Hull to Zeebrugge ferry route ends

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Hull to Zeebrugge ferry route ends

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Otherwise I think that leaves Newcastle to the north of Hull and Harwich to the south.

Surprisingly Dover is only 40 more mile from Hull than Harwich is (260 v 220).

Most people don't realise how far East Harwich is. One sign that always surprises me is that when exiting the A1 onto A14, it says Harwich 100 miles.

I hadn't. Thanks.

But of course only one of those goes through Kent...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:so its due to covid? why not just mothball it until better times?

P&O's statement only mentions COVID. I don't think that it's the only reason, as above. And I'm expecting that convenient explanation to be widely used by others in the very near future...

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote:
simonhill wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Otherwise I think that leaves Newcastle to the north of Hull and Harwich to the south.

Surprisingly Dover is only 40 more mile from Hull than Harwich is (260 v 220).

Most people don't realise how far East Harwich is. One sign that always surprises me is that when exiting the A1 onto A14, it says Harwich 100 miles.

I hadn't. Thanks.

Jonathan

neither of those roads goes through Kent nor for that matter do they go to Harwich! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

foxyrider wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
simonhill wrote:Surprisingly Dover is only 40 more mile from Hull than Harwich is (260 v 220).

I hadn't. Thanks.

neither of those roads goes through Kent...

The 260 mile journey from Hull to Dover doesn't go through Kent?

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote:
Sweep wrote:And brain must have been dead to have kinda forgotten harwich.

Or denial after experiencing the appalling options when arriving there by bike after the overnight crossing?

Things are improving. The new trains on the Harwich-Cambridge route all have at least six bike spaces. The need to reserve into London or wait an hour for the first unrestricted stopper still sucks and the new stopper trains are late into service, but Netherlands Railways no longer serve the Hook of Holland at all and you have to wait an hour before using the replacement metro, so at least England's doing better than that!

The Cycleways on the Dutch side are better of course: wide, flat and clearly signed. Essex and Suffolk have built a Cycleway from Manningtree station across the border to the B road cycle route towards Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds, but the cycling signs off the boat still try to send you east up a high kerb for a tour of Harwich town when either south (the old station road) or west (dirt bridleway) would be far better for most cyclists. :mad:

Things are improving but it'd be difficult to make them too much worse!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I hadn't. Thanks.

neither of those roads goes through Kent...

The 260 mile journey from Hull to Dover doesn't go through Kent?

Jonathan

you didn't specify what you were referring to :lol:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
skelo

Post by skelo »

Gutted by this news as the owner of a trike that won't fit on a train, Hull is an easy 50 mile ride from home and my only realistic route to the continent. Last summer we did a low-countries round trip Hull-Rotterdam Zeebrge-Hull a perfect week's round-trip. also a shame for northern beer lovers weekend in Brugge!

Having said that the Zeebrugge ferry was a bit old and tired compared to the Rotterdam ferry and nowhere near as busy. I guess it has been in long term decline and doesn't stack up for a replacement/refit. and Covid is the final nail in it's coffin.

I don't see why people think that Covid is an 'excuse'. I suggest that it is just a hard economic reality for this and many industries, which is likely to be compounded by whatever happens on or before 31st December. Sad times............
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Newcastle-Ijmueden is a great route IMHO. Thoroughly enjoyed sailing on the route. Arrived there without a map or idea of where to go? Simply cycled what b looked like the be easiest route and ended up on their main shopping street meat a bookshop selling the numbered route map for cycling and then a really good supermarket on the way to the free car ferry North. Very, very easy.

Going home we weren't impressed by the Dutch ferry terminal n guy who insisted that the cyclists park up right next to the trucks and then after we had some words with him he decided to put us riding onto the ferry in the middle of articulated trucks? Scary enough for me but my then 4.5 year old.... Well it was totally unfriendly to cyclists? Not everywhere in Holland gives a shoot about cyclists, port workers certainly didn't.

At least setting off was nice in Newcastle. The port workers stopped all traffic and walked with us right up the ramp and handed us over to the guys on the boat. Very, cycle friendly. Discord was good like that too and Zeebrugge too. Ijmueden has been the most cycle unfriendly place I've ever been to.

I'm still annoyed with Dover-Oostende route closing. As an 18 year old in the mists of time I got into Oostende in the afternoon and walked around to the hostel then to the sea front for the best moules I've ever had. A large pan placed on the middle of the table with a bowl each. We ate as much as we could and barely made a dent in the huge pan of mussels? They did take the plates of eaten mussels away about 5 times each. Didn't feel like eating till lunchtime next day. Something I liked about Ostend.

I wish the other, old Newcastle routes had stayed open. Didn't they go to Norway and Denmark too once?? We're really lacking direct ferry routes into more Northern European areas IMHO.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Once upon a time there was a busy Felixstowe <-> Zebrugge route which was making a profit.
Closed to the general public and reserved for commercial vehicles, but still running today AFAIK.
It would have been more accessible from the North than Harwich.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote:
The Cycleways on the Dutch side are better of course: wide, flat and clearly signed. Essex and Suffolk have built a Cycleway from Manningtree station across the border to the B road cycle route towards Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds, but the cycling signs off the boat still try to send you east up a high kerb for a tour of Harwich town when either south (the old station road) or west (dirt bridleway) would be far better for most cyclists. :mad:

Things are improving but it'd be difficult to make them too much worse!

Indeed. Getting off the ferry at Harwich is such a depressing experience after cycling in the Netherlands or even Germany . I ignore the signs and head up Station Road but I'm heading towards Wivenhoe, Colchester, Braintree. The problem with the ferry arrival time is by the time you hit the B1414 and the NCN2 you also hit the school run and its really not pleasant at all, its actually a fast road in places with blind bends.

Compared to this when you turn left out of the port at The Hook. Its starts brilliantly then gets even better.

DSCF2265.JPG

DSCF2266.JPG
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

ossie wrote:
... Getting off the ferry at Harwich is such a depressing experience after cycling in the Netherlands or even Germany . I ignore the signs and head up Station Road but I'm heading towards Wivenhoe, Colchester, Braintree. The problem with the ferry arrival time is by the time you hit the B1414 and the NCN2 you also hit the school run and its really not pleasant at all, its actually a fast road in places with blind bends.

Compared to this when you turn left out of the port at The Hook. Its starts brilliantly then gets even better...

Aye. Perhaps we in the Hull area have been spoiled, but we did a trial run during lockdown and my family and I were able to get to the cycle path that goes directly to the docks. The children will be six and ten next summer and - Covid permitting - we were hoping to cycle from our doorstep to the ferry ramp on our way to Belgium. Hey ho :(
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We did that last year. We got dropped off by the taxi minibus (replacement for broken down van) at the ferry port. We needed food and to kill time so cycled into Hull proper and back. A very easy cycle path most of the way. We thought it was very good for the UK considering.

PS zebrugge into brugges wasn't any better I thought. Although Belgium is a great cycling country especially Ardennes. Our 6.5 year old really enjoyed it despite some very long days in the heat.

Key points include that path through the water which had just opened. The ride through the trees was too busy and right out of the way. Meant we had to stay at a not very nice campsite with a long day and not very interesting ride to get back on the main route goals.

If you can get to Belgium any other way I'd get the train to nearer Ardennes personally. Worth a touring holiday with the family for sure.
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

Can I ask....Next summer what ferry routes will take bicycles to mainland europe from Hull ?....Or near to Hull......I hope to take one cycling over from Manchester on the tpt. I am wondering if there will be any at all.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One earnestly hopes that Kingston upon Hull - Rotterdam still sails, or one could try for a freight ship from Immingham

I did read a report about crossing the Atlantic on a freight ship, the CO2 for one passenger was negligible, but one has to be flexible. The vessel left three days EARLIER than planned :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

northerncyclist wrote:Can I ask....Next summer what ferry routes will take bicycles to mainland europe from Hull ?....Or near to Hull......I hope to take one cycling over from Manchester on the tpt. I am wondering if there will be any at all.

Its only the Zeebrugge route that is stopping, for now at least, the Rotterdam route continues.

For anyone wanted to get to Belgium, the coast road south from Europoort could get you to the Belgian border in a concerted days' ride or ride along to Rotterdam for a train to Antwerp so its not impossible, it just needs a bit more thought unless you want to go to Dover :?