Rohan sale

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Rohan sale

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:I like Rohan stuff, my most cycled in trousers are their Troggings, and having just had a count up I also have; Two pairs of trousers, at least 5 years old and can't remember what they're called. A polo shirt that always comes touring with me because it's comfortable enough and I know it dries overnight. A softshell jacket which is casual enough to wear anywhere yet surprisingly good on the bike. A T shirt that isn't a favourite, but gets plenty of wear. I'm glad they've moved away from the dedicated outdoors kit, I need some element of that, but for my use it doesn't have to be that technical. I don't doubt the point above that you can probably find similar cheaper, but having never been disappointed with Rohan I'm inclined to look there first. I've only worn a couple of things out and I've considered them to have lasted well. Plus, there's not many suppliers who offer the same level of information about those things that are important to me, pack size, weight, drying time, UV protection. I only ever buy at sale prices, but am not an impulse buyer, I own more than enough stuff already, if I buy something it's usually as a replacement.

But I have great, lightweight, well fitting and quick drying hiking trousers from well known and respected brands, which have lasted years and years and are still as good as new, but I've bought them from cheaper retailers, often in sales, and on the rare occasions I have been into a Rohan shop I have seen similar stuff at hugely inflated prices. Unless they grant you the gift of levitation I can't see what additional benefits paying Rohan prices will bring.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

Made in middle earth by relatives of jrr Tolkein
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

If alan partridge ever takes up cycling he'd wear rohan.
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:But I have great, lightweight, well fitting and quick drying hiking trousers from well known and respected brands, which have lasted years and years and are still as good as new, but I've bought them from cheaper retailers, often in sales, and on the rare occasions I have been into a Rohan shop I have seen similar stuff at hugely inflated prices. Unless they grant you the gift of levitation I can't see what additional benefits paying Rohan prices will bring.

Good for you. If you know of anything similar to the Troggings I'd be pleased to hear about them.
For more normal casual trousers, I'm sure there are decent alternatives, those I've tried have been 50/50 satisfactory/disappointing. Poor fit, lengthy dry time, didn't last, uncomfortable to cycle in. Craighoppers, M&S, Peter Storm, Regatta, have all disappointed. As I said, I've been happy with the Rohan stuff, I see paying a premium for that degree of certainty (Though there's no guarantee) less wasteful than taking a chance on something else. YMMV
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:
pwa wrote:But I have great, lightweight, well fitting and quick drying hiking trousers from well known and respected brands, which have lasted years and years and are still as good as new, but I've bought them from cheaper retailers, often in sales, and on the rare occasions I have been into a Rohan shop I have seen similar stuff at hugely inflated prices. Unless they grant you the gift of levitation I can't see what additional benefits paying Rohan prices will bring.

Good for you. If you know of anything similar to the Troggings I'd be pleased to hear about them.
For more normal casual trousers, I'm sure there are decent alternatives, those I've tried have been 50/50 satisfactory/disappointing. Poor fit, lengthy dry time, didn't last, uncomfortable to cycle in. Craighoppers, M&S, Peter Storm, Regatta, have all disappointed. As I said, I've been happy with the Rohan stuff, I see paying a premium for that degree of certainty (Though there's no guarantee) less wasteful than taking a chance on something else. YMMV

To be clear, I am talking hiking trousers, not cycling. For cycling I use Humvees for their velcro adjustments to lower legs and ankles. If Rohan do cycle fit trousers that have something to stop bagginess at the ankle and lower leg, fair enough, maybe I need to take a look.
rjb

Post by rjb »

There's a large Rohan shop in Dunster (Somerset) which also has a clearance section where you can pick up heavily discounted bargain items. Mrs Rjb is an occasional visitor there when we have a day out to visit Dunster Castle. (NT). I bring a large rucksack to carry our picnic then after lunch her shopping. :(
And in these covid times where there fitting rooms are closed there is a handy public toilet next door where she can try her bargains on immediately after purchase in case they don't fit. :shock:
https://www.rohan.co.uk/home/shop/dunster
Last edited by rjb on 18 Oct 2020, 4:52pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:To be clear, I am talking hiking trousers, not cycling.

Yes, your use may well be different to me, that's why I was careful to say "For my use" in my original post, what works for you may well not work for me and the opposite of course.
I cycle most days, sometimes several times a day, often as a part of something else, I don't want to be changing in and out of "cycling clothes". So most days, I want to be wearing something that I'm happy to cycle in, even if that includes the addition of a trouser clip.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:
pwa wrote:To be clear, I am talking hiking trousers, not cycling.

Yes, your use may well be different to me, that's why I was careful to say "For my use" in my original post, what works for you may well not work for me and the opposite of course.
I cycle most days, sometimes several times a day, often as a part of something else, I don't want to be changing in and out of "cycling clothes". So most days, I want to be wearing something that I'm happy to cycle in, even if that includes the addition of a trouser clip.

I do use clips on short journeys, usually with jeans, but on trips over a couple of miles I always go for my cycle-specific clothing. It used to be lycra but these days it is "baggy", but with well disciplined ankle action. Humvees aren't quite as quick drying as some of my walking gear and if anyone knows of cycle-specific trousers that are an improvement I'd be interested to hear.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Don't worry, folk. If you don't like Rohan products you are not compelled to buy them. Some do like them which is the only reason I submitted the OP. I wasn't making a case for them! :D
John
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Unfortunately the Rohan item I liked is no longer made, the bags for Ladies :(
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:Don't worry, folk. If you don't like Rohan products you are not compelled to buy them. Some do like them which is the only reason I submitted the OP. I wasn't making a case for them! :D

And perhaps I was just being a grumpy old so-and-so :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Don't worry, folk. If you don't like Rohan products you are not compelled to buy them. Some do like them which is the only reason I submitted the OP. I wasn't making a case for them! :D

I think I have the edge when it comes to grumpiness :D
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pwa wrote:

I sense a challenge!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
pwa wrote:And perhaps I was just being a grumpy old so-and-so :lol:

I sense a challenge!

No contest. I have Olympic Gold.