First e-scooter prang

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

Re: First e-scooter prang

Post by simonhill »

Kwackers, that's some borrow - 8 month and counting.

It's fortunate that the Old Bill generally turn a blind eye to these. Trouble is they don't always and it can be a big shock. A relative of mine got stopped in London. Scooter confiscated and cost £180 to get out of pound. Plus fine of £100 and 3 points on licence. Report in press yesterday of someone failing breathalyser on one - that's a potential drink drive conviction.

The whole thing is a mess with so many mixed messages.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

simonhill wrote:Kwackers, that's some borrow - 8 month and counting.

It was only meant to be for a few weeks why he was on his hols, then we started WFH, then lockdown and since he uses it for commuting...
I haven't asked him if he knows I've still got it - I might just keep my fingers crossed... :lol:

simonhill wrote:It's fortunate that the Old Bill generally turn a blind eye to these. Trouble is they don't always and it can be a big shock. A relative of mine got stopped in London. Scooter confiscated and cost £180 to get out of pound. Plus fine of £100 and 3 points on licence. Report in press yesterday of someone failing breathalyser on one - that's a potential drink drive conviction.

The whole thing is a mess with so many mixed messages.

I agree.
They should either simply legalise it instead of fannying around the edges or come all out and say that they're not going to.

Some folk will be using them assuming they'll get legalised, some just won't care either way.
I also think the trial schemes emboldened quite a few people, there does seem to be an explosion of them locally since.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Their continued illegality is a triumph of bureaucracy over reality. Also it's seeking to create commercial opportunity (legalised hire schemes) by exploiting the lack of legal background.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Their continued illegality is a triumph of bureaucracy over reality. Also it's seeking to create commercial opportunity (legalised hire schemes) by exploiting the lack of legal background.

There are a few areas where there are / have been trials taking place.

Buckinghamshire (Aylesbury and High Wycombe)
Cambridge
Cheshire West and Chester (Chester)
Copeland (Whitehaven)
Derby
Essex (Basildon)
Kent (Canterbury)
Liverpool
Milton Keynes
Northamptonshire (Kettering and Northampton)
North Lincolnshire (Scunthorpe)
Norwich
Nottingham
Redditch
Salford
Slough
Solent (Isle of Wight)
Somerset West (Taunton)
South Somerset (Yeovil)
Staffordshire (Stafford and Newcastle-Under-Lyme)
Tees Valley (Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and Stockton-on-Tees)
West Midlands (Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton, Walsall, Sandwell, Solihull and Kenilworth)
West of England Combined Authority (Bristol and Bath)
York

Using them anywhere else, which isn’t on private land is still illegal at present. It hasn’t deterred many people in my locale from using them though
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It won't deter anyone anywhere. Especially not when the hire version costs £12 an hour! However, the new £35 a month subscription service looks like it might actually be sustainable transport.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bmblbzzz wrote:It won't deter anyone anywhere. Especially not when the hire version costs £12 an hour! However, the new £35 a month subscription service looks like it might actually be sustainable transport.

I haven't been to Liverpool since the trial started so no idea whether folk are using them or not.
£12 an hour is daylight robbery though, chuck in the license requirement and I'd be surprised if they're being used in any great numbers. Might all change come summer if the tourists come back, the hire bike scheme gets hammered in the summer with everyone riding up and down the waterfront.

I'm now officially an illegal scooter owner since I've bought the scooter I've been borrowing off the lad I'd borrowed it off.
There seems little chance we'll be back in the office anytime soon so he wasn't in a rush for it back.

Been using it to go to the shop, post office etc. So much quicker than mucking about getting my bike out and you can just pick it up and carry it in too! Don't have to worry about it getting stolen.
(I did get a dirty look from some old codger who was out walking his dog, I gave him a smile and the 'nod of acknowledgement' to disarm him. OTOH the youngsters I pass seem to think it's "cool").
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Dunno about Liverpool but they seem pretty popular round here. Mostly with students and similar. Liverpool's probably similar (unless Merseyside's flatness acts as a lack of incentive?)