SL 1050 downtube shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cooper_coleraine

SL 1050 downtube shifters

Post by cooper_coleraine »

I have these on my 1987 Raleigh Randonneur. They have become very difficult to move and I want to change them. They operate a triple chainwheel and a 6 speed freewheel. They are indexed. What do I need to replace them? I have a new set of SL-R400 8 speed shifting levers. Will these work?
many thanks.
Brucey

Re: SL 1050 downtube shifters

Post by Brucey »

will 8s shifters 'work'? Not on a 6s setup, not in indexed mode. And indexed mode is the only mode you have got with RH SL-R400 levers.

Do you have band-on levers or braze-on type? If the latter, one screw retains each lever. The bezel (chrome piece) at the back of each lever may not want to come off, but then again it might be the same between the two different sort of levers as well.

FWIW I would lube the RH lever and adjust the tension in the LH lever. You may find that the old levers have life left in them yet.

chees
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I don't think 8sp levers will shift 6sp....although I'm prepared to be wrong!
However I have a pair of 6sp levers marked SL-S434 (switchable friction/index) which were working when I took them off, and still seem to be working, which I'm happy to swap for your 8 speed levers.
I guess you have tried oiling the stiff levers?
Aren't all the bezels the same? (except bar end different to D/T)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote:...Aren't all the bezels the same? (except bar end different to D/T)

in early levers I think they might be. However in later levers they are not; there are at least two different versions of the RH bezel. Always best to double- check!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

It could be an issue elsewhere so check for stiction in the cables and the mechs. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

Thanks for all your advice, offers etc.. Oiling helped. I notice a hairline crack in the bezel so there may be trouble ahead. The operation meets more resistance than I have been used to withdown shifters so I am checking the front derailleur and replacing the cable.