Fitting different pannier rack to ebike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: Fitting different pannier rack to ebike

Post by Jdsk »

I was just wondering if now that they're in front of you there looks like any possibility of mating the two? Possibly with some other bits joining the party?

Ax well as the option explored above about the new rack/ mudguard/ wiring?

Jonathan
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jancathy wrote:I wish it would hurry up as I want to get on with it
Jancathy wrote:Once it comes, I can order the bits I need. I wish I could get them now as everything is getting in short supply

I described above the process of offering up the rack alongside the existing rack to see how it is likely to fit. When I am fitting something like a new rack, I often repeat the process of offering up more than once, trying to make sure that I understand exactly how it will fit, what the task itself will involve, and that I have not missed anything. Very often I make a point of putting off doing the actual task until another day.

If a task is rushed or tackled in a hurry, a mistake is more likely. For example, if it's necessary to make a new hole in the mudguard to attach it to the new rack, there may be a danger of damaging the cable or whatever* carries the circuit to the light (*some rear dynamo lights would use a thin metal foil strip embedded in the extruded plastic of the mudguard to provide one of connections). With potentially fiddly tasks like this it is best to take your time.

With regard to ordering the items you would need, it's unlikely that they will be sold out everywhere: they are fairly slow selling niche items. Again I take my time before ordering parts, because often after thinking it over I realise that another component would be better or I decide that I can do without it.

More haste, less speed.
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Checking on order, I see it is coming from Germany, so that’s the reason it’s slower. No worries though as gives me time to plan. I will probably be needing your wise heads again once I have it here. It will be a good feeling once it’s on and I can use my bag.
It’s good to have all this advice and it’s much appreciated.
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

After waiting patiently for my rack to arrive, company told me there has been an error and it’s still in the warehouse in Germany! Looks like I will have to be even more patient!
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Hi again
At last, My rack has arrived but unfortunately it is too short by about half an inch. It is supposed to be for a 26 inch wheel but will be too close to mudguard pushing it down on tyre - the ne t size up is supposed to be for. 28 inch wheel. Should I have bought that one I wonder.
Does anyone know if there is so e kind of piece that could be fitted to eXtend the struts by about an inch. If not I will have to forget the idea which is a shame as it’s just what I wanted.
I hope someone sees this post and can offer me more advice. Grateful thanks.
Jane
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Photo, please, and one of it held up against the bike.

Jonathan

PS: With that problem I'd still be trying the bag on the original rack and fettling the fittings...
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

A5023AC8-0214-4057-9C0B-38344A2A3E07.jpeg

Is this what I need please?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jancathy wrote:At last, My rack has arrived but unfortunately it is too short by about half an inch. It is supposed to be for a 26 inch wheel but will be too close to mudguard pushing it down on tyre - the ne t size up is supposed to be for. 28 inch wheel. Should I have bought that one I wonder.

I would send it back and exchange it for the 28", which is the correct size for your bike*.

* For various reasons the wheel size of your bike can be called 700C, 28", 622 or 29er/29". They are all the same size, and are defined by the fact that the diameter of the bead seat on which the tyre sits inside the rim is 622mm, but 622 is usually only used to describe the tyre size. 700C is a traditional (french?) measurement, 29" is used for MTBs (it refers to the approximate outside diameter of the wider MTB tyres on that size rim) and the Germans use 28" (except for MTBs, for which they too use 29er/29").

The technical drawing for the rack is here, and shows that the 28" rack is 25mm higher (371mm - 346mm).

Even though it sounds like you would not have much weight on the rack if you are just using a racktop bag, I would always use the correct mounting point and fittings designed for the purpose. I suppose you could fit p-clips to the bottom of the seat stays, but it's a bodge and not something I would do, when for the cost of return postage and a bit more patience the correct sized rack could be fitted in the correct mounting points.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jancathy wrote:A5023AC8-0214-4057-9C0B-38344A2A3E07.jpeg
Is this what I need please?

No. It is only designed to work with certain Tubus racks which have two eyelets to which the bracket can be fastened, whereas your rack only has single eyelets. As per the Tubus website.

Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Does that mean I should have ordered a 29 inch rack going by the tyre size then?

Tyre say WTB 1.75 29 . It’s all very confusing as I thought rack size meant size of wheel not complete with tyres. I have a lot to learn.
Yes, you are right. I will return it for the correct one. If you could clarify if my tyre size is also the rack size before I make another mistake! Pity they get sent from Germany though.
Thanks Jane
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Jancathy wrote:It’s all very confusing...
Isn't it just. Grab a mug of your beverage of choice, then read Sheldon Brown's exposition on the subject. Should be clearer now?
"42"
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jancathy wrote:Does that mean I should have ordered a 29 inch rack going by the tyre size then?

Not for a 1.75" wide tyre. That is only 45mm, whereas typically true MTB tyres are much wider and taller and few racks are designed to cope with them, because there is not much demand for racks for 29er MTBs with typical wide MTB tyres.

WTB is a US brand which produces components mainly for MTBs as opposed to road or touring type bikes, and hence it uses the 29" imperial designation even for narrow tyres that would never be fitted to an MTB. In the UK market that tyre is more likely to be described as 700 x 45, which is the size Ridgeback gives on its website for your bike - "WTB RIDDLER 700X45C REFLEX".

Jancathy wrote:If you could clarify if my tyre size is also the rack size before I make another mistake!

I've provided the link to the dimensions of your rack, including the 28" size. Use a tape measure and compare those measurements with the distance from the bottom rack mounting eyelet with the top of the mudguard. You should be able to determine for yourself how well the 28" rack will fit.
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Again, Thankyou for advice you have given. Now to get out the tape measure - again! Rack packed up and ready to go back to Germany. Next time,I WILL get it right.
Jane
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Golly,
I just looked up Sheldon Brown’s website and found loads of interesting topics to read. What a clever and knowledgeable man and such a shame his life was cut short. I had better try and educate myself......never too old to learn!
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

]I fitted a different rack to my Ebike . I looked at Cube bike with an integral rack but realised panniers would not fit the rack The only panniers that fitted were Cube`s panniers. I bought a Cube without a rack . As I have not been impressed with the racks available in UK Their bottom mount being a single strut with a hole in it I bought a rack in Germany it had an adjustable bottom mount.

The bottom fitting was straight forward into existing holes. The forward mount was harder I was thinking of using the mudguard mounting using brackets but this would have been not very strong I bought from SJS wrap around mounts these are available in various lengths as p& p is per parcel I bought all 3 lengths . I put heatshrink on them to avoid chafing. As I have stays on the mudguard I found it vibrated over rough tracks so I fitted a bracket from the rear light mount.
As I have an LED rear light in the mudguard I fitted a rear light just for the reflector. I only use the lights for bad weather but this light would give me options if I want to upgrade my lighting.
For your rack I suggest you leave the mudguard with light intact. Remove the "nurses lock" this is a standard lock fitted to all bikes in Europe it should be secured with 2 screws. The mudguard can be unscrewed from the rack and the rack "sawn off". Fit the new rack and the mudguard can be secured be making a bracket from the rear light mount, The mudguard should be quite rigid as it had no struts fitted from the manufacturer. You could fit struts if it moves about at a later date.
[img]
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
[/img]
Attachments
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG