have to annoy anyone by taking a prized position in front of someone's home. This street is just one example of that:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8609504 ... 3?hl=en-GB
hamster

Post by hamster »

Ashurst New Forest Station.

Depending on where you intend to go on IoW, you could consider using the Wightlink Lymington-Yarmouth ferry as it avoids the whole business of Southampton city centre.
mjr

Post by mjr »

hamster wrote:Depending on where you intend to go on IoW, you could consider using the Wightlink Lymington-Yarmouth ferry as it avoids the whole business of Southampton city centre.

£11/day parking and no week discounts, though!
Last edited by mjr on 13 Oct 2020, 12:53am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

It was free last time I used it...apologies for duff advice.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Not free but the big shopping centre has good, secure parking that you can use for an extended period. Really handy for Red Funnel too. I seem to remember paying £12 for Friday to Sunday.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd avoid Shirley if I were you a bit rough these days.

Upper Shirley's better area next to the common

Netley would be a good option.

Cheers James