FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by peetee »

mercalia wrote:I was given last week end the set of Marvel Avenger films ( Assembly, Ultron, Infinity Wars , Endgame) and was expecting a great view. What a let down, the relentless action sequences did my head in ( does any one really folow the details of them) and the characters I couldnt really care less about. Thanos should have won and did all the Avengers in is my take, would have done us all a favour

Yep. I used to like the Marvel franchise. Apart from the entertainment it was one of the things I could actually enjoy watching and discuss with mutual interest with my teenage son.
I think the whole concept has fallen foul of it’s own success and it’s need to be bigger, better and more showy than its last creation. The action scenes have now got so frenetic they have become an unwatchable mess of 2nd rate CGI.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pwa

Post by pwa »

peetee wrote:
mercalia wrote:I was given last week end the set of Marvel Avenger films ( Assembly, Ultron, Infinity Wars , Endgame) and was expecting a great view. What a let down, the relentless action sequences did my head in ( does any one really folow the details of them) and the characters I couldnt really care less about. Thanos should have won and did all the Avengers in is my take, would have done us all a favour

Yep. I used to like the Marvel franchise. Apart from the entertainment it was one of the things I could actually enjoy watching and discuss with mutual interest with my teenage son.
I think the whole concept has fallen foul of it’s own success and it’s need to be bigger, better and more showy than its last creation. The action scenes have now got so frenetic they have become an unwatchable mess of 2nd rate CGI.

I felt the same way about Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" trilogy. The book is a fairly compact story with a lot of charm. A kids' book, of course, but a good one. The films should have been one instead of three, and the "action" in the films was farcically overblown. In the book the action is realistic, or as realistic as you can get with elves, dwarves and dragons inhabiting the place. The characters move through the landscape like you and I would, slipping in mud, tripping up and catching their clothes on brambles. In the films it becomes like one of those daft martial arts things on steroids. And the seemingly endless noisy orchestral racket! I just felt tired and weary waiting for it to end.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:
peetee wrote:

I felt the same way about Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" trilogy. The book is a fairly compact story with a lot of charm. A kids' book, of course, but a good one. The films should have been one instead of three, and the "action" in the films was farcically overblown. In the book the action is realistic, or as realistic as you can get with elves, dwarves and dragons inhabiting the place. The characters move through the landscape like you and I would, slipping in mud, tripping up and catching their clothes on brambles. In the films it becomes like one of those daft martial arts things on steroids. And the seemingly endless noisy orchestral racket! I just felt tired and weary waiting for it to end.

so true of many action films, they seem to deliver knockout punches time and time again and the other side just gets up and does the same. When did all this fantasy start?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:so true of many action films, they seem to deliver knockout punches time and time again and the other side just gets up and does the same. When did all this fantasy start?

With CGI.
It's just reached an insane level of silliness now, drives me daft.

Watched "Jo Jo Rabbit" the other day which I thought was excellent.

Also re-watched "Spaced", "Green Wing" and "Black Books" - still excellent especially Green Wing.

I notice someone has redone "Utopia" which originally was a Ch4(?) series, off the wall and excellent imo.
Not sure if I can bring myself to watch a remake but perhaps I should give it a go...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

BTW - what exactly counts as a film, these days? I mean, The Wire, or to a lesser extent, The Sopranos, was much more gripping than the average feature film, due to the scope, breadth, etc etc, allowing far more access to entertaining plot and character development. Now, after the advent of the 'mini-series', feature-length films seem almost fleeting - insubstantial... I enjoyed Better Call Saul, too. And The Night Manager. And boy did I learn a lot of history watching Band Of Brothers - and to a lesser extent, Generation X.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Quality CGI can make for immensely rewarding viewing. Gravity was a stunning movie and I wish I had seen it on the big screen.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:so true of many action films, they seem to deliver knockout punches time and time again and the other side just gets up and does the same. When did all this fantasy start?

With CGI.
It's just reached an insane level of silliness now, drives me daft.

Watched "Jo Jo Rabbit" the other day which I thought was excellent.

Also re-watched "Spaced", "Green Wing" and "Black Books" - still excellent especially Green Wing.

I notice someone has redone "Utopia" which originally was a Ch4(?) series, off the wall and excellent imo.
Not sure if I can bring myself to watch a remake but perhaps I should give it a go...

I just finished watching the remake of Utopia that as you would expect from a yank production is probably more polished. I had never seen the original UK version but it prompted me to get the DVDs from CEX - not many copies around I think for sale any way.( £2 season 1 £3.50 season 2) I have yet to watch it. The new version has it when the bodies drop they stay dropped and there are lots of them, even from the start. Worth a look.

[youtube]dFSKBllxRIw[/youtube]

Good for those of a conspiracy theory cast of mind with the current covid problem. maybe you dont want to have the vaccine when they bring it out........

Another good series is The Boys about money and super heroes, from Amazon. There are 2 seasons at the moment.

[youtube]06rueu_fh30[/youtube]
not for those of a polite disposition. Probably one of the best Adult shows around.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I watched Captain Marvel - another one of those Marvel films related to the Avenger series. This one is far better than the Ultron.Infinity.endgame films and has some enjoyable moments including the chief alien with an australian accent. Brie Larson herself as Captain Marvel has some nice amusing expressions. SO an enjoyable film to watch with less of the nonsense of the Avenger films. I dont know how old a character Captain Marvel is but she seems to be Marvel's version of DC's Supergirl or Wonder Woman
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

For non SF TV, I watched "Queens Gambit" on Netflix the other day.

I'd highly recommend it.
Good acting, great period (50's/60's American) stuff and compelling in a way you wouldn't expect a story involving chess to be.
(Based on a 1983 novel of the same name)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My new partner and I have been watching several Cohen Brothers movies. Oh Brother, Fargo, no Country for old men etc. She really loved Oh Brother and the old timey country music. We are about to watch the Jeff Bridges version of True Grit. Yesterday we watched the original version of Stagecoach. On the series front we are watching Breaking Bad, 2nd time for me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Me and my mates what used to go to pubs... argue furiously over Breaking Bad v Better Call Saul - seems there's no overlap, with them's as is liking BB having no time for BCS, and vice versa - how odd!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
pwa wrote:
peetee wrote:

You felt tired............I nearly went to sleep :P
Waste of time money and pure...................

What is this obsession with childrens stuff which excites adults on news and chat shows :?

Then there are the awards when a very small elite part of population get to watch it for free, and we have yet to watch it..

BBC's "His Dark...........blah...." :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
pwa wrote:
peetee wrote:

You felt tired............I nearly went to sleep :P
Waste of time money and pure...................

What is this obsession with childrens stuff which excites adults on news and chat shows :?

Then there are the awards when a very small elite part of population get to watch it for free, and we have yet to watch it..

BBC's "His Dark...........blah...." :roll:

The book (1937) is a charming classic. The film is not. If you have never read the book, it is not like the film and you may like it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A kids' book, of course, but a good one.

Nothing wrong with kids' books.
There are good and bad books targeting all ages.

Particularly in terms of producing a film what matters is the plot, and the characters, not the original target audience.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

simonineaston wrote:Me and my mates what used to go to pubs... argue furiously over Breaking Bad v Better Call Saul - seems there's no overlap, with them's as is liking BB having no time for BCS, and vice versa - how odd!

I like both.

Overall I do think Better Call Saul is more consistent, Breaking Bad had some brilliant episodes but it also had some dross (particularly towards the end - all that stuff with Jessie was particularly tedious).