Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:Speculation was disproven with schools due to covid studies aiui from various government advisers being interviewed and being asked about schools transmission. Apparently research has disproven the idea that school transmission is more significant rate than the average community transmission. Myths linger on.

I thought the research went further than that and claimed the tranmission rate was insignificant? One problem with that "research" is the why of it. Is the virus the kids get different from the ones adults get? If it is the same virus then transmission issues come down to other factors. And what hasnt been proven false is the matter of other viruses like the flu where schools are a main transmission agent. ( you ask any teacher) So we have a conundrum that needs explaining. Presumably the "research" is only statistical in nature using sample theory, its not infallible.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm not aware of any conundrum.

The contribution of a particular mode of contact doesn't have to be the same for different diseases caused by different viruses.

And how would "any teacher" know the relative contribution of the different possible routes of transmission?

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Bugs going round school have to originate in wider community. Compared to similar close contact working environments I wonder whether there's much difference? I have worked at places which had such mass infection as claimed for schools.

Realistically I would have thought it's more about mode of transmission and the likelihood that conditions for infection are met. Kids are disgusting at times, wiping snot on sleeves, coughing without covering mouth etc. Unfortunately I work with people like that and they're adults.

Schools go back about the same time as a change in weather/ season after a long break. A period of holidays and opportunities to catch bugs from other areas. Then straight back into school and the perception of loads of kids catching the same cold or flu. It's often perceived risk that drives myths and that return to school and flu season starting probably reinforces schools being super spreading. It will take a lot of evidence to change that anecdotal based perception. Btw which is more accurate, anecdotal perception or "evidence" or statistical studies of records?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Why put evidence in quotation marks?

Evidence-based methods for this sort of stuff are pretty mature.

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well it seems part of London didnt think it was

Covid: Southall wedding venue hosts 100-guest reception :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

what will it take to get thru to these cretins?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54564448
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

A good start would be consistent messages that are based on what is known and acknowledge what isn't.

But people have a free choice of where to get their information, and choosing more reliable sources would also help.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I rarely bother reading any theories from medical experts they often like to contradict each other.
I’ll carry on with my behaviour learned from a lifetime experience working with animals.
Keep infected stock apart and if you really want a problem stock them tightly and stick them in a shed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:I rarely bother reading any theories from medical experts they often like to contradict each other.

That's precisely where evidence-based methods help.

Jonathan
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

mercalia wrote:well it seems part of London didnt think it was

Covid: Southall wedding venue hosts 100-guest reception :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get through? I doubt there's a single person in the country who is unaware that a gathering of 100 people is a no-no.

Another report here: https://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/natio ... reception/ courtesy of AsianImage "The voice of the Asian community".

We can but hope ...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

DaveReading wrote:
mercalia wrote:well it seems part of London didnt think it was

Get through? I doubt there's a single person in the country who is unaware that a gathering of 100 people is a no-no.

Another report here: https://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/natio ... reception/ courtesy of AsianImage "The voice of the Asian community".

We can but hope ...

I dont know about that. I contronted a couple in my local lidl ( only becuase they were in the queue infront of me & I nearly bumped into them) about not wearing face coverings and the guy claimed it wasnt the law since the police werent enforcing it. :roll: what universe are these people living in :roll:
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

mercalia wrote:I dont know about that. I contronted a couple in my local lidl ( only becuase they were in the queue infront of me & I nearly bumped into them) about not wearing face coverings and the guy claimed it wasnt the law since the police werent enforcing it. :roll: what universe are these people living in :roll:

Not the universe I was brought up in, that's for sure.
Sixty years ago Antibiotics were scarce, colds and chills could easily develop into something nasty, there wasn't much you could do about it except for some of the quaint habits we were encouraged to practice. Things like keeping your germs to yourself, by not spitting on the floor, putting something over your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. Most people did it. You never heard people making a fuss about it, even though there were always some who didn't bother.
I do realise that there are a lot of other factors involved in the larger picture at the moment, but facemasks seem to have been a trigger point for a lot of people from the outset.
Just how did we get to a state where using a piece of cloth to keep your germs to yourself becomes so contentious?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
pwa

Post by pwa »

On Friday the whole of Wales goes into a variety of lockdown for 17 days, with the hope that it will stall the train of transmission. Opinions vary as to how effective that will be. It won't directly affect me too much. My wife and I are both in jobs deemed essential so we carry on as usual, but we can only visit shops that sell "essentials" and we cannot take non-essential journeys. Except for bike rides, which count as exercise, and that is allowed in any size portion so long as you start and finish at your home and don't stay anywhere else overnight.

My son, in his early twenties, was told by the lady behind the counter in our village shop that his generation had put us in the situation we are in. He visited her shop to buy a newspaper for an older person in our area who is isolating due to a positive test. He is also a carer (in the professional sense) and he is a student nurse who has done twelve hour shifts caring for Covid patients. We will not be going in that shop again.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote:Why put evidence in quotation marks?

Jonathan

Reference to kids getting colds in autumn term being the likely origin.of schools being bug vectors. when that so called evidence backing that theory up is probably more likely because it's the start of cold and flu season and the wider population is also getting more colds. People have perceptions of what's happening that isn't always backed up by fact or research. My anecdotal evidence / perception is that when schools are encountering a run of kids with colds work is too.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Why put evidence in quotation marks?

Jonathan

Reference to kids getting colds in autumn term being the likely origin.of schools being bug vectors. when that so called evidence backing that theory up is probably more likely because it's the start of cold and flu season and the wider population is also getting more colds. People have perceptions of what's happening that isn't always backed up by fact or research. My anecdotal evidence / perception is that when schools are encountering a run of kids with colds work is too.

I would expect that kids, being human beings, would pick up and pass on viruses like any other age group. I would assume that until there is firm evidence to the contrary, because that is how we manage risks that have not been thoroughly researched. We go with what seems likely until we have firmer evidence to go off. It baffles me why anyone would think it most likely that kids don't pass it on like other age groups. If that turns out to be the case, great, that would be a big help. But why assume that until we know for sure? It feels a bit like wishful thinking in a desperate situation. We want the kids back at school so we want them not to be virus vectors.......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Overkill?
Overkill?