Arthur Caygill 631 touring framset

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newtotouring

Arthur Caygill 631 touring framset

Post by newtotouring »

Hello,

Does anyone have experience of building a tourer using this frameset?

https://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/p ... 4MtXdBKiXc

Is this the same frame as the Ghyllside touring frameset?

If you've built one of these bikes, how does it ride and would you recommend it.

I've lots of parts to build into a suitable, affordable light to medium touring bike and am looking for a frameset other than the Spa Cycles ones.

Any information would be greatly received.

Many thanks.
mumbojumbo

Re: Arthur Caygill 631 touring framset

Post by mumbojumbo »

These may be bought in and Caygill put their decals on.Not same as a custom built frame.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it superficially looks a lot like the touring version of these frames

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140039

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Bike shops have been selling factory frames as "special" with their own labels on for decades
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Caygills definitely build their own steel frames, though of course l don't know if they buy some in - I'd ask them!
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Does it matter > does the frame fit you ?
pwa

Post by pwa »

At that price I think there is no way it is actually made in the UK, but it may be unique to Caygill in the design details. Without geometry details it looks alright as far as I can see. Nice materials, the right braze-ons, etc. And the price is okay.

Caygill do make their own frames but this one looks to me to be a "designed by" rather than "made by" offering. Their made-to-measure frames are made in-house and are brazed.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Time to ask for the geometry numbers, I think!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

newtotouring wrote:Hello,

I've lots of parts to build into a suitable, affordable light to medium touring bike and am looking for a frameset other than the Spa Cycles ones.

May I ask why you don't prefer a Spa? - Just curious, certainly not criticising..... we all like a choice.
interestingly looking at the Caygill there is no reference to 'badging bought in frames' indeed they say they have the production facility to make frames in steel and alloy, and carbon fibre . Hmm, Curious
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

The rear pump peg and general look is very reminiscent of the Hewitt Cheviot/Byercycles Aravis/Spa 631 Touring special.

Ghyllside did a very similar 631 Tourer a few years back, as a local audaxer has one. It may be the same. They also used to do a 725 tourer. Their website seems not to list any own brand frames now, however.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If Caygill are actually making their off-the-peg steel frames on site, well done to them. Thorn sell Taiwanese made frames at a similar price point. I can't see how they could be making their carbon frame though. That must be sourced in the Far East, surely.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I suspect it's a (VERY) carefully worded description....... not unusual in business these days, and understandable as most are doing it and it's suicide to get 'left behind'
PH

Post by PH »

mcshroom wrote:The rear pump peg and general look is very reminiscent of the Hewitt Cheviot/Byercycles Aravis/Spa 631 Touring special.

Their 725 version, on the link above, also shares the same distinctive stainless steel dropouts as the others, so I'm pretty certain it is the same. But as said up thread, I don't think it matters, it never has to me with the Hewitt version.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I'm slightly surprised by the difference in price between the 631 frame (£416) and the 725 frame (£600). Even allowing for the extra cost of the stainless steel dropouts I would have expected a smaller price difference. I cannot see that there are any obvious economies in the 631 frame, e.g. the forks are 631 as well.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I came across these 'Howgill' framesets for sale on ebay yesterday, seller in Preston. Described as : 'Howgill Touring Frame Reynolds 725 Chrome-Moly Steel Fork 531'.
It has stainless steel drop-outs similar to a Hewitt Cheviot SE. Available in small/medium /large and four different colours, there are some differences to the Hewitt geometry table shown in this thread of Brucey's about the Hewitt/Byercycles etc frames.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140039&hilit=byercycles
Geometry table in the advert, no connection to seller.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Howgill-Tour ... ondition=3
Clearly described in the ad as a Taiwanese made frame.
Nu-Fogey