Be Seen lights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
richardfm

Re: Be Seen lights

Post by richardfm »

Jdsk wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Helmet lights are... illegal on the highway...

The utility cyclist wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I suspect that we're entering the evidence-free zone again, but NB the difference between additional lights on helmets once you have the statutory lights fitted and helmet lights without those.

A light fitted that is above 1500mm is not legal according to the regs, so that's any light fitted to a helmet (barring someone extremely short) being used on a adopted highway, lights fitted to helmets are annoying at best and at worst cause dazzle and temporary effect your ability to see. They are a menace!
But carry on with your silly reply, I hope you're never in the situation of not being able to see properly due to one, I have and it's very unpleasant

Please could you tell us which regulation is breached by helmet lights worn at any height in addition to the minimum statutory lights.

Thanks

Jonathan

This article is ambiguous https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations
Front Lamp
At least one lamp is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside (the right-hand side of the bike), up to 1500mm from the ground
This implies you could have a helmet light as an additional light, but later on
Note: It might sound obvious, but the light needs to be fixed to the bicycle; there is a fashion for helmet lights which can be pointed in the direction you're looking which might be useful but is not legal. A single helmet mounted light doesn't conform - and if you're an adult, then the chances are that your helmet light will be more than the 1500mm height[bold] limit[/bold] from the ground anyway.

This could be interpreted as a limit for any light or as a limit for the statutory light, making a helmet light legal if it is an addition to a light fixed to the bike below 1500mm.
The article has links to the regulations if you want to read more.
Richard M
Cardiff
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pretty sure they aren't sufficient to comply with the RVLR, but that they aren't inherently affected by the RVLR (except in the don't dazzle other road users sense) since they are not lights on a vehicle, but on a person.

Helmets with integrated lights are a reasonable measure, but I wouldn't want to mount anything either heavy or securely attached onto what is meant to be a protective device.
The magic hats our kids wear have a rear light integrated into the fit adjustment dial at the rear.

A row of LEDs at the front could easily provide enough light to see the cockpit, and to be seen from a way off, without dazzling anyone, or adversely affecting night vision (assuming you don't wear all white/reflective material on arms and gloves).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I assumed this thread was product placement.