KMC v Sram chains?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

KMC v Sram chains?

Post by Sweep »

Do folk have any views on their relative merits?

I have long used SRAM chains after long ago being freed from the damn Shimano joining pin nonsense.

I started a thread recently on an sram 850 8 speed chain which seemed to have worn very quickly (though I don't keep records of mileage). I replaced that with a KMC.

And then very recently had an sram 9 speed chain which also seemed to have worn quickly - again I didn't have records but I have several bikes to share usage across and haven't been putting in mega miles of late.

That wouid have been an sram 951 or 971.

I replaced that with a KMC as well - an X9.93.

May have been my imagination (I am not overly mechanically blessed) but it somehow felt more convincing even as I handled it.

So do folks with experience of both brands have any views?

I would also be interested in recommendations for 8 and 9 speed KMC chains - I am inclined to buy stuff at the bottom end of the ranges, being wary of attempts to sell me up with superfluous finishes etc, but am also aware that sometimes the rock-bottom units have issues - I always avoided the sram 830 for instance.

Looking at the box of my KMC X9.93 it says "extremely durable" but know nothing about why this might be.

By the by the box also says "extra stretch proof", which I think is guaranteed to get folks going on the stretch thing :)

Am not interested in any chains above 9 speed.

Oh - KMC chains labelled 7 speed are just fine and dandy with 8 speed stuff aren't they?
Sweep
chris_suffolk

Re: KMC v Sram chains?

Post by chris_suffolk »

No experience with SRAM, but all the KMC 9 speed chains I've had over a few years have lasted 2-3x longer (at least) than the Shimano one I had initially.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC KMC have made 7s chains with ~7.3mm and ~7.1mm pin lengths. The latter will work with 8s, but the former won't so well.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

KMCs recommended :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I use SRAM chains still using up my old stock PC41 and PC51 ones. They seem to last well. I have 3 or so the 850s so cant say whether the quality has gone down.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

After using Sram chains(8 and 9sp)for many years I decided to try KMC after being impressed be the longevity and slick changing on a new bike that came with 10sp drivtrain.
I've found the 8 and 9sp KMC (silver/grey)chains to last at least as long and gear changing as good if not better than Sram 971.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I also went from SRAM to kmc. The X-93 has always been fine and is decent value so it's what I use.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

The above seems largly to talk about the best 11 & 12 speed chains and saying the Shimano 11 & 12 speed are better than Shimano 8 speed. So not really addressing the OP question.
mig

Post by mig »

meh keep it as clean as you can within reason and treat it as a consumable. don't believe the hype

i use these

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/can-buy-ultra-efficient-chain-used-britains-olympic-team-not-cheap-400017

:D

oh and don't use wippermann. they're bobbins! :lol:
hamish

Post by hamish »

Although ebike based, this is quite interesting, especially as ebikes must be harder on chains than non ebikes;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a7iBvQhiozo
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

mig wrote: :D

You're not from Manchester by any chance? :)
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

SRAM PG830 was the only chain I've had with really poor durability, wore so much in less than 1000 miles that I wasn't able to put another new chain on the transmission without it jumping.

Since then have used SRAM PG850/870 and KMC X8/X9 chains and not really noticed a difference. Not used Shimano chains for years due to the silly joining pin.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

KMC every time now, so much smoother running and easier changing than SRAM even though the KMC 'power-link' is a little more prone to open uninvited than the SRAM version
mig

Post by mig »

De Sisti wrote:
mig wrote: :D

You're not from Manchester by any chance? :)

guilty as charged m'lud. take me to the cells.