Cheap Road Bike for a newbie

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
GeekDadZoid

Re: Cheap Road Bike for a newbie

Postby GeekDadZoid » 17 Oct 2020, 3:37pm

Looks like I am sorted now as long as the reality matches the pictures then I should be getting a Dawes Giro 300 tomorrow.

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 18 Oct 2020, 9:58am

GeekDadZoid wrote:Looks like I am sorted now as long as the reality matches the pictures then I should be getting a Dawes Giro 300 tomorrow.

That looks like an ideal first road bike. I don't know the year of your model but the 2011 model reviewed here seems an excellent first road bike. They don't give it a high review because its heavy but such reviewers are weight obsessed. That should be a great first road bike, cheap to maintain, very safe with its steel forks and the wider rims should mean you can put on larger more comfortable tyres.

If you really get into cycling and want a lighter bike later the Giro will still be a great winter bike or commuting bike or when you need a bike when the risk of theft is much greater.

They are saying the weight is 11.34kg so not a bad weight at all even with the heavy hybrid wheels so likely the frame and other components are pretty decent.

Obviously the spec of yours maybe different if earlier or later but there aren't a lot of reviews of the Giro 300 and Dawes have long since given up selling road bikes like this so not sure when the Giro 300 ended production.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... lideshow=1

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 18 Oct 2020, 11:48am

Bonzo Banana wrote:
GeekDadZoid wrote:Looks like I am sorted now as long as the reality matches the pictures then I should be getting a Dawes Giro 300 tomorrow.

That looks like an ideal first road bike. I don't know the year of your model but the 2011 model reviewed here seems an excellent first road bike. They don't give it a high review because its heavy but such reviewers are weight obsessed. That should be a great first road bike, cheap to maintain, very safe with its steel forks and the wider rims should mean you can put on larger more comfortable tyres.

If you really get into cycling and want a lighter bike later the Giro will still be a great winter bike or commuting bike or when you need a bike when the risk of theft is much greater.

They are saying the weight is 11.34kg so not a bad weight at all even with the heavy hybrid wheels so likely the frame and other components are pretty decent.

Obviously the spec of yours maybe different if earlier or later but there aren't a lot of reviews of the Giro 300 and Dawes have long since given up selling road bikes like this so not sure when the Giro 300 ended production.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... lideshow=1

Thanks for all the positive suggestions and advice, it's nice to find others who don't think you have to spend £100s

I went to get the bike this morning with the understanding that if it was not as described I wouldn't be taking it, however it is better that described to be honest, the original owner suggested he hadn't ridden it far and it's been in dry storage for many years and I believe him.

I think (he couldn't remember) it must be a slightly earlier model, it's branded Dawes Giro Three Hundred rather than Giro 300 like some of the other models. It also has the Sora R3300 rather than the Claris on the 2011 model.

It's a 54cm frame which seems to be just right for me, online guides suggested I should look at a 56, but I have quite short legs, 28 inch in seam so this was just right.

It feels so light.

Managed to get a quick spin around the park and it feels much more natural with drop handle bars that I expected, the shifting and braking is nice.

Hopefully get out for a few miles later or tomorrow lunch.

cotterpins

Postby cotterpins » 8 Nov 2020, 5:42pm

Please explain to an oldie what is meant by an "Hybrid" bike. when I was young we had track, touring, time trial, mass start cycles. Oh, and unicycles along with tricycles.

pigman

Postby pigman » 8 Nov 2020, 6:31pm

It's half way between a touring bike and a mountain bike.
So 700c ( road size) wheels, but probably fatter tyres, but not as extreme as mountain bike width. The forks may have suspension for comfort, but won't have as much travel as a mtb. It will have flat bars and mountain bike controls, but probably not the extreme 40T plus sprockets of a modern mtb. And the handlebars will be very upright.
It's essentially a road utility bike that will cope with rough roads and shopping loads

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 8 Nov 2020, 8:15pm

pigman wrote:It's half way between a touring bike and a mountain bike.
So 700c ( road size) wheels, but probably fatter tyres, but not as extreme as mountain bike width. The forks may have suspension for comfort, but won't have as much travel as a mtb. It will have flat bars and mountain bike controls, but probably not the extreme 40T plus sprockets of a modern mtb. And the handlebars will be very upright.
It's essentially a road utility bike that will cope with rough roads and shopping loads

I hadn't seen the above question, but your answer is pretty perfect.

I run 35mm tyres on my hybrid bit can fit a fair bit fatter.

But very much a utility bike, Jack of all trades so to speak.