Bike Stuff at Aldi - Ongoing Updates

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mcshroom

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi This Sunday 27/9/20

Post by mcshroom »

martin biggs wrote:
mjr wrote:The description for the lights say ". Lights to be used in line with road vehicle lighting regulations" so I guess they're not K marked and so not sufficient to make you legally lit on their own. Shame. I wish they'd take a page from lidl's book.

I have a couple of sets of these lights and they are very good and well worth it in my opinion.

Downside if any i am not sure if you can get replacement rubber straps for the front one

I found that a lezyne Y9 strap works as a direct replacement for the Aldi front light strap. I have one fitted to mine and it's much more solid than the Aldi strap.
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/10037 ... black.aspx

The light actually looks very like a Lezyne Micro drive 600xl: -
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

mcshroom wrote:
martin biggs wrote:
mjr wrote:The description for the lights say ". Lights to be used in line with road vehicle lighting regulations" so I guess they're not K marked and so not sufficient to make you legally lit on their own. Shame. I wish they'd take a page from lidl's book.

I have a couple of sets of these lights and they are very good and well worth it in my opinion.

Downside if any i am not sure if you can get replacement rubber straps for the front one

I found that a lezyne Y9 strap works as a direct replacement for the Aldi front light strap. I have one fitted to mine and it's much more solid than the Aldi strap.
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/10037 ... black.aspx

The light actually looks very like a Lezyne Micro drive 600xl: -

Good tip - thanks. I find the Aldi front light very useful as an emergency backup to my main front light for night rides - not that the main light has ever failed me yet, but I'm paranoid after past sudden-darkness experiences with a MagicShine, and it's been lent several times to fellow riders who forgot to charge their own lights up properly. It's long-lasting and just bright enough to make your way home on country lanes so long as you keep the speed down.

However the strap is literally a weak point - one "rung" of the ladder has already torn through. While it might seem a bit perverse to pay more half the price of the light just to get a new strap, I hate chucking things away when they work fine. And I'm guessing the Lezyne strap will last longer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AndyK wrote:
mcshroom wrote:
martin biggs wrote:I have a couple of sets of these lights and they are very good and well worth it in my opinion.

I found that a lezyne Y9 strap works as a direct replacement for the Aldi front light strap. [...]

[...] While it might seem a bit perverse to pay more half the price of the light just to get a new strap, I hate chucking things away when they work fine. And I'm guessing the Lezyne strap will last longer.

Unless the material is different or materials science has changed, I don't see why it should last longer.

I've an emergency light which I think used a similar mount, but I mostly use it with one of those silicone 8 straps which are available for about £1 each on ebay. You sandwich the middle of the 8 between the light and bars with one hand, then pull the front of the 8 under the bars and up and over the back of the 8 and back of the light, then the opposite with the back, then wiggle to align. They don't last forever and sometimes you might drop one (the black ones can be hard to spot), but they're £1.

So can any of you purchasers confirm what markings the Aldi lights have on their cases or lenses, please?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

The Aldi strap is a softer rubber, and has a ribbed section along the middle of the strap that actually makes it thinner around the holes. The holes are also straight edged.

The Lezyne strap is a stiffer rubber, and has kidney shaped holes.

The Aldi one feels weaker, and does snap to the side from the mounting hole if you do it up too tight. The Leyzyne one feels stronger, and I haven't broken it.

On the Aldi light, I can only find the "CREE" logo, A CE marking, two WEEE symbols (one with and one without the box underneath), and the number 4961 inside a circle. The bung is marked "USB", and inside the bung there's another WEEE symbol and another CE marking, these are embossed.

The new light has "bikemate" printed on the right hand side
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

simonineaston wrote:
GranvilleThomas wrote:I purchased the Aldi light set last year and I think they are very good quality and value for money.
Thanks for the super review, GT - there's a future for you in the cycle-equipment-testing-and-reviewing profession! :wink:

Well don't forget, if you can put in a good word for me, make sure any review samples are sent to the usual address :lol:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

More bike stuff in Aldi from this Thursday 21/ 9/2023.

Nothing exceptional, rain jackets, cheap lights, bike work stand, lubes, multitool, etc.

Sadly no seat-pack with LEDs - bought one in a sell off and have found the lights very useful when caught out.

There is an electric bike horn for £6.99.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Gt85 400ml for £2.69 is a bargain. :wink:
Don't all rush down for it I need a couple. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bmblbzzz

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi this Thursday 21/9/23

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Clearer title?
Bmblbzzz

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi this Thursday 21/9/23

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hmm, no good. It still appears in the board list under the outdated title.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

IIUC the Original Poster can edit the thread Subject in the Original Post.

Jonathan
simonhill

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi - Ongoing Updates

Post by simonhill »

.........but you still found it.

I didn't realise it was my original post as there had been other long running ones. I normally like new discreet posts, but these often get merged, so I stuck the info on this one.

Title amended.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

:D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

:D :D :D for the amended title.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

simonhill wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 6:03pm More bike stuff in Aldi from this Thursday 21/ 9/2023.

Nothing exceptional, rain jackets, cheap lights, bike work stand, lubes, multitool, etc.
If the bike work stand is the EUFAB one with the two long legs (not the tripod one), I can recommend it. I bought it online from Aldi in Germany. I have used it several times and found it good quality and stable. It packs away compactly - look at the picture on the box to see how. The tool tray fits in an inaccessible position but so what. Smear the central tube with talc so the strut slider runs freely.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.