Crank puller size too small

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17

Crank puller size too small

Post by robert17 »

People, I tried the newly acquired 70s Stronglight chainset on the restoration bike to try out the old BB and all was great. Really pleased. Got out the crank puller to remove it and to my surprise it is too small a thread. As the picture shows, it just falls in. It fits my Spa chainset on my tourer. Therefore, there must be an older, larger gauge. My research suggests this should be 23.35mm. Could someone direct me to where I could get one from please? Thank you. Robert.
Attachments
IMG_20201015_135336.jpg
IMG_20201015_135344.jpg
robert17

Re: Crank puller size too small

Post by robert17 »

More research shows that they are for sale, but seriously expensive. £100 for some!
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Many thanks for that. £33 is a lot, but the cheapest I've seen.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's also sold by Spa, who with SJSC can be trusted to know what's what with this type of thing. Also, both places are worth supporting for that very reason.

Once upon a time I had one of the original Stronglight tools and the quality was not brilliant. When I no longer had a need for it I passed it on to another forum member. It may be that somebody who still has one will see your thread.

I'll say from experience that keeping old bikes going can be expensive, even when you have a garage full of junk from when it was all the latest thing. Starting from scratch to renovate one will be a financial black hole.

==============================================================================

PS. Remember, even if another forum member has one they are prepared to lend / sell / give away you need to attract their attention. WANTED STRONGLIGHT 49D EXTRACTOR may work. (I'm assuming it's 49D from the thread size.)
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Thanks. I spend my money regularly with both Spa and SJS. They are very useful outlets. However, as you say - money. I set myself a budget for this project and it's getting close already. Put £250 side for frame respray too. The bike is a family heirloom so I feel it is worth it. To a limit mind.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a stronglight 49D crankset in my youth. First time i used the extractor on it it stripped the thread in the crank. I had to resort to a 3 arm puller to get it off. If you remove the crank bolt and do a short ride you may find the crank comes loose on its own. Don't go too far in case you damage it riding it loose. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i'd love to lend you mine but unfortunately its stuck with most of my tools in the lockdown zone :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have several sets of 49D cranks and I am not sure I would actually use any of them; when examined closely they are mostly riddled with tiny cracks; they seem particularly susceptible to stress-corrosion cracking when there is road salt about.

Modern cranks which look about the same (and use the same chainrings, but not the same bottom brackets) are available and make a good choice for folk who are going to use an older bike for serious miles.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Post by scottg »

robert17 wrote:Many thanks for that. £33 is a lot, but the cheapest I've seen.

JA Stein is seriously good stuff, I have one, long live the Stronglight 49D!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++