Flu 'jab'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Phileas

Re: Flu 'jab'

Post by Phileas »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Phileas wrote:@TUC
Your quote seems to be about germ transmission during health care so I’m not sure it’s relevant.
The CDC link I posted was specifically related to influenza not COVID-19
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

So you don't think the same is for health care as it is for general populace, :? Just WOW!

Don’t be silly. Read the quote.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Had mine yesterday. Done so for since I think age 60 (because of knackered lungs), so 12 years without flu (having had the real thing about 30 years ago I do not confuse cold with flu) is good enough for me. And yes I know that that correlation is not proof of efficacy. But worth the effort of 30 minutes of my time to go to local pharmacist.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

One thing's for sure - folks as have had 'flu sure remember it - there's no getting mixed up with The Common Cold when you get The Real Deal! I had H1N1 back in 2009/10... makes me laugh when I think how tiddly / simple / tough viruses are. And we have the timerity to think we're a superior animal! Hahaha. Long after we're gone and forgotten, they'll still be around, doing their thing. No need for Beethoven, or Einstein, or Rembrandt...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The utility cyclist wrote:Using hate speech calling people 'anti vaxxer' is not just insulting but typically ignorant from narrow minded people, totally failing to grasp that people want healthy people, but not at the expense of other far wider reaching ailments that has shown to have a bigger detriment on populations and at great personal costs as well as the economic costs to societies that in certain cases the money would be better spent elsewhere as a prevention as opposed to cure (typical Western medicine thinking!)

Not once have I said I'm against ALL vaccinations, so making up stuff that hasn't been said comes up all the time, again, narrow minded thinking.
As for comparing flu to polio and smallpox :lol: , eradication of smallpox was relatively easy due to several factors that aren't apparent with influenza, polio is still around mostly BECAUSE OF THE VACCINE!
For the uninitiated the trivalent Polio vaccine brings about Polio, yes, outbreaks are caused by one of the vaccine types! Mark pallansch of CDC a partner with WHO admits (By using mOPV2), "We have now created more new emergences of the virus than we have stopped,"

And be honest, massive improvements in hygiene/improvements in sanitation, clean running water etc have been by far the biggest reason for reductions in viruses, additionally better health overall, hence washing hands is the singularly biggest thing you can do to stop the spread of influenza and suchlike as well as some basic bits of common sense which people should have been doing since year dot.

And as an aside, the Polio vaccine doesn't contain aluminium as an adjuvant.

Constant immunisations and testing is not the solution to lower the effects of influenza/viruses and the last half a century and more has proven this to be true.

You seem to think that my comments were aimed exclusively at you - in all online health debates there are those of dubious intent (whom I put under the the term troll). I don't agree with your views - I do accept that you hold them sincerely.
I don't consider the term antivaxxer to be hate speech - it just sums up a point of view.
Most countries have eliminated polio - there are a couple where the vaccination programme operates under threat of violence and they still have polio.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

simonineaston wrote:So, it was like this: 10:15 Saturday, tiny 'scratch', no symptoms 'till mid-afternoon, when left arm began to feel slightly stiff. By evening, my left arm was aching a lot, but only when I moved it. By Sunday morning, ache nearly all gone. No other symptoms. Am now looking forward to a flu-free winter...

I've had it every year for the last 10 years. Sometimes no effect at all, sometimes a bit of stifness in the upper arm next day. Why different each time? - 'cos the vaccine changes each year with different strains of flu going around.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

hoho - all we gotta do now is dodge those pesky coronaviruses! By Xmas we'll all be in 'ospital or dead - can even get the blinkin' thing twice!! Settle in cosily tonight and watch Contagion ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

simonineaston wrote:hoho - all we gotta do now is dodge those pesky coronaviruses! By Xmas we'll all be in 'ospital or dead - can even get the blinkin' thing twice!! Settle in cosily tonight and watch Contagion ;-)

I am indeed settling my affairs in expectation of your second sentence proving correct in my case, but doubt the "all".
rjb

Flu jab invitation

Post by rjb »

Me and Mrs Rjb have both had individual letters inviting us to book a flu jab. Enclosed was another letter explaining the cost of sending such letters. If they had checked their records they would have seen we both had our flu jabs 6 weeks ago. :(
What a waste of money. Has anyone else had these. ?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Re: Flu jab invitation

Post by Jdsk »

Who was the letter from? And where and by whom had you been vaccinated?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

:roll: Not exactly, but the amount of paper work that came before a recent investigation was approaching telephone directory volume. Letters, booklets explaining what it was, reminders, separate instructions on how to deal with C19 arrangmentss (fair enough). Afterwards, I received 2 identical letters, describing the results, which arrived about a week apart...
S
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I got a phone message today inviting me for one. First time they've ever offered it to me.

TBH I'm not sure I can be bothered walking over, never had flu that I know of, just a few bad colds.
Now I'm working from home and avoiding the great unwashed it seems even less likely I'll catch it and if I do then the docs surgery will be the place.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

djnotts wrote:
simonineaston wrote:hoho - all we gotta do now is dodge those pesky coronaviruses! By Xmas we'll all be in 'ospital or dead - can even get the blinkin' thing twice!! Settle in cosily tonight and watch Contagion ;-)

I am indeed settling my affairs in expectation of your second sentence proving correct in my case, but doubt the "all".

Actually, far more interesting than Contagion, but not as much fun, is this book. In chapter after chapter, I read over & over again, how similar the reaction to the so-called Spanish flu was to our reactions, this time around. At under a fiver for the Kindle jobbie, it's a bargain. And for etymology nerds such as myself, you get to learn why it was called Spanish and why it's named influenza - fabulous! I learn too that governments faced exactly the same issues, with respect to the conundrum of dealing with a suspicious and unruly public - truly, we do not appear to be able to learn from the past. We're OK, just, at it if the thing we have to recall is within a generation, but anything a hundred years old is waaay beyond our ability to learn from... what a pity!
Last edited by simonineaston on 24 Nov 2020, 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.
S
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

simonineaston wrote:truly, we do not appear to be able to learn from the past. We OK, just, at it if the thing we have to recall is within a generation, but anything a hundred years old is waaay beyond our ability to learn from... what a pity!

The psychology of what's happening is pretty interesting.
Our desire to feel in control when things are outside of our control feed conspiracy theories, normally it wouldn't matter that much but the internet is an amplifier for such theories.

Poor use of science hasn't helped either. Folk cherry picking information from papers that haven't been peer reviewed and presenting them as facts along with the odd scientist who wants to sidestep the whole peer review process and present their pet theories directly to a public eager to have their personal views justified.

I don't see how it's ever going to get better either, things are reaching fever pitch out there such that even the most outrageous stuff is passed around by people with perfectly straight faces as "the truth that *they* don't want you to know".
rjb

Post by rjb »

Jdsk wrote:Who was the letter from? And where and by whom had you been vaccinated?

Thanks

Jonathan

Free flu jab for oldies at our NHS gp surgery administered by NHS nurses, and later invitation letter from NHS England and NHS Improvement some 5 weeks or more later. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rjb on 23 Nov 2020, 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan