List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Post by Sweep »

mattsccm wrote:I won't buy the environmental idea. That went long ago as far as cycling goes.

what does this even mean?
Sweep
jb

Post by jb »

Bmblbzzz wrote:What bad experiences have you had with tubeless?

Well, three times now I've nearly frozen to death watching different tubeless aficionados trying to repair a leak that their magic fluids wouldn't touch. And their worms refused to cooperate. I've struggled getting their tyres off to fit tubes and got covered in gunk.
I've seen them used to good effect on off-road tracks abroad where spiny things are more aggressive but I be never seen them worth the bother on a road bike.
Cheers
J Bro
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

People boring on about how wonderful it is :D

I had a puncture the other week (a rare experience) and I was trying to listen for where the hole was and along came two mountain bikers who spent 5 minutes telling me why I should be using tubeless. What I really needed was some peace to fix my problem not why I needed to change my good wheels and tyres!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Shimano 10mm pitch chain fiasco
jb

Post by jb »

Ugly wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Shimano 10mm pitch chain fiasco

So what was the idea behind that? to allow them to claim slicker gear shifting whilst having teeth that wore out in half the time?
Cheers
J Bro
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That's a puzzling one. Innovation for innovation's sake? It was 1976 (according to Wikipedia) so not recent in any case.
1976: Shimano briefly made their own 10 pitch Dura-Ace track-specific system with 10 mm (3⁄8 in) (approximately) pitch from about 1976[13] to 1980[14]—called Shimano Dura-Ace 10 pitch. The Shimano 10 pitch system is incompatible with ANSI standard #40 (1/2") e.g. chains, sprockets and so on,[15][16] and was outlawed by the Japan Keirin Association, helping in its demise.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_chain
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

fatboy wrote:

People boring on about how wonderful it is :D

I had a puncture the other week (a rare experience) and I was trying to listen for where the hole was and along came two mountain bikers who spent 5 minutes telling me why I should be using tubeless. What I really needed was some peace to fix my problem not why I needed to change my good wheels and tyres!

I'm not sure that even qualifies as moral support; maybe you can shut them up by reminding them of the messy business installing the things and the constant 'topping up' required. It reminds me of people who 'only carry a 5mm allen key because that is all they need' and who bother to stop and 'help' people; a thing that can happen is that they are revealed as being so smug they are in some danger of being punched in the face.

I usually stop and help people if they need it but then I'm also likely to be carrying more tools than I need for my bike alone.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Was responding to the idea that bikes should be cheap and also that they should be environmentally friendly. They are not espcially in many ways.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mattsccm wrote:Was responding to the idea that bikes should be cheap and also that they should be environmentally friendly. They are not espcially in many ways.

Bikes are cheaper now (in relative terms) than they have ever been before.

Not all bikes are equally friendly to the environment. However even the worst plastic horror with a transmission that lasts five minutes is better than pretty much anything with a motor in it.

cheers
jb

Post by jb »

mattsccm wrote:But why does everything have to have a long life? It can be fun to have something new and boring to have to hang on to something that won't wear out.
I won't buy the environmental idea. That went long ago as far as cycling goes.

Everything doesn't need a long life, it needs a life that is proportional to the cost of buying it. If sacrifices in durability have been made for unusual lightness then it should be clearly marked for 'event use only'.
Cheers
J Bro
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

This is why I think tubeless tyres are pointless on road bikes. Last night at around 7:30pm. The tyre was a 35c Vittoria Hyper Voyager (my last pair <sob>). I've yet to check the tyre for equivalent damage.

Puncture2.jpg
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mine is bigger than yours :mrgreen:
Well I reckon it's heavier anyway, but no 8 mm Allen key!
Didn't hurt when I tried to help someone with their crank bolt come loose.
But I had another go, a screwdriver and a six mil Allen key and I managed to tighten it up ha ha.
I keep meaning to buy one of those 6 to 8 mm thigumyjibs that go on the end of the six mil Allen key?
I don't need a whole set of got plenty of those, just a bit.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

Did anyone say eccentric bottom brackets? Not sure if it a "recent" innovation. I first came across one such BB on a Santos touring bike a few years ago.

From a touring perspective I really like detachable frames with S&S couplers to make air travel with your bike less awkward. Co-motion makes good sturdy steel touring frames with these couplers.

https://co-motion.com/pages/frame
Last edited by Cyckelgalen on 17 Oct 2020, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:….I keep meaning to buy one of those 6 to 8 mm thigumyjibs that go on the end of the six mil Allen key?

If you have any kind of 8mm spanner, a short length of 8mm allen key is all you need.

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Brucey wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:….I keep meaning to buy one of those 6 to 8 mm thigumyjibs that go on the end of the six mil Allen key?

If you have any kind of 8mm spanner, a short length of 8mm allen key is all you need.

cheers

Ha I never thought of that :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.