Be Seen lights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mickmitchell

Be Seen lights

Post by Mickmitchell »

I am thinking of buying the brightside lights and the accompanying helmet lights. Has anyone had any experience of these? Are they effective and are they worth having?
whoof

Re: Be Seen lights

Post by whoof »

No experience of them.

Have you seen this?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNSAFEHEL ... met-bundle
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see they do lights for rowing boats. I'm not tempted to have a punt.

https://brightside.bike/riverside-rowing-lights/
PH

Post by PH »

I bought the Topside one a few weeks ago, this one:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... 48707.html
It is what it says, a bright be seen light, the front beam is a large circle, but without much throw. The rear likewise but is IMO too intense, though that's a complaint that can be levelled about many rear lights.
My primary use is using the front as a helmet light for finding door numbers when out deliverooing, so probably not typical! It's fine for that, though maybe something with a more focused beam would have been a better choice. It's very easy to fit to helmet, bars or rack, lightweight and fast charging with a decent runtime (I'm still on the 2nd charge though I've not been recording it's use) I'll probably take it touring, it'll be a useful torch and a back up light.
I'm not over keen on too bright head height lights, I have a couple of tiny flashers, like these:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... 41512.html
IMO they're just as likely to get me noticed, without annoying anyone, though that's a perception rather than evidence based.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

From a different angle - I would have thought that mounting something like this on your hat would potentially cause injury if you had an off and landed in the lamp - for this reason I won't have 'owt mounted on there.

However I did see something interesting on my ride the other day - chap coming the other way had a row of LED's across the front of his helmet which at a glance looked as if they were part of it - so no protrusions. Way to go?

PS IMO the big advantage of a helmet mounted lamp is if you have an off after dark - think about it, bike lying in road lit up ("avoid me") you lying in road not lit up ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'd avoid any helmet attached lights.
Safety of helmet wearer.
And tend to be intensely annoying to other cyclists.
Who might be tempted to thump you.
So back to safety of helmet wearer.
Sweep
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Helmet lights are dangerous to other road users and illegal on the highway AFAIK, don't do it plain and simple.
You might think a light might get you seen, it will rarely make any difference to outcome, it's about whether the other party is bothering to look and see you by their own eyes utilising their headlamps or overhead streetlights.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I like to have low intensity flashing lights on the front and back of my helmet, especially in town.

And flashing turn indicators on my wrists.

Jonathan
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

thirdcrank wrote:I see they do lights for rowing boats. I'm not tempted to have a punt.
:lol:

Very much enjoyed your pun(t), "thirdcrank".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You are welcome.
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

The utility cyclist wrote:Helmet lights are dangerous to other road users and illegal on the highway AFAIK, don't do it plain and simple.

Is that true??? I cannot find a source / reference to that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

GeekDadZoid wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Helmet lights are dangerous to other road users and illegal on the highway AFAIK, don't do it plain and simple.

I suspect that we're entering the evidence-free zone again, but NB the difference between additional lights on helmets once you have the statutory lights fitted and helmet lights without those.

Jonathan
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

jimlews wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I see they do lights for rowing boats. I'm not tempted to have a punt.
:lol:

Very much enjoyed your pun(t), "thirdcrank".

TC never can resist sticking his oar in. :D
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Jdsk wrote:
GeekDadZoid wrote:

I suspect that we're entering the evidence-free zone again, but NB the difference between additional lights on helmets once you have the statutory lights fitted and helmet lights without those.

Jonathan

A light fitted that is above 1500mm is not legal according to the regs, so that's any light fitted to a helmet (barring someone extremely short) being used on a adopted highway, lights fitted to helmets are annoying at best and at worst cause dazzle and temporary effect your ability to see. They are a menace!
But carry on with your silly reply, I hope you're never in the situation of not being able to see properly due to one, I have and it's very unpleasant :twisted:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The utility cyclist wrote:Helmet lights are... illegal on the highway...

The utility cyclist wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
GeekDadZoid wrote:Is that true??? I cannot find a source / reference to that.

A light fitted that is above 1500mm is not legal according to the regs, so that's any light fitted to a helmet (barring someone extremely short) being used on a adopted highway, lights fitted to helmets are annoying at best and at worst cause dazzle and temporary effect your ability to see. They are a menace!
But carry on with your silly reply, I hope you're never in the situation of not being able to see properly due to one, I have and it's very unpleasant

Please could you tell us which regulation is breached by helmet lights worn at any height in addition to the minimum statutory lights.

Thanks

Jonathan